Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
101 replies · 13K views
Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
Star Trek 4 has the funniest scenes.Buzz Bloom said:Hi pinball:
I enjoyed the humor in Back To The Future", but since I am very fond of well plotted time travel stories, I was disappointed in the inconsistent plot. There are two kinds of time travel plots: (a) you can change the past, and (b) you can't. I much prefer (b). My favorite time travel movie is "12 Monkeys" (1995), with "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" (1986) a close second. I have seem both of these multiple times.
Regards,
Buzz
ADDED
I had a senior moment and forgot that I had a different favorite time travel movie. It is "The Time Traveler's Wife" (2009).
'Do you like Italian food?'
Yes
No
Yes
No...Yes
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
Some movies can be entered midway and enjoyed with little if any loss of continuity. "Waking Life" a series of dreamlike vignettes can be tapped at nearly any sequence except for the extended closing scene. "Memento" dramatizes exploitation of mentally ill people, principally a mysterious stranger unable to store new memories relying for guidance on garbled hallucinations and cryptic messages tattooed on his body. Best appreciated from the beginning, the mystery unveiled in small chunks.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
- 7,864
- 1,605
Buzz Bloom said:I am a Bogart fan also.
I like most of his films, but I'll pass on watching "The Return of Dr. X" again.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
- 2,517
- 465
I decided to add another old favorite I have watched multiple times, most recently yesterday.
The Bridge On The River Kwai, (1957).
On this occasion I watched it with my 14 year old grandson, a freshman in high-school. He said he had heard about the movie and wanted to see it. After watching, he said he liked it a lot, except for the sad ending when all the good guys get killed.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
Stephen Tashi said:There are many videos that I like to watch again ... "Danger UXB...
Sometimes we choose a story because of the actors and directors. Anthony Andrews performed so well opposite the great actors in Granada's production of Evelyn Waugh's "Brideshead Revisited"; I watched "Danger UXB" to catch his performance as team leader.
A local Public Broadcasting System (PBS) television station featured "Danger UXB" opposite 'science night' -- Cosmos, Nova, Nature -- on a rival station. UXB held its own and then some describing the technological and psychological warfare between the bomb makers and the engineers tasked with guarding the populace by removing them. Andrew's Brideshead character Sebastian Flyte, raised as a devout Roman Catholic, faced an existential crisis where his life choices lead to mortal sin. His character in UXB faces physical mortality each time he defuses a device.
I have watched Granada's "Brideshead Revisited" many times and also seen different versions of Waugh's novel as movies and TV serials. Except for similar plots in other work, I only watched "Danger UXB" once.
Last edited:
- 32,819
- 4,724
I watch Tim Burton's "Nightmare Before Christmas" regularly, especially around Halloween. Best movie soundtrack ever in my book.
At home, I like to do repeated viewing of "Vera", "Midsomer Murder Mysteries", "Brokenwood Mysteries", and "Shetland".
When I travel, I tend to watch Vivian Howard's "A Chef's Life" series on my tablet. I don't seem to get tired of watching this series. And when I'm at home and I want to take an afternoon nap on my recliner, I put on Bob Ross's "The Joy of Painting", and I will be out like a light in less than `10 minutes! But I suppose, technically, I'm not watching it.
Zz.
At home, I like to do repeated viewing of "Vera", "Midsomer Murder Mysteries", "Brokenwood Mysteries", and "Shetland".
When I travel, I tend to watch Vivian Howard's "A Chef's Life" series on my tablet. I don't seem to get tired of watching this series. And when I'm at home and I want to take an afternoon nap on my recliner, I put on Bob Ross's "The Joy of Painting", and I will be out like a light in less than `10 minutes! But I suppose, technically, I'm not watching it.
Zz.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
- 2,517
- 465
Hi Zapper:ZapperZ said:At home, I like to do repeated viewing of "Vera", "Midsomer Murder Mysteries", "Brokenwood Mysteries", and "Shetland".
If you like old mysteries I recommend the British "Green For Danger" (1946) based on the 1944 novel.
Regards,
Buzz
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
I don't know that one but I will check it out.Buzz Bloom said:Hi Zapper:
If you like old mysteries I recommend the British "Green For Danger" (1946) based on the 1944 novel.
Regards,
Buzz
From the 40s and 50s there some great war films, The Dam busters springs to mind. Barnes Wallis building where the old UMIST site was may still carry his name only under the banner of the University of Manchester.
Reach for the sky was another, Douglas Bader, great story.
Last edited:
- 29,892
- 21,769
pinball1970 said:I don't know that one but I will check it out.
From the 40s and 50s there some great war films, The Dam busters springs to mind. Barns Wallace building where UMIST site was may still carry his name only under the banner of the University of Manchester.
You mean Barnes Wallis.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
Damn it. Corrected. If you delete your post now then no one will know, this is as bad as when I spelt Planck as Plank or was it the other way round?PeroK said:You mean Barnes Wallis.
Anyway a great scene from a film that did not grab me at all.
I can watch this over but not the whole thing.
Mr Black is trying to get money out of a federal agent from a disc he found in a gym.
Last edited:
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
The warriors is an amazing film, no big names but brilliant all the same.
Easy to watch over and over.
Easy to watch over and over.
david2
- 35
- 84
Enter the Void
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
So yesterday, a 31 year old coworker in a department meeting (40 people) threw out this reference, and only like 2 people got it (disgraceful, imo):
"The client is pushing that schedule so fast it's gone to plaid".
He sits behind me and people keep coming up to him asking what he was talking about.
Definitely needs to be on the list.
"The client is pushing that schedule so fast it's gone to plaid".
He sits behind me and people keep coming up to him asking what he was talking about.
Definitely needs to be on the list.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Collective \Wooshruss_watters said:So yesterday, a 31 year old coworker in a department meeting (40 people) threw out this reference, and only like 2 people got it (disgraceful, imo):
"The client is pushing that schedule so fast it's gone to plaid".
He sits behind me and people keep coming up to him asking what he was talking about.
Definitely needs to be on the list.
- 29,892
- 21,769
I must admit I have no idea what he was talking about. I understand neither the reference nor the intended meaning.russ_watters said:So yesterday, a 31 year old coworker in a department meeting (40 people) threw out this reference, and only like 2 people got it (disgraceful, imo):
"The client is pushing that schedule so fast it's gone to plaid".
He sits behind me and people keep coming up to him asking what he was talking about.
Definitely needs to be on the list.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
- 2,517
- 465
russ_watters said:"The client is pushing he schedule so fast it's gone to plaid."
https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/18592/what-does-the-theyve-gone-to-plaid-joke-mean
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
No idea either.russ_watters said:So yesterday, a 31 year old coworker in a department meeting (40 people) threw out this reference, and only like 2 people got it (disgraceful, imo):
"The client is pushing that schedule so fast it's gone to plaid".
He sits behind me and people keep coming up to him asking what he was talking about.
Definitely needs to be on the list.
Navin
- 112
- 34
The Grand Budapest Hotel, Moonrise Kingdom...argh Any Wes Anderson Film, Annie Hall, Amélié, The Breakfast Club, Lost In Translation...yea list goes on
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
PeroK said:I must admit I have no idea what he was talking about. I understand neither the reference nor the intended meaning.
@Buzz Bloom got it: Spaceballspinball1970 said:No idea either.
Also note the origin of Tesla/Elon Musk's "Ludicrous Speed".
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
I did not get it, I did not remember that quote from Spaceballs. But I like the movie, it is very funnyruss_watters said:@Buzz Bloom got it: Spaceballs
Another clip down the memory lane:
BWV
- 1,690
- 2,023
... evil will always triumph because good is dumb
BWV
- 1,690
- 2,023
Most Kubrick films, particularly Barry Lyndon and The Shining
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
Lots of classics on your list, but this one is on TV all the time and pulls me in almost every time. The problem is, the TV cut/censored version of movies is annoying, so I finally had to buy it so I could pop it in when it comes on TV.mathwonk said:... Shawshank Redemption...
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
He is hilarious!WWGD said:Not a movie, but
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
Sidenote:
:
(and a young Jim Carrey is also playing in some of the sketches)
Best of Homey D. Clown Vol. 1-In Living Color
In the comments under the video you posted someone said his character Homey D. Clown was very funny too, so I searched for it on the tube. And I found a sketch compilation, incredibly funnyWWGD said:Not a movie, but :
(and a young Jim Carrey is also playing in some of the sketches)
Best of Homey D. Clown Vol. 1-In Living Color
Last edited:
Similar threads
- ibkev
- · Replies 40 ·
- Science and Math Textbooks
- Replies
- 40