MSc in Logic and Foundation of Mathematics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing an MSc in Logic and Foundation of Mathematics with a BSc in Mathematical Science with a 3.00/4.00 result. The University of Amsterdam and the University of Bristol are recommended for their strong programs in logic and philosophy of mathematics. The conversation also suggests looking into postgraduate courses in the UK and checking the specific requirements of these universities.
aleph-aleph
Hi all, I got a BSc in Mathematical Science (not very good result: 3.00/4.00) but I'm interested to further my study in Logic and Foundation of Mathematics.
Can I take MSc in Logic and Foundation of Mathematics with such result? If can, which university you guys would recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
aleph-aleph said:
Hi all, I got a BSc in Mathematical Science (not very good result: 3.00/4.00) but I'm interested to further my study in Logic and Foundation of Mathematics.
Can I take MSc in Logic and Foundation of Mathematics with such result? If can, which university you guys would recommend?

I understand there is a hive of logical activity at the University of Amsterdam. I believe courses relevant to you are taught in English. You could try the MSc Logic - mathematics track (also on offer: philosophy, computer science or linguistics track).

Here is a list of all postgraduate courses in the UK listed under 'mathematics' with keyword 'logic'.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/search_courses_results.htm

I understand Bristol are world class in philosophy of mathematics (they have a Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics degree) if that is what you mean by foundations. I am also told Manchester are very strong for logic.

I'm sorry I don't know how a 3.00/4.00 translate to UK or Dutch requirements but their websites should help you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks pi.

1. What is an MSc in Logic and Foundation of Mathematics?

An MSc in Logic and Foundation of Mathematics is a graduate-level degree program that focuses on the study of mathematical logic and the foundations of mathematics. It involves a deep understanding of mathematical structures, theories, and proofs, as well as the philosophical and logical principles underlying mathematical thought.

2. What are the career opportunities for graduates of this program?

Graduates of this program can pursue careers in academia, research institutions, and industries that require advanced logical and mathematical skills. They can also work as mathematicians, logicians, data scientists, computer programmers, and in various other roles that require analytical and problem-solving abilities.

3. What are the prerequisites for this program?

The specific prerequisites may vary depending on the university, but generally, applicants should have a bachelor's degree in mathematics, computer science, or a related field. A strong background in calculus, linear algebra, and mathematical logic is also recommended.

4. What skills will I gain from this program?

Throughout this program, you will develop advanced problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills. You will also gain a deep understanding of mathematical logic and the foundations of mathematics, which are highly valued in various industries and academic fields.

5. Is this program suitable for someone without a background in mathematics?

While a background in mathematics is preferred, some universities may offer preparatory courses for students without a strong mathematical background. However, it is important to have a strong interest and aptitude for mathematics and logic in order to succeed in this program.