Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Movies for hardcore sci-fi geeks

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A few favorites that I've mentioned before are:

Metropolis [the rerelease by Giorgio Moroder]
    Solaris
    Brazil
    The Man from Earth

I just caught one that I'd never heard of before, called Primer. It drags at times but the plot is excellent.

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/screen/sfw11536.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primer_(film [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2009 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Movies for hard core sci-fi geeks

THX 1138: I saw it when it first came out but that was in 1971. I just watched it again and amazingly it is still quite futuristic. Great movie! It stars Robert Duvall; directed by George Lucas and produced in part by Francis Ford Coppola.

4. Jul 4, 2009 #3
    Re: Movies for hard-core sci-fi geeks

a scanner darkly, IMHO blade runner was a much better book (do androids dream of electric sheep)

5. Jul 4, 2009 #4

Primer sounds like a great movie.

Well i guess 2001 a space odyssey is a honorable mention, although most of us have probably seen it.

Another movie i thoroughly enjoyed was Silent Running.

EDIT As above poster put, scanner darkly was a great movie also (as pretty much all indie movies are these days...)

6. Jul 4, 2009 #5

I looked that up and watched it since you mentioned it. It was really very good. I would suggest all PFers watch it. I think I need to rewatch it though. Toward the end I became unsure of what was going on anymore lol.

I actually watched Bladerunner before I read Androids. Fortunately I was not tainted by expectations and really enjoyed the movie, I am uncertain if I would feel the same way otherwise but think I might have.

A Scanner Darkly was definitely a better book in my opinion. The movie wasn't bad but I think it was off the mark. It was too light with the humour and the Johnny Depp/Hunter S stylization of the Barris character was particularly silly. The book was far more paranoid and focused much more on Arcter's crisis of fractured identity and the loss of his mental accuity. In the movie it is hard to sift through all the silly drug crazed slapstick to see what the story is really about.

7. Jul 4, 2009 #6

I've mentioned this before, but if you like sci-fi, one of the best imo is kin-dza-dza

8. Jul 4, 2009 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I will reference once again my all-time favourite: 'Charly'. The only SF movie in history to garner a best actor Oscar (for Cliff Robertson).

9. Jul 5, 2009 #8

Not a movie I would recommend for everyone, but I really enjoyed 'Man with the Screaming Brain'. If you enjoy Bruce Campbell's work then it is definitely worth a look.

The movie 'Primer' was very good. The acting comes across as a college art school student level, but the plot is exceptional. It's an original work that keeps your mind spinning from beginning to end. I don't think any sci-fi fan will lose by watching this one.

I also have to mention the TV series 'Firefly'. I call it the best space western ever created. The characters are interesting and have believable motivations, and I found myself becoming attached to their personalities and personal interactions with each other very quickly. The universe they exist in has tension and intrigue. They exist on the fringes of civilized space as smugglers and pirates; a crew of marginally good people bartering with some unsavory characters. They live on a small, outdated freighter of the Firefly class that is named Serenity, which is also the name of the battle where the rebel army lost their battle for independence to a powerful and unethical central government. I am still upset that it was cancelled after the first season.

Here's the theme song with an audio link. It explains everything better than I can.
    http://www.fireflywiki.org/Firefly/FireflyThemeSong

10. Jul 5, 2009 #9

Blade Runner is the #1 classic sci-fi, of course

i also liked http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085271/" [Broken]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/" [Broken]

Primer was OK, and not really hard to follow like the commentary above suggests.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  11. Jul 5, 2009 #10

Firefly was a masterpiece

12. Jul 5, 2009 #11

Thanks! I just watched this on the Netflix website. Freakin' amazing. I haven't seen a good movie where the total driving force was the dialogue since 12 Angry Men.

13. Jul 5, 2009 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cool! Indeed, the first few minutes had me worried, but after that it was an absolute treat. Definitely one of my all-time favorites of any genre.

I spotted the empty space for this at the video store. If I run across a sci-fi that I haven't heard about, I make sure to check it out as this is often how I find the best ones - the stuff that didn't make it at the box office. When after two months I was still unable to rent a copy of it because it was always out, I figured it must have a cult following. I finally managed to watch it on some cheesy video feed, and later bought the DVD.

Of course I have netflix now. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  14. Jul 5, 2009 #13

I came in here to recommend Primer when I saw the thread title.

15. Jul 5, 2009 #14

Yeah, if I want to find a good movie I use rottentomatoes.com + Netflix. Usually any movie that gets a 70% or higher is good.

16. Jul 5, 2009 #15

Stargate (the original) is good, and many Stargate SG1, and Atlantis episodes are an excellent source of hardcore sci-fi.

17. Jul 5, 2009 #16

Primer was excellent even if the budget were ten times as much.

Check out the Doctor Who episode entitled "Blink". Not a movie, but shoulda been one. Won several awards.

18. Jul 5, 2009 #17

2001: A Space Odyssey rules all.

19. Jul 5, 2009 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is at the top of my list of favorite Who episodes. They only exist when not observed...:rofl:

20. Jul 6, 2009 #19

Yes, yes it is!

I wish I had heard about it while it was actually on the air. It's like whoever was in charge of PR for this one was asleep at the console. They must not have had much hope for a sci-fi western from the beginning because this great work went totally under my radar. I've usually at least heard of sci-fi movies or television shows that are noteworthy. I didn't even realize it existed until the movie 'Serenity' came out in the theaters. I thought that was pretty good, and I was completely blown away by the tv series, especially disc 3 of the boxed set.

21. Jul 6, 2009 #20

Hey Ivan, have you seen the 3rd season of Torchwood yet (Children of Earth)? If not it is being released on netflix at the end of this month. There is some crossover between Torchwood and Doctor Who series (as well as the anagram) so I figure you might want to check it out if you haven't yet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted