MTW Exercise 20.5 -- prove ∇2Φ=4πρ

• Thread starter TerryW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving the equation ##∇^2Φ = 4πρ##, with the help of the equations ##Φ = \frac {-M}{r}## and ##Φ_{,i} = \frac {Mx^i}{r^3}##. The conversation also explores the ambiguity in the expression ##\Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii} = \frac{-3r^2}{r^5} +\frac{1}{r^3} = \frac{-2}{r^3}##, which can be interpreted in two different ways. The conversation also delves into the use of delta functions to handle
TerryW
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I have a couple of issues with this problem, but first of all, I want to find out what I am missing in my attempt to prove ##∇^2Φ = 4πρ##

Homework Equations

See below

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
If ##Φ = \frac {-M}{r}##

Then ##Φ_{,i} = \frac {Mx^i}{r^3}##

So ##Φ_{,ii} = \frac {-3Mx^ix^i}{r^5} + \frac {M}{r^3} = \frac {-2M}{r^3}##...(1)

Taking ##ρ = \frac{M}{V} = \frac{3M}{4πr^3}##

Gives ##Φ_{,ii} = \frac {-8πρ}{3}##

Not what I wanted at all!

I've looked through some of my solutions to previous exercises and found that I've used something like (1) before (actually ##\Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii} = \frac {-3x^ix^i}{r^5} + \frac {1}{r^3}##) and it produced the correct answer. Why doesn't it work here?TerryW

Physics news on Phys.org
TerryW said:
actually ##\Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii} = \frac {-3x^ix^i}{r^5} + \frac {1}{r^3}##
This is the correct expression before summing over ##i##. What does it yield after summing?

Hi TSny - coming to my rescue again!

Depending on the way I look at this I can give two answers!

1. If I just follow the rules of tensor algebra, I would say that ##x^ix^i = r^2##, so ##\Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii} = \frac{-3r^2}{r^5} +\frac{1}{r^3} = \frac{-2}{r^3}##

2. My alternative is to evaluate ##∇^2φ## explicitly for x,y & z:

##\frac {∂2φ}{∂x^2} = \frac{-3x^2}{r^5} + \frac{1}{r^3}##

##\frac {∂2φ}{∂y^2} = \frac{-3y^2}{r^5} + \frac{1}{r^3}##

##\frac {∂2φ}{∂z^2} = \frac{-3z^2}{r^5} + \frac{1}{r^3}##

So ##∇^2φ = \frac{-3x^2-3y^2-3z^2}{r^5} + 3\frac{1}{r^3} = 0 ## !

I also get ##∇^2φ = 0 ## if I used spherical polar coordinates.

Looking at the 'tensor algebra' route, if I re-wrote my expression for ##\Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii}## as ##\Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii} = \frac{-3r^2}{r^5} +\frac{δ^i_i}{r^3} ## then ##\Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii} = 0##

So I now have three consistent ways of showing ##∇^2φ = 0##RegardsTerryW

TerryW said:
1. If I just follow the rules of tensor algebra, I would say that ##x^ix^i = r^2##, so ##\Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii} = \frac{-3r^2}{r^5} +\frac{1}{r^3} = \frac{-2}{r^3}##
You can write this out as you did in your first way in 2.

##\Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii}## means ##\sum_{i=1}^{3} \Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii} = ## ##\sum_{i=1}^{3} \left (-3\frac{x^ix^i}{r^5} +\frac{1}{r^3} \right)##

So, the ##\frac{1}{r^3}## part gets summed even though it has no ##i## indices.

So if I start from:

##φ_{,i} = \frac{-Mx^i}{r^3}## and follow the process above, I end up with

##∇^2φ = 0##

I can however take a different route using the fact that ##φ_{,i} = \frac{-Mx^i}{r^3}## represents the gravitational field and then connect the field to its 'source" by

##\int φ_{,i}.dS = \int 4πρdV##

##\int φ_{,ii}dV= \int 4πρdV##

∴ ##∇^2φ = 4πρ##

How do I reconcile this ambiguity?TerryW

TerryW said:
So if I start from:

##φ_{,i} = \frac{-Mx^i}{r^3}## and follow the process above, I end up with

##∇^2φ = 0##
Here, you are assuming that you have a point source M. The expressions ##φ_{,i} = \frac{-Mx^i}{r^3}## and ##∇^2φ = 0## are valid everywhere except at ##r = 0##, where you have a singularity. This can be handled in terms of a delta function. [Edit: I don't think the minus sign should be in the expression ##φ_{,i} = \frac{-Mx^i}{r^3}##.]

