1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MTW Exercise 20.5 -- prove ∇2Φ=4πρ

1. Sep 7, 2017 #1

TerryW

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a couple of issues with this problem, but first of all, I want to find out what I am missing in my attempt to prove ##∇^2Φ = 4πρ##

2. Relevant equations
    See below

3. The attempt at a solution

If ##Φ = \frac {-M}{r}##

Then ##Φ_{,i} = \frac {Mx^i}{r^3}##

So ##Φ_{,ii} = \frac {-3Mx^ix^i}{r^5} + \frac {M}{r^3} = \frac {-2M}{r^3}##....(1)

Taking ##ρ = \frac{M}{V} = \frac{3M}{4πr^3}##

Gives ##Φ_{,ii} = \frac {-8πρ}{3}##

Not what I wanted at all!

I've looked through some of my solutions to previous exercises and found that I've used something like (1) before (actually ##\Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii} = \frac {-3x^ix^i}{r^5} + \frac {1}{r^3}##) and it produced the correct answer. Why doesn't it work here?

TerryW

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is the correct expression before summing over ##i##. What does it yield after summing?

4. Sep 8, 2017 #3

TerryW

Gold Member

Hi TSny - coming to my rescue again!

Depending on the way I look at this I can give two answers!

1. If I just follow the rules of tensor algebra, I would say that ##x^ix^i = r^2##, so ##\Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii} = \frac{-3r^2}{r^5} +\frac{1}{r^3} = \frac{-2}{r^3}##

2. My alternative is to evaluate ##∇^2φ## explicitly for x,y & z:

##\frac {∂2φ}{∂x^2} = \frac{-3x^2}{r^5} + \frac{1}{r^3}##

##\frac {∂2φ}{∂y^2} = \frac{-3y^2}{r^5} + \frac{1}{r^3}##

##\frac {∂2φ}{∂z^2} = \frac{-3z^2}{r^5} + \frac{1}{r^3}##

So ##∇^2φ = \frac{-3x^2-3y^2-3z^2}{r^5} + 3\frac{1}{r^3} = 0 ## !!!

I also get ##∇^2φ = 0 ## if I used spherical polar coordinates.

Looking at the 'tensor algebra' route, if I re-wrote my expression for ##\Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii}## as ##\Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii} = \frac{-3r^2}{r^5} +\frac{δ^i_i}{r^3} ## then ##\Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii} = 0##

So I now have three consistent ways of showing ##∇^2φ = 0##

Regards

TerryW

5. Sep 8, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can write this out as you did in your first way in 2.

##\Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii}## means ##\sum_{i=1}^{3} \Big(\frac{1}{r}\Big)_{,ii} = ## ##\sum_{i=1}^{3} \left (-3\frac{x^ix^i}{r^5} +\frac{1}{r^3} \right)##

So, the ##\frac{1}{r^3}## part gets summed even though it has no ##i## indices.

6. Sep 10, 2017 #5

TerryW

Gold Member

So if I start from:

##φ_{,i} = \frac{-Mx^i}{r^3}## and follow the process above, I end up with

##∇^2φ = 0##

I can however take a different route using the fact that ##φ_{,i} = \frac{-Mx^i}{r^3}## represents the gravitational field and then connect the field to its 'source" by

##\int φ_{,i}.dS = \int 4πρdV##

##\int φ_{,ii}dV= \int 4πρdV##

∴ ##∇^2φ = 4πρ##

How do I reconcile this ambiguity?

TerryW

7. Sep 10, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here, you are assuming that you have a point source M. The expressions ##φ_{,i} = \frac{-Mx^i}{r^3}## and ##∇^2φ = 0## are valid everywhere except at ##r = 0##, where you have a singularity. This can be handled in terms of a delta function. [Edit: I don't think the minus sign should be in the expression ##φ_{,i} = \frac{-Mx^i}{r^3}##.]

As shown in Jackson's EM book for example, you can take care of ##r = 0## by writing ##∇^2(\frac{1}{r} ) = -4 \pi \delta \left ( \vec r \right ) ##.
    ##\rho## for the point source can be taken to be ##\rho = M \delta \left ( \vec r \right ) ##.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  8. Sep 13, 2017 #7

TerryW

Gold Member

Hi TSny,

This works fine for ##\int ∇^2φdV = \int 4πρdV## but taking the next step to assert that ##∇^2φ = 4πρ## leads one to assign a radial functionality, i.e. ##∇^2φ = \frac {3M}{r^3}## but is it legitimate to do this?

