Movies that feature physics concepts

In summary, movies that feature physics concepts often use scientific principles and theories to create engaging and realistic storylines. These films explore topics such as time travel, parallel universes, and advanced technology, showcasing the impact of physics on our everyday lives. Some notable examples include Interstellar, Inception, and The Theory of Everything, which have all received critical acclaim for their accurate and thought-provoking portrayals of physics. By incorporating these concepts into their plots, these movies not only entertain but also educate viewers about the fascinating world of physics. Overall, movies that feature physics concepts offer a unique and entertaining way to explore the wonders and complexities of the physical world.
Frabjous
Gold Member
I was reading Shape and Flow: The Fluid Dynamics of Drag by Shapiro and wanted to see the movies described by the book.

There is a whole series of fluid dynamics movies at
http://web.mit.edu/hml/ncfmf.html

Of course, they pale in comparison to my favorite educational movie which is about magnets
https://archive.org/details/magnet_laboratory_1959
It was directed by a famous documentarian
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Leacock

More info on PSSC films
http://www.afana.org/psscfilms.htm

Does anyone else have a favorite educational movie?

Last edited:
Likes BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Frabjous
At the risk of dating myself, my favorite science series include "Cosmos" written and presented by the late Carl Sagan and certain episodes of "Nova" created by WGBH Boston; both broadcast via Public Broadcasting System (PBS) in the USA.

Likes Frabjous and berkeman
How about biographies of great scientists?
There most be a lot of them, some probably explain concepts as well as doing the human interest angle.
I can't remember any off the top of my head, but when I was a kid I read a lot of books like that.
I particularly remember reading about Pasture. It was informative and inspirational.
PBS probably has a lot of Nova shows like this.

1. How accurate are physics concepts depicted in movies?

The accuracy of physics concepts in movies varies and often depends on the genre and target audience of the film. Some movies may take creative liberties for the sake of entertainment, while others strive for scientific accuracy. It is always best to do additional research on the specific concepts portrayed in a movie for a more accurate understanding.

2. Can movies accurately explain complex physics concepts?

Movies can provide a basic understanding of complex physics concepts, but they may not always accurately portray the intricacies and details involved. It is always recommended to consult reliable sources such as scientific journals and textbooks for a more thorough understanding of these concepts.

3. Which movies have the most accurate depictions of physics concepts?

Some movies that are known for their accurate portrayal of physics concepts include "Apollo 13", "The Theory of Everything", and "Interstellar". However, it is important to keep in mind that even these movies may have some creative liberties taken for the sake of storytelling.

4. How do filmmakers incorporate physics concepts into their movies?

Filmmakers often consult with experts in the field of physics to accurately incorporate concepts into their movies. They may also use visual effects and CGI to enhance the depiction of these concepts on screen.

5. Are there any inaccuracies in movies that feature physics concepts?

As with any form of media, there may be some inaccuracies in movies that feature physics concepts. These inaccuracies may be intentional for the sake of storytelling or unintentional due to lack of understanding or resources. It is always best to do further research for a more accurate understanding of these concepts.