As shown in Jackson's EM book for example, you can take care of ##r = 0## by writing ##∇^2(\frac{1}{r} ) = -4 \pi \delta \left ( \vec r \right ) ##.
##\rho## for the point source can be taken to be ##\rho = M \delta \left ( \vec r \right ) ##.

Last edited:
Hi TSny,

This works fine for ##\int ∇^2φdV = \int 4πρdV## but taking the next step to assert that ##∇^2φ = 4πρ## leads one to assign a radial functionality, i.e. ##∇^2φ = \frac {3M}{r^3}## but is it legitimate to do this?

I was going to go on to my original issues with Ex 20.5, but I've just spotted a mistake which I now need to work through to see if it clears one of my problems, so it may be a little while before I post again.

Thank you for your continued supportRegards
TerryW

Attachments

• MTW Ex20.5.png
    MTW Ex20.5.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 590
TerryW said:
This works fine for ##\int ∇^2φdV = \int 4πρdV## but taking the next step to assert that ##∇^2φ = 4πρ## leads one to assign a radial functionality, i.e. ##∇^2φ = \frac {3M}{r^3}## but is it legitimate to do this?
I'm not seeing the last part of this where you state ##∇^2φ = \frac {3M}{r^3}##. Can you elaborate on this?

I was going to go on to my original issues with Ex 20.5, but I've just spotted a mistake which I now need to work through to see if it clears one of my problems, so it may be a little while before I post again.
OK. That exercise looks like another tedious one!

All I've done here is:

##4πρ = 4π\frac{M}{V} = 4πM(\frac{4πr^3}{3})^{-1} = \frac {3M}{r^3}##

TSny said:
OK. That exercise looks like another tedious one!

I've already successfully worked out (20.29) but I did it using (20.22) which is a bit of a slog. I started off using (20.20) and (20.21). This produced the correct result for ##T^{00}## but the ##t^{μν}_{L-L}## results aren't correct. This is where I found an error earlier today so I'm reworking it.

I've had a similar problem with part (b) - I get all of (20.30) except that I get ##\frac{1}{6}ρφ## instead of ##\frac{1}{2}ρφ##

I'll post again when I've had a good further look.RegardsTerryW

TerryW said:
All I've done here is:

##4πρ = 4π\frac{M}{V} = 4πM(\frac{4πr^3}{3})^{-1} = \frac {3M}{r^3}##
I'm not sure what ##r## represents in this expression.

If you write the mass density of the particle as ##\frac{M}{V}##, then ##V## would be the volume occupied by the point mass. So, ##V = 0## which makes ##\frac{M}{V}## indefinite. The way to handle this singular mass density is to use the delta function as ##\rho = M \delta \left (\vec r \right)## which expresses the fact that the mass density is zero everywhere except at ##r = 0##. At ##r = 0## the density is "infinite" as expressed by the delta function.

In Poisson's equation ##\nabla ^2 \phi = 4 \pi \rho##, both sides are functions of position. For a point mass M located at the origin, ##\phi = -\frac{M}{r}##. If you evaluate ##\nabla ^2 \phi## at any point other than the origin, we know ##\nabla ^2 \phi = -M \nabla ^2 \frac{1}{r} = 0##. This is in agreement with the right hand side of Poisson's equation since ##\rho = 0 ## at any point other than the origin.

At the origin, ##\nabla ^2 \phi## is singular. But ##\nabla ^2 \phi = -M \nabla^2 \frac{1}{r} = -M\left (-4 \pi \delta \left (\vec r \right) \right) = 4 \pi\ M \delta \left (\vec r \right)##. This agrees with the right hand side of Poisson's equation.

I've already successfully worked out (20.29) but I did it using (20.22) which is a bit of a slog. I started off using (20.20) and (20.21). This produced the correct result for ##T^{00}## but the ##t^{μν}_{L-L}## results aren't correct. This is where I found an error earlier today so I'm reworking it.

I've had a similar problem with part (b) - I get all of (20.30) except that I get ##\frac{1}{6}ρφ## instead of ##\frac{1}{2}ρφ##

I'll post again when I've had a good further look.

OK, sounds good. I will be traveling for the next week, so I won't have much time until I get back. Hope the problem goes well for you.

Hi TSny,

This is my attempt to derive (20.29) from (20.20) and 20.21):

Starting with ##t^{00}_{L-L}##

##H^{0α0β}_{L-L} = \mathfrak {g}^{00}\mathfrak {g}^{αβ}-\mathfrak {g}^{α0}\mathfrak {g}^{β0}##
This implies ##α≠0, β≠0##

Giving us
##H^{0i0j}_{L-L} = \mathfrak {g}^{00}\mathfrak {g}^{ij}-\mathfrak {g}^{i0}\mathfrak {g}^{j0} = \mathfrak {g}^{00}\mathfrak {g}^{ij}##

So
##H^{0i0j}_{L-L} = (-g)g^{00}g^{ij}####[H^{0i0j}_{L-L}]_{,ij} = [(-g)g^{00}g^{ij}]_{,ij}##

##= [(-g)_{,i}g^{00}g^{ij}+(-g)(g^{00})_{,i}g^{ij}+(-g)g^{00}(g^{ij})_{,i}]_{,j}##

##=[(-g)_{,ij}g^{00}g^{ij}+(-g)_{,i}(g^{00})_{,j}g^{ij}+(-g)_{,i}g^{00}(g^{ij})_{,j}]##

##+[(-g)_{,j}(g^{00})_{,i}g^{ij}+(-g)(g^{00})_{,ij}g^{ij}+(-g)(g^{00})_{,i}(g^{ij})_{,j}]##

##+[(-g)_{,j}g^{00}(g^{ij})_{,i}+(-g)(g^{00})_{,j}(g^{ij})_{,i}+(-g)g^{00}(g^{ij})_{,ij}]##

To evaluate this expression, I've used:

##(-g) = (1-4φ), \text { }g^{00} = -(1-2φ) \text { and }g^{ij} = δ_{ij}(1+2φ)##

##\begin{align}[H^{0i0j}_{L-L}]_{,ij} = &-4φ_{,ij}(-1+2φ)(δ_{ij})(1+2φ) -4φ_{,i}(2φ_{,j})(δ_{ij})(1+2φ)-4φ_{,i}(-1+2φ)(δ_{ij})2φ_{,j}\nonumber \\ &-4φ_{,j}(2φ_{,i})(δ_{ij})(1+2φ)+(1-4φ)(2φ_{,ij})(δ_{ij})(1+2φ)+(1-4φ)(2φ)_{,i}(δ_{ij})2φ_{,j} \nonumber \\ &-4φ_{,j}(-1+2φ)(δ_{ij})(2φ)_{,i}+(1-4φ)(2φ)_{,j})(δ_{ij})(2φ)_{,i} +(1-4φ)(-1+2φ)(δ_{ij})2φ_{,ij}\nonumber \end{align}##

##\begin{align}[H^{0i0j}_{L-L}]_{,ij} = &-4φ_{,ii}(4φ^2-1) -8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}(1+2φ)-8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}(-1+2φ)\nonumber \\ &-8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}(1+2φ)+(1-4φ)2φ_{,ii}(1+2φ)+(1-4φ)2φ_{,i}2φ_{,i} \nonumber \\ &-8φ_{,i}(-1+2φ)φ_{,i}+(1-4φ)4φ_{,i}φ_{,i} +(1-4φ)(-1+2φ)2φ_{,ii}\nonumber \end{align}##

So, ignoring terms ##φ_{,i}φ_{,i}φ## but not ##φ_{,ii}φ## (see below for reason*)

##\begin{align}[H^{0i0j}_{L-L}]_{,ij} = &4φ_{,ii} -8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}+8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}\nonumber \\ &-8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}+2φ_{,ii}-4φ_{,ii}φ+4φ_{,i}φ_{,i} \nonumber \\ &+8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}+4φ_{,i}φ_{,i} -2φ_{,ii}+12φ_{,ii}φ\nonumber \end{align}##

##[H^{0i0j}_{L-L}]_{,ij} = 4φ_{,ii} +8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}+8φ_{,ii}φ##

So

##16π(-g)(T^{00} + t^{00}_{L-L}) = 4φ_{,ii} +8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}+8φ_{,ii}φ##

##16π(T^{00} + t^{00}_{L-L}) = (1+4φ)(4φ_{,ii} +8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}+8φ_{,ii}φ)##

##16π(T^{00} + t^{00}_{L-L}) = 4φ_{,ii} +8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}+24φ_{,ii}φ## ...(1)

This gives me ##T^{00}## but the residue is a problem. *It's the point at which I started to use ##4πρ = \frac{3M}{r^3}## so that I could recast ##φ_{,ii}φ## as ##-3φ_{,i}φ_{,i}## but this gives me ##-64φ_{,i}φ_{,i}## in (1), leading to ##t^{00}_{L-L} = \frac {8}{π}φ_{,i}φ_{,i}##

I tried an alternative route in which I used ##(-g) = (1-4φ), \text { }g^{00} = -(1-2φ+4φ^2) \text { and }g^{ij} = δ_{ij}(1+2φ+4φ^2)## as the second derivatives produce some more ##φ_{,ii}φ## terms, but it didn't bring me any closer to the desired result.

Can you see where I've gone wrong?RegardsTerryW

Terry,
I'm traveling until Thursday. I'll take a look at it then.

Terry,

I believe MTW expect you to work part (a) using (20.22), which you were able to do according to your post #9. The pseudotensor ##t^{00}_{L-L}## is defined by (20.22).

Note that ##T^{00}## and ##\varphi## for this part of the problem have not been specified. In particular, ##\varphi## is not necessarily equal to ##-M/r##. As I understand it, part (a) is dealing with a general "nearly Newtonian metric" (discussed in section 18.4) with a general Newtonian potential ##\varphi##.

Attachments

• MTW 20.5a.png
    MTW 20.5a.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 587
  • MTW 20.5 1.png
    MTW 20.5 1.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 592
Doesn't the problem statement imply that ##\rho## is constant throughout the volume?
That is, not a point mass?

I like Serena said:
Doesn't the problem statement imply that ##\rho## is constant throughout the volume?
That is, not a point mass?
Hello, ILS.
Yes, I agree that the problem is not dealing with a point mass. I don't think that ##\rho## is assumed to be constant throughout some volume. ##\rho## can vary with position and time.

Hi TNsy,

Something odd happened on this thread - I didn't get any notification of your post #13, I found it today when I checked on your recent posts!

So the conclusion is that I can't go down my initial route because:

"##T^{00}## and ##\varphi## for this part of the problem have not been specified. In particular, ##\varphi## is not necessarily equal to −M/r. As I understand it, part (a) is dealing with a general "nearly Newtonian metric" (discussed in section 18.4) with a general Newtonian potential ##\varphi##."

(I tried to use QUOTE for the above but it didn't come out well!)

I did get the required results using 20.22, so I should be happy about that.

I've resolved my problem with part (b) so Exercise 20.5 is done!I've just reached the end of Chapter 20 and completed Exercise 20.9, getting the result φ,αα = 0. Is this correct? Regards
TerryW

TerryW said:
I did get the required results using 20.22, so I should be happy about that.

I've resolved my problem with part (b) so Exercise 20.5 is done!
OK, good! I think I also got it to work out, but it was very tedious for me.

I've just reached the end of Chapter 20 and completed Exercise 20.9, getting the result φ,αα = 0. Is this correct?
I believe you should get ##\phi^{\, , \alpha} \, _{;\alpha} = 0##. One index should be up and the other down so that there is a summation over ##\alpha##. Also, the second derivative should be a covariant derivative. This makes ##\phi^{\, , \alpha} \, _{;\alpha}## a scalar quantity. So, if the equation of motion is satisfied in one frame, it will be satisfied in all frames.

##\phi^{\, , \alpha} \, _{;\alpha}## is the d'Alembertian of ##\phi## and can be written as ##\phi_{\, ; \alpha} \, ^{\alpha}## or ## \square \, \phi ##. See MTW page 863, Exercise 32.10.

Last edited:
Likes TerryW
Posted in error - finger trouble

I originally worked through to get ##\phi^{,α}~_{,α}## and then had a mad moment and decided it looked nicer as ##\phi^{,αα}##!

I also started out by looking at ##T^{αβ}~_{;β}## then decided, unnecessarily, to work in flat spacetime. I should have just carried on with the covariant derivative!

Might be looking at Exercise 32.10 in a few years time!RegardsTerryW

1. What is the meaning of the symbol ∇2Φ?

The symbol ∇2Φ is known as the Laplacian of a scalar field Φ. It represents the divergence of the gradient of Φ, or in other words, the second derivative of Φ in three-dimensional space.

2. How is the Laplacian related to the density ρ?

In electrostatics, the Laplacian of the electric potential Φ is equal to 4π times the charge density ρ. This relationship is known as Poisson's equation and is used to describe the electric field in a given region.

3. What does it mean to prove ∇2Φ=4πρ?

To prove ∇2Φ=4πρ means to mathematically show that the Laplacian of a scalar field Φ is equal to 4π times the charge density ρ. This proof is commonly used in electrostatics and is a fundamental equation in the study of electric fields.

4. Why is it important to prove ∇2Φ=4πρ?

Proving ∇2Φ=4πρ is important because it provides a mathematical understanding of the relationship between the electric potential Φ and the charge density ρ. This equation is used in various applications, such as calculating electric fields and solving boundary value problems in electrostatics.

5. What are the steps to prove ∇2Φ=4πρ?

The steps to prove ∇2Φ=4πρ involve applying the divergence and gradient operators to the electric potential equation, using the continuity equation, and simplifying the resulting equation to show that it is equal to 4πρ. A detailed explanation of the steps can be found in most textbooks on electrostatics or vector calculus.