Working out ##\big[\varphi (x) , \varphi (0) \big]## commutator

• Thread starter JD_PM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, this conversation discusses an exercise proposed by samalkhaiat that involves the Fourier expansion of a function in a complete set of solutions of the KG equation. The conversation also discusses the evaluation of a commutator and the definition of a new function, in order to show the equivalence of two expressions. The main focus of the exercise is to show that the requirement of an invariant c-number fixes the value of the commutator. The use of creation and annihilation operators is not necessary for this exercise.
JD_PM
Homework Statement
Let [itex]\varphi (x)[/itex] be a real scalar field (operator) satisfying the Klein-Gordon equation [itex](\Box + m^{2}) \varphi (x) = 0[/itex] (where ##\Box:= \partial^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}##). Assuming that the commutator [itex]\big[ \varphi (x) , \varphi (y) \big][/itex] is a Lorentz invariant c-number (i.e., function), show that [tex]\big[\varphi (x) , \varphi (0) \big] = C \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon(k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{- i k \cdot x} ,[/tex] with [itex]C[/itex] being an arbitrary real constant.
Relevant Equations
[tex]\big[\varphi (x) , \varphi (0) \big] = C \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon(k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{- i k \cdot x} ,[/tex]
This exercise was proposed by samalkhaiat here (#9). I am going to work using natural units.

OK I think I got it (studying pages 46 & 47 from Mandl & Shaw was really useful) . However I took the lengthy approach. If there is a quicker method please let me know :smile:

We first Fourier-expand ##\varphi(x)## in a complete set of solutions of the KG equation (##(\Box + m^{2}) \varphi (x) = 0##); ##\varphi(x)=\varphi^+(x)+\varphi^-(x)##, where

$$\varphi^+(x)=\sum_{\vec k} \Big(\frac{1}{2V \omega_{\vec k}} \Big)^{1/2} a(\vec k)e^{-ik \cdot x}$$

$$\varphi^-(x)=\sum_{\vec k} \Big(\frac{1}{2V \omega_{\vec k}} \Big)^{1/2} a^{\dagger}(\vec k)e^{ik \cdot x}$$

Where ##k## is the wave four-vector of a particle of mass ##m##, momentum ##\vec k## and energy ##E=\omega_{\vec k}=+ \sqrt{m^2+(\vec k)^2}:=k_0##

Now let's evaluate the given commutator ##\big[ \varphi (x) , \varphi (y) \big]## (using the rule ##\big[ A+B , C+D \big]=\big[ A , C \big]+\big[ A , D \big]+\big[ B , C \big]+\big[ B , D \big]## and ##\big[ \varphi^+ (x) , \varphi^+ (y) \big]=\big[ \varphi^- (x) , \varphi^- (y) \big]=0##) we get

$$\big[ \varphi (x) , \varphi (y) \big]=\big[ \varphi^+ (x) , \varphi^- (y) \big]+\big[ \varphi^- (x) , \varphi^+ (y) \big]$$

Then

$$\big[ \varphi^+ (x) , \varphi^- (y) \big]=\frac{1}{2V}\sum_{\vec k \vec k'}\frac{1}{(\omega_{\vec k}\omega_{\vec k'})^{1/2}}\big[ a (\vec k) , a^{\dagger} (\vec k') \big] e^{-ik \cdot x} e^{ik' \cdot y}$$

Using ##\big[ a (\vec k) , a^{\dagger} (\vec k') \big]=\delta_{\vec k \vec k'}## and taking the lim ##V \rightarrow \infty## (i.e. ##\frac{1}{V} \sum_{\vec k} \rightarrow \frac{1}{(2\pi)^3}##) we get

$$\big[ \varphi^+ (x) , \varphi^- (y) \big]=\frac{1}{2(2\pi)^3}\int d^3 \vec k \frac{1}{\omega_{\vec k}}e^{-ik\cdot(x - y)} \tag{1}$$

