Moving USB Boot Drive (RasPi OS) from Raspberry Pi 4 to Pi 5

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
If I just take the USB boot drive (Raspberry Pi OS) from a Pi 4 and plug it into a new Pi 5, will it work seamlessly just as before? Will it work at all? Or, is there a risk that it will become unusable on the original Pi 4 board?

... Given that it has been in use for a year and has lots of packages and upgrades installed on it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It will probably be fine. If it were me, I'd make a backup first, though.

Likes FactChecker and Swamp Thing
Vanadium 50 said:
It will probably be fine. If it were me, I'd make a backup first, though.
For an OS drive, "backup" means image clone.
The personal data of yours should be usable, but the OS and drivers are probably not directly usable.

Same processor, same architecture, same installer image - while it is not guaranteed to work, the odds don;t get much better. And yes, a backup means an image.

Likes FactChecker
Vanadium 50 said:
Same processor, same architecture, same installer image
I stand corrected. I didn't realize that 4 and 5 were so similar.

They have different SOCs, but they are still ARM cores.

Just learned that support for Raspberry 5 begins with the OS version based on Debian Bookworm.

If I try to boot from an old OS version, it says Raspberry Pi 5 is not supported on the installed OS, giving me an option to try anyway by setting an override flag. I decided not to try that, so I downloaded the latest OS for my Pi-5.

Likes FactChecker
Swamp Thing said:
Just learned that support for Raspberry 5 begins with the OS version based on Debian Bookworm.

If I try to boot from an old OS version, it says Raspberry Pi 5 is not supported on the installed OS, giving me an option to try anyway by setting an override flag. I decided not to try that, so I downloaded the latest OS for my Pi-5.
Thanks for the update. That is a wise move and definitely the safest.

1. Can I use the same USB boot drive from my Raspberry Pi 4 on a Pi 5?

Yes, you can use the same USB boot drive on a Raspberry Pi 5 as long as the Pi 5 is running the same operating system (RasPi OS) as the Pi 4. If you are using a different operating system, you may need to make some changes in order for it to work.

2. Do I need to make any changes to the USB boot drive when moving it to a Pi 5?

In most cases, no changes are necessary. However, if you are using a different version of the operating system or if there have been updates since the drive was originally set up, you may need to make some adjustments.

3. Can I use a USB boot drive on multiple Raspberry Pi devices?

Yes, you can use the same USB boot drive on multiple Raspberry Pi devices as long as they are running the same operating system and have the same hardware specifications. However, it is recommended to have a separate USB boot drive for each Pi for better performance and stability.

4. Will all my files and settings be transferred when I move the USB boot drive to a Pi 5?

Yes, all your files and settings should remain intact when moving the USB boot drive to a Pi 5. However, if there are any compatibility issues with the new device, some settings may need to be adjusted.

5. Can I use a USB boot drive on a Raspberry Pi Zero or other models?

No, USB booting is only supported on Raspberry Pi 3 and newer models. Pi Zero and older models do not have the necessary hardware and firmware to support USB booting.