I was going to go on to my original issues with Ex 20.5, but I've just spotted a mistake which I now need to work through to see if it clears one of my problems, so it may be a little while before I post again.

Thank you for your continued support

Regards

TerryW

Attached Files:

9. Sep 13, 2017 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not seeing the last part of this where you state ##∇^2φ = \frac {3M}{r^3}##. Can you elaborate on this?

OK. That exercise looks like another tedious one!

10. Sep 13, 2017 #9

TerryW

Gold Member

All I've done here is:

##4πρ = 4π\frac{M}{V} = 4πM(\frac{4πr^3}{3})^{-1} = \frac {3M}{r^3}##

I've already successfully worked out (20.29) but I did it using (20.22) which is a bit of a slog. I started off using (20.20) and (20.21). This produced the correct result for ##T^{00}## but the ##t^{μν}_{L-L}## results aren't correct. This is where I found an error earlier today so I'm reworking it.

I've had a similar problem with part (b) - I get all of (20.30) except that I get ##\frac{1}{6}ρφ## instead of ##\frac{1}{2}ρφ##

I'll post again when I've had a good further look.

Regards

TerryW

11. Sep 13, 2017 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what ##r## represents in this expression.

If you write the mass density of the particle as ##\frac{M}{V}##, then ##V## would be the volume occupied by the point mass. So, ##V = 0## which makes ##\frac{M}{V}## indefinite. The way to handle this singular mass density is to use the delta function as ##\rho = M \delta \left (\vec r \right)## which expresses the fact that the mass density is zero everywhere except at ##r = 0##. At ##r = 0## the density is "infinite" as expressed by the delta function.

In Poisson's equation ##\nabla ^2 \phi = 4 \pi \rho##, both sides are functions of position. For a point mass M located at the origin, ##\phi = -\frac{M}{r}##. If you evaluate ##\nabla ^2 \phi## at any point other than the origin, we know ##\nabla ^2 \phi = -M \nabla ^2 \frac{1}{r} = 0##. This is in agreement with the right hand side of Poisson's equation since ##\rho = 0 ## at any point other than the origin.

At the origin, ##\nabla ^2 \phi## is singular. But ##\nabla ^2 \phi = -M \nabla^2 \frac{1}{r} = -M\left (-4 \pi \delta \left (\vec r \right) \right) = 4 \pi\ M \delta \left (\vec r \right)##. This agrees with the right hand side of Poisson's equation.

OK, sounds good. I will be traveling for the next week, so I won't have much time until I get back. Hope the problem goes well for you.

12. Sep 19, 2017 at 9:50 AM #11

TerryW

Gold Member

Hi TSny,

This is my attempt to derive (20.29) from (20.20) and 20.21):

Starting with ##t^{00}_{L-L}##

##H^{0α0β}_{L-L} = \mathfrak {g}^{00}\mathfrak {g}^{αβ}-\mathfrak {g}^{α0}\mathfrak {g}^{β0}##
    This implies ##α≠0, β≠0##

Giving us
    ##H^{0i0j}_{L-L} = \mathfrak {g}^{00}\mathfrak {g}^{ij}-\mathfrak {g}^{i0}\mathfrak {g}^{j0} = \mathfrak {g}^{00}\mathfrak {g}^{ij}##

So
    ##H^{0i0j}_{L-L} = (-g)g^{00}g^{ij}##

##[H^{0i0j}_{L-L}]_{,ij} = [(-g)g^{00}g^{ij}]_{,ij}##

##= [(-g)_{,i}g^{00}g^{ij}+(-g)(g^{00})_{,i}g^{ij}+(-g)g^{00}(g^{ij})_{,i}]_{,j}##

##=[(-g)_{,ij}g^{00}g^{ij}+(-g)_{,i}(g^{00})_{,j}g^{ij}+(-g)_{,i}g^{00}(g^{ij})_{,j}]##

##+[(-g)_{,j}(g^{00})_{,i}g^{ij}+(-g)(g^{00})_{,ij}g^{ij}+(-g)(g^{00})_{,i}(g^{ij})_{,j}]##

##+[(-g)_{,j}g^{00}(g^{ij})_{,i}+(-g)(g^{00})_{,j}(g^{ij})_{,i}+(-g)g^{00}(g^{ij})_{,ij}]##

To evaluate this expression, I've used:

##(-g) = (1-4φ), \text { }g^{00} = -(1-2φ) \text { and }g^{ij} = δ_{ij}(1+2φ)##

##\begin{align}[H^{0i0j}_{L-L}]_{,ij} = &-4φ_{,ij}(-1+2φ)(δ_{ij})(1+2φ) -4φ_{,i}(2φ_{,j})(δ_{ij})(1+2φ)-4φ_{,i}(-1+2φ)(δ_{ij})2φ_{,j}\nonumber \\ &-4φ_{,j}(2φ_{,i})(δ_{ij})(1+2φ)+(1-4φ)(2φ_{,ij})(δ_{ij})(1+2φ)+(1-4φ)(2φ)_{,i}(δ_{ij})2φ_{,j} \nonumber \\ &-4φ_{,j}(-1+2φ)(δ_{ij})(2φ)_{,i}+(1-4φ)(2φ)_{,j})(δ_{ij})(2φ)_{,i} +(1-4φ)(-1+2φ)(δ_{ij})2φ_{,ij}\nonumber \end{align}##

##\begin{align}[H^{0i0j}_{L-L}]_{,ij} = &-4φ_{,ii}(4φ^2-1) -8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}(1+2φ)-8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}(-1+2φ)\nonumber \\ &-8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}(1+2φ)+(1-4φ)2φ_{,ii}(1+2φ)+(1-4φ)2φ_{,i}2φ_{,i} \nonumber \\ &-8φ_{,i}(-1+2φ)φ_{,i}+(1-4φ)4φ_{,i}φ_{,i} +(1-4φ)(-1+2φ)2φ_{,ii}\nonumber \end{align}##

So, ignoring terms ##φ_{,i}φ_{,i}φ## but not ##φ_{,ii}φ## (see below for reason*)

##\begin{align}[H^{0i0j}_{L-L}]_{,ij} = &4φ_{,ii} -8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}+8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}\nonumber \\ &-8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}+2φ_{,ii}-4φ_{,ii}φ+4φ_{,i}φ_{,i} \nonumber \\ &+8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}+4φ_{,i}φ_{,i} -2φ_{,ii}+12φ_{,ii}φ\nonumber \end{align}##

##[H^{0i0j}_{L-L}]_{,ij} = 4φ_{,ii} +8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}+8φ_{,ii}φ##

So

##16π(-g)(T^{00} + t^{00}_{L-L}) = 4φ_{,ii} +8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}+8φ_{,ii}φ##

##16π(T^{00} + t^{00}_{L-L}) = (1+4φ)(4φ_{,ii} +8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}+8φ_{,ii}φ)##

##16π(T^{00} + t^{00}_{L-L}) = 4φ_{,ii} +8φ_{,i}φ_{,i}+24φ_{,ii}φ## ................(1)

This gives me ##T^{00}## but the residue is a problem. *It's the point at which I started to use ##4πρ = \frac{3M}{r^3}## so that I could recast ##φ_{,ii}φ## as ##-3φ_{,i}φ_{,i}## but this gives me ##-64φ_{,i}φ_{,i}## in (1), leading to ##t^{00}_{L-L} = \frac {8}{π}φ_{,i}φ_{,i}##

I tried an alternative route in which I used ##(-g) = (1-4φ), \text { }g^{00} = -(1-2φ+4φ^2) \text { and }g^{ij} = δ_{ij}(1+2φ+4φ^2)## as the second derivatives produce some more ##φ_{,ii}φ## terms, but it didn't bring me any closer to the desired result.

Can you see where I've gone wrong?

Regards

TerryW

13. Sep 19, 2017 at 5:50 PM #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Terry,
    I'm traveling until Thursday. I'll take a look at it then.

14. Sep 20, 2017 at 5:32 PM #13

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Terry,

I believe MTW expect you to work part (a) using (20.22), which you were able to do according to your post #9. The pseudotensor ##t^{00}_{L-L}## is defined by (20.22).

Note that ##T^{00}## and ##\varphi## for this part of the problem have not been specified. In particular, ##\varphi## is not necessarily equal to ##-M/r##. As I understand it, part (a) is dealing with a general "nearly Newtonian metric" (discussed in section 18.4) with a general Newtonian potential ##\varphi##.

Attached Files:

15. Sep 20, 2017 at 5:52 PM #14

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Doesn't the problem statement imply that ##\rho## is constant throughout the volume?
    That is, not a point mass?

16. Sep 20, 2017 at 6:06 PM #15

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, ILS.
    Yes, I agree that the problem is not dealing with a point mass. I don't think that ##\rho## is assumed to be constant throughout some volume. ##\rho## can vary with position and time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted