MS in mechanical engineering for an electrical

In summary, you can get an MS in mechanical engineering with a BS in electrical engineering, but it may not be possible with your time constraints. You would be well served to talk to a graduate coordinator or your adviser to discuss your plans and what it would exactly entail to make up that knowledge gap.
Mad Engineer
Hi

I am studying electrical engineering and I will graduate next year, recently I have grown an interest in mechanical engineering , I do not regret choosing electrical engineering,
I have really enjoyed what I have learned, I regret that I didn't have a chance to double major in EE and ME in my University.

Can I get an MS in mechanical engineering with a BS in EE , or is it just not possible ,
I don't mind taking subjects from ME before graduation , but exactly how many subjects do I
have to take, please help me.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mad Engineer said:
Hi

I am studying electrical engineering and I will graduate next year, recently I have grown an interest in mechanical engineering , I do not regret choosing electrical engineering,
I have really enjoyed what I have learned, I regret that I didn't have a chance to double major in EE and ME in my University.

Can I get an MS in mechanical engineering with a BS in EE , or is it just not possible ,
I don't mind taking subjects from ME before graduation , but exactly how many subjects do I
have to take, please help me.

Thank you in advance.

Well of course it's possible. The curricula are quite different obviously, I doubt you've taken many (if any) courses in thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, solid mechanics or the like.

You'd be well served to talk to a graduate coordinator or your adviser to discuss your plans and what it would exactly entail to make up that knowledge gap. Ultimately it's possible, but may not be with your personal time constraints/expectations.

I am pursuing my BE in electrical engg. I am in 3rd year. Can u please give details as per where are such courses offered and in which universities can i get admission for MS/MTech in mechanical engg. It would be a great help.. Thanx...

What is the difference between a MS in mechanical engineering and a MS in electrical engineering?

A MS in mechanical engineering focuses on the principles and applications of mechanics, materials, and energy. On the other hand, a MS in electrical engineering focuses on the principles and applications of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. While there may be some overlap in certain courses, the two programs have different core focuses and career outcomes.

Can someone with an electrical engineering background pursue a MS in mechanical engineering?

Yes, it is possible for someone with an electrical engineering background to pursue a MS in mechanical engineering. However, they may need to take additional prerequisite courses to fully understand the mechanical engineering concepts and applications.

What are the job prospects for someone with a MS in mechanical engineering and an electrical engineering background?

The job prospects for someone with a MS in mechanical engineering and an electrical engineering background are generally good. They may be able to pursue careers in industries such as robotics, automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing, among others.

What skills are important for someone pursuing a MS in mechanical engineering with an electrical engineering background?

Some important skills for someone pursuing a MS in mechanical engineering with an electrical engineering background include knowledge of mechanics, materials, and energy; problem-solving skills; critical thinking skills; and strong mathematical and analytical skills.

What are some potential research areas for someone with a MS in mechanical engineering and an electrical engineering background?

Some potential research areas for someone with a MS in mechanical engineering and an electrical engineering background include renewable energy, smart materials, biomechanics, automation and control, and mechatronics.