We now define

$$\Delta^+(x) := \frac{-i}{2(2 \pi)^3} \int \frac{d^3 \vec k}{\omega_{\vec k}}e^{-ik\cdot x}=\frac{1}{2i(2 \pi)^3} \int \frac{d^3 \vec k}{\omega_{\vec k}}e^{-ik\cdot x} \tag{2}$$

Plugging ##(2)## into ##(1)## we get

$$\big[ \varphi^+ (x) , \varphi^- (y) \big]=i\Delta^+(x-y) \tag{3}$$

Analogously we obtain

$$\big[ \varphi^- (x) , \varphi^+ (y) \big]=\frac{-1}{2(2\pi)^3}\int d^3 \vec k \frac{1}{\omega_{\vec k}}e^{ik\cdot(x-y)} \tag{4}$$

$$\Delta^-(x) := \frac{i}{2(2 \pi)^3} \int \frac{d^3 \vec k}{\omega_{\vec k}}e^{ik\cdot x}=\frac{-1}{2i(2 \pi)^3} \int \frac{d^3 \vec k}{\omega_{\vec k}}e^{ik\cdot x} \tag{5}$$

Plugging ##(5)## into ##(4)## we get

$$\big[ \varphi^- (x) , \varphi^+ (y) \big]=i\Delta^-(x-y) \tag{6}$$

Thus we can finally define

$$\Delta(x) := \Delta^+(x)+\Delta^-(x)=\frac{-1}{(2 \pi)^3} \int \frac{d^3 \vec k}{\omega_{\vec k}}\Big(\frac{e^{ik\cdot x}-e^{-ik\cdot x}}{2i}\Big)=\frac{-1}{(2 \pi)^3} \int \frac{d^3 \vec k}{\omega_{\vec k}}\sin (k \cdot x) \tag{7}$$

And get the desired commutation relation

$$\big[\varphi(x), \varphi(y) \big]=i\Delta(x-y) \tag{8}$$

In this particular exercise we're asked to show ##\big[\varphi(x), \varphi(0) \big]=i\Delta(x)=\frac{1}{(2 \pi)^3} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon(k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{- i k \cdot x}##

Nice! So we only have to show that ##(7)## is equivalent to ##\frac{-i}{(2 \pi)^3} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon(k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{- i k \cdot x}##. To get it done, we first play a bit with ##\delta (k^{2} - m^{2})##; using the definition of the 4-inner product ##k^2=k_0^2-(\vec k)^2## and ##m^2+(\vec k)^2=(k_0)^2 \Rightarrow m^2=(k_0)^2-(\vec k)^2=\omega_{\vec k}^2-(\vec k)^2## we get

$$\delta (k^{2} - m^{2})=\delta (k_0^{2} - (\vec k)^2 - \omega_{\vec k}^2+(\vec k)^2)=\delta(k_0^2-\omega_{\vec k}^2)=\frac{1}{2 \omega_{\vec k}}\Big(\delta(k_0+\omega_{\vec k})+\delta(k_0-\omega_{\vec k})\Big)$$

Plugging the above into ##\frac{-i}{(2 \pi)^3} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon(k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{- i k \cdot x}## and integrating the ##k_0## variable we indeed get ##(7)## (I may type the explicit integration below; I am trying to shorten #1).

This means we can legitimately write

$$\big[\varphi(x), \varphi(0) \big]=i \Delta(x)=\frac{1}{(2 \pi)^3} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon(k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{- i k \cdot x}$$

Where ##C=\frac{1}{(2 \pi)^3} \in \Bbb R##, as stated by samalkhaiat

Physics news on Phys.org
Expansion in terms of creation and annihilation operators is a textbook material, so you can look it up in almost all textbooks. The exercise does not tell you anything about [itex]a[/itex], [itex]a^{\dagger}[/itex] or [itex][ a , a^{\dagger}][/itex]. The exercise asks you to show that the requirement that [itex][\varphi (x) , \varphi (y)][/itex] be an invariant c-number