MTW Exercise 19.3 last part

• Thread starter zn5252
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, MTW mentions that the dominant non linear terms must be proportional to the square (M/r)2. The problem is that since I got the value h00 = A0/r + 6Qijninj/r3 (Qij is the quadrupole moment) and following the translation of coordinates suggested by MTW which is found in linearized theory , eq 4a of MTW chapter 18-Box18.2 , xjnew= xjold - Bj/A0 where the Bj = 6Qijni/r which leads to the new metric perturbation in the new coordinate frame : h00new = h00old - εj,j - εj,j
zn5252
hello
In part 8) of this Ex, MTW mentions that the dominant non linear terms must be proportional to the square (M/r)2. The problem is that since I got the value :
h00 = A0/r + 6Qijninj/r3 (Qij is the quadrupole moment) and following the translation of coordinates suggested by MTW which is found in linearized theory , eq 4a of MTW chapter 18-Box18.2 , xjnew= xjold - Bj/A0 where the Bj = 6Qijni/r which leads to the new metric perturbation in the new coordinate frame : h00new = h00old - εj,j - εj,j
where the εj = - Bj / A0
now I need to derive the εj with respect to j which leads to εj,j = 6Qii/A0r2 - 12 Qijxixj/A0r4 (I discard this last term)
And the metric would then be :
g00 = -1 + A0/2r - 6Qii/A0r2

I'm I right up to this point ? Did I miss anything perhaps ?
the poblem is that I would not see where the M2 would come out here ? I have the r2 and also the first linear term but the second term is proportional to the quadrupole moment divided by r2A0 which means no M squared ? and the A0 is linear in M

Physics news on Phys.org
Full solution could be found in Landau and Lifgarbagez page 359 for those interested...

1. What is the purpose of MTW Exercise 19.3 last part?

The purpose of MTW Exercise 19.3 last part is to practice problem-solving and data analysis skills by applying the concepts learned in the previous exercises. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the material and its real-world applications.

2. How is MTW Exercise 19.3 last part structured?

The last part of MTW Exercise 19.3 typically consists of a set of problems or scenarios that require the use of statistical methods and techniques to solve. These problems may involve analyzing data, making predictions, or testing hypotheses.

3. What topics are covered in MTW Exercise 19.3 last part?

The topics covered in the last part of MTW Exercise 19.3 may vary, but they typically revolve around statistical concepts such as probability, hypothesis testing, regression analysis, and data interpretation. These topics are essential for understanding and analyzing data in various fields of science.

4. How long does it usually take to complete MTW Exercise 19.3 last part?

The time it takes to complete MTW Exercise 19.3 last part may vary depending on the complexity of the problems and the individual's level of understanding. However, on average, it may take anywhere from 1-2 hours to complete the exercise.

5. Can I work on MTW Exercise 19.3 last part with a partner or group?

It is always recommended to work on MTW Exercise 19.3 last part with a partner or group. Collaborating with others allows for the sharing of ideas and different perspectives, which can lead to a better understanding of the material and more efficient problem-solving.