Movies for hardcore sci-fi geeks

In summary, Shane Carruth's Primer is a well-done, complex science fiction film that may be too difficult for some viewers. It's an excellent movie that is sure to entertain those who enjoy time travel and scientific fiction.
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for that link Noisy but it says that The Expanse is available in Singapore.. that's it.

enorbet said:
Thanks for that link Noisy but it says that The Expanse is available in Singapore.. that's it.
You have to wait for it to show up on Youtube then?

Another recent Netflix release Is "Glitch" an Australian production. More like X-files. If you accept the premise the story is interesting.

Likes Noisy Rhysling
gleem said:
Another recent Netflix release Is "Glitch" an Australian production. More like X-files. If you accept the premise the story is interesting.
Just started watching that. Though its seems to be almost identical to The Returned.

Noisy Rhysling said:
You have to wait for it to show up on Youtube then?

Or get a Singapore Sling-box? ;)

LOVED "The Arrival". The box of books...

Likes enorbet
Alright, I've got two new ones. Neither is strictly what I'd normally recommend to truly hardcore SF nerdy crowd, but they're worthwhile in their own way.

First is the British-made 'Anti Matter'. It kinda tries to pull of a Primer, but is not as committed to hardcore accuracy (so you do get e.g. monitors displaying 1s and 0s, as if that were readable by anyone, ever). But it's an interesting, and different than your run-of-the-mill SF film treatment. As for the plot, think of it as the standard Star Trek problem of what happens when you teleport a person.
Flawed, but a good watch nonetheless.

The second one, is the oddly titled: 'Science Fiction Volume One: The Osiris Child'. Now what is the tile meant to signify, I don't quite understand. But anyway.
It's a SF film reminiscent of what used to come out in the 80s and 90s - just a fun and well made, but fiercely original romp, working around its low budget to surprisingly good effect. There are some monsters, alright - although probably their design is the weakest part of the film. But mostly its the kind of fun you get when you watch Mad Max'es (also Aussie flicks) or perhaps more closely related, Pitch Black - there's an outline of a larger, fun world that is not over-explained, and you're just honed in on the immediate character drama for which the world is just a backdrop.
It's not terribly deep, but oh, so much fun. Seriously, it's been a while since I've experienced this kind of SF.Both films are notable for what can be achieved with a limited budget and a good idea. The first is made pretty much out of shots of Oxford, some indoor sets, and a few extras. The second one is mostly Australian desolation, a few bits of serviceable CGI, and very few SF sets.

Likes Torbert
Both thumbs up for "The Arrival" ! It's not exactly monster fare. It isn't Space Opera. It doesn't have scantily clad Moon Maidens BUT it is up there on a par with 2001 and Contact. In fact in some ways it is even better because it is so believable with just a few teensy weensy A"suspend disbelief" points. The climax is truly excellent and a mind-blower.

Likes Noisy Rhysling
No one has seen Avengers: Endgame yet?

Was it so boring no discussions here or the topic is banned temporary to avoid spoilers?

I admit I was a bit pissed as I read the spoiler in the headlines before watching it.

Once the dusts have settled, and most have watched it. Then someone start the thread. I want you to share the phrases that involved those scientific jargons. I couldn't remember the exact lines such as "Eigenvalues", etc. Also is Tony Stark a physicist? He can single handedly work out new theories as well as single handed build something more complex than LHC! He may be much brighter than Edward Witten who hasn't even built a jet pack yet. Tony Stark is just phenomenal!

enorbet said:
Both thumbs up for "The Arrival"

I was disappointed when I first saw The Arrival at the cinema, but watched it on TV a couple of years later, and changed my mind. Very emotive and quite intelligent.

ARQ wasn't bad, kind of a violent Groundhog Day premise that was pretty tense. And Ex Machina was good. Very thought provoking and I loved the ending.

But the hard sci fi movie that really blew my mind was Predestination. Based on Heinlein's "__All You Zombies__" short story, and wow, what an elaboration of the concept.

Anyone seen High Life? It's like a love child of Silent Running and Tarkovsky's Solaris.

Tghu Verd said:
I was disappointed when I first saw The Arrival at the cinema, but watched it on TV a couple of years later, and changed my mind. Very emotive and quite intelligent.

ARQ wasn't bad, kind of a violent Groundhog Day premise that was pretty tense. And Ex Machina was good. Very thought provoking and I loved the ending.

But the hard sci fi movie that really blew my mind was Predestination. Based on Heinlein's "__All You Zombies__" short story, and wow, what an elaboration of the concept.

I wanted my mind to be blown yesterday so I watched Predestination. Yes. It was superb!

More spectacular sci fi movies recommendations please? I'm tired of Thanos and alike already.

Likes member 656954
cube137 said:
I wanted my mind to be blown yesterday so I watched Predestination. Yes. It was superb!

More spectacular sci fi movies recommendations please? I'm tired of Thanos and alike already.

Tolkien has just come out, I will be interested to see where he got his inspiration for LOTR and the Hobbit. He was in the great war so no doubt that will feature, I read 'the dead marshes' were based on the trenches but I don't know much else.

pinball1970 said:
Tolkien has just come out, I will be interested to see where he got his inspiration for LOTR and the Hobbit. He was in the great war so no doubt that will feature, I read 'the dead marshes' were based on the trenches but I don't know much else.
I do know that the Hobbits got their legendary stoicism from the British folk during the war. Like the British Tolkien admired, Hobbits are all stiff upper lip, and just keep getting up and moving.

DaveC426913 said:
I do know that the Hobbits got their legendary stoicism from the British folk during the war. Like the British Tolkien admired, Hobbits are all stiff upper lip, and just keep getting up and moving.
I was obsessed with the books when I was a teenager but a bit disappointed with cartoon when I got round to seeing it. Too much was left out.
Not nearly as disappointed as when I saw Peter Jackson version, all that hype money and great actors and beautiful New Zealand sets and they still messed stuff up and made pointless additions and story changes.

I'll never forgive the Guardian for claiming the film was true to the book in the review I read.
The reviewers had probably read a precis or teachers notes.

Recently watched Train to Busan, a Korean zombie flick that was actually pretty good. I'm not really into the Zombie genre (other than ones like Zombieland & Shaun of the Dead etc) but this one was pretty entertaining. Worth a watch.

Just watched Into the Spiderverse.
Gorgeous artwork.
Preposterously silly plot.
But highly entertaining in true Marvel form.

Has The Titan been mentioned? It is embedded with science, and is entirely believable if you accept the premise of bioengineering a human to swim the methane seas of Titan :smile:

BTW while this might be "bringing coals to Newcastle" I figured I'd better be perfectly clear that my reference and kudos above for The Arrival does not refer to the Charlie sheen movie of a few years earlier. I was referring to this one https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543164/.

The Charlie Sheen movie isn't all that bad but it is like comparing 1990's Dick Tracy film to The Godfather in this case.

BTW while not a cinema house movie the TV series The Expanse is very decent. It's been mentioned here along with Black Mirror both of which i am indebted to this thread for the introduction. Isn't it great that a hard science forum also caters to serious imagination?

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I've been enjoying the Netflix series Dark. Not usual hard scifi, and ignore the few cases of technobabble but the core premise is handled a lot better than in most other sci-fi's IMHO.

Coherence, for anyone who is a fan of Primer and other low-budget, high-concept science fiction films. Zero special effects, and most of it takes place in a suburban dining room. It plays around with QM concepts - admittedly at the pop-sci level, but it's definitely no Endgame, and the ending is pretty fantastic. It's currently one of my favorite SF films.

Upstream Color, also by Shane Carruth of Primer fame, is another good one.

I enjoyed Annihilation a lot, though the book is better, and the film added a few dramatic elements that didn't need to be there. It's still pretty solid and the visual presentation is amazing.

I watched Ghostbusters 2016 again to in time for Halloween mood. There were a lot of special effects and they lost hundreds of millions of dollars. I think the reason was they tried to make it as comedy. The story concept was sound yet those women like that blonde trying to act funny and silly was I think what destroyed it. It was just so uncalled for. They should have titled it 4 Stooges instead.

The last Ghostbusters movie was about opening gateway so that the realm of the ghosts or spirits would have access to our world.

I want to watch similar movies with same themes where there were gateways that got opened. Event Horizon and Hellboy was one of them. What have you watched that have stuff about gateways and opening them?

And in our physics. What are the gateways counterpart? Is it only wormhole, and nothing more?

new6ton said:
What have you watched that have stuff about gateways and opening them?
Stargate
In the Mouth of Madness
The Gate
Pacific Rim

and of course:
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe ;)

Bandersnatch said:
Stargate
In the Mouth of Madness
The Gate
Pacific Rim

and of course:
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe ;)

I haven't watched yet

1. The Gate
2. In the Mouth of Madness
3. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Thanks. Will start looking for them. More guys!

new6ton said:
I haven't watched yet

1. The Gate
2. In the Mouth of Madness
3. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Thanks. Will start looking for them. More guys!

By the way. The language used for Ghostbusters 2016 is "Barrier". Not "Gateway". I think there is a distinction between Barrier and Gateway? Gateway is more physical. Barrier more subtle and natural. So what other sci-fi flicks with ideas about Barrier?

new6ton said:
I think there is a distinction between Barrier and Gateway?
Certainly. They are polar opposites.

A gateway provides access.
A barrier prevents access.

Now, a gateway can have a barrier - such as a gate. So, in the 2016 GB, they're talking about the barrier preventing the greeblies from passing through the gateway.

Likes new6ton
Anything on Terry Pratchett's Discworld. I thought Going Postal was quite well done ; their depiction of
Adora Belle as a Goth with S&M overtones
was brilliant and apropos IMHO (something I missed in reading the novel, if it was even there in the first place).

Last edited:
hmmm27 said:
Anything on Terry Pratchett's Discworld.
?
Is this a movie?

Trying to tie your post to the thread topic...

DaveC426913 said:
Trying to tie your post to the thread topic...

An internally consistent(ish) fictional science framework ; alternative to deciding which handwavium elements to ignore in a future "real world". (Embedded link added to previous post, for clarification).

DaveC426913 said:

Now, a gateway can have a barrier - such as a gate. So, in the 2016 GB, they're talking about the barrier preventing the greeblies from passing through the gateway.

How about the atmosphere of the planet. Do you call it a barrier (or gateway) against very strong UV rays or how about the magnetic field that enclose the planet that protects it from cosmic rays, is it a barrier or gateway?

In this context. Barrier means it is all around us, but barrier is there to allow major filtering. It's better to use than saying "The atmosphere of the planet serves as gateway to powerful UV rays". Or the "magnetic field of Earth serves as gateway to cosmic rays". Are there people using such language?

So when I said I wanted movies about Barriers. I guess it is about something that protects from what is all around us. Not about Stargate which is a one place gateway.

DaveC426913 said:

I want to know whether to use the language of gateway or barrier when presenting the following to physicists someday for example (Today is Holloween day, so let me share this in this special day).

etheric.jpg
In our body, and when we got the right quantum interpretation. It will be known that there are extensions (to so called astral plane) that is directly connected to our awareness in addition to neurons.

For your Halloween adventures. Try to meet people with the shield (barrier? not gateway, right?) broken. You would see he is like possessed by entities from the astral planes. There is a tested method in the world now that can seal the crack barrier. Result is instant relief from the intrusion from the astral plane. Note all drug addicts who commit very violent crimes is due to the shield (barrier) damaged resulting in intrusion from astral entities that obssessed them to do crimes. This is also present in many patients in mental institutions. So just the science of this can change society for the better and affect millions and millions of lives.

I want to watch movies with themes about barriers just to think about it. Just to give me ideas what language when one will present it to Michio Kaku or the world's top physicists.

Recently saw a movie that I really enjoyed. It's not an action packed one, and not much explicit sci-fi, but still I think it fits. Really made me think. "Welcome the stranger" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5716280/

Also saw "Under the skin". A slow burner, but again one that made me think, though this time more in the sense of putting myself in her shoes kinda. Really intrigued me. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441395/

I recently watched what may come to be an important milestone in Sci Fi. Don't get excited yet since it is by no means a "pulse-pounder". It is the 2017 film, The Beyond .

I liked this movie rather a lot while at the same time understanding it's low rating and probably low appeal as far as numbers are concerned. It's not visceral. It's intellectual. I've loved Sci Fi since I was a child but over time I came to realize that much of it is just Cowboys and Indians in Space and while it often pays homage to Science and Technology it is most often rather fearful of them, which is probably a reflection of how the unscientific, the vast majority of the population, view Science and Technology. It may well play a part in the current suspicion, distrust and skepticism that gives us Flat Earthers and Moon Landing Denial, etc etc etc.

Some of the "Science" in The Beyond is.. well... silly but it's not a deal breaker to the main thrust of the concept and some of those can keep your thoughts and imagination highly stimulated especially if you're at all intrigued by Kurzweil's "singularity".

Some of the plot mechanics are silly too unless you are able to suspend disbelief when presented with many so-called Sci Fi plots that actually imagine the current state of humanity has a snowball's chance in Hell of defending against a civilization that can travel interstellar distances let alone routinely command energies equivalent to orders of magnitude greater than our Sun over it's entire lifetime, but then quite a few movies not only seem to imagine this possible and reasonable but hold it up to be somehow heroic. Because of this fact, I can forgive The Beyond, especially in the service of the Big Picture that finally get's presented with a positive message and displays trust in Science and Technology while doing it.

Since fearful, suspicious Sci Fi and Technology has also led to the TLDR generation, here's the skinny. If you loved "Aliens" AND hated "Star Trek: The Next Generation" or even preferred "Star Wars" to "Star Trek"this probably isn't your "cuppa". If you liked "Contact" it very well might be. It's not quite as well done as the recent "Arrival" (not the Charlie Sheen movie) but it is broader and equally high minded with a far greater reach. It could keep you thinking about anyone of a number of points for a very long time.

The way it addresses human-technology singularity is extremely thought provoking and quite possibly rather prescient.

I just realized there's a gap in my reading here. I did finally get to see a few seasons of "Expanse" and it's really quite good. I also recently viewed High Life and I concur. It's good and the blend mention is accurate and who wouldn't love a blend of Solaris and Silent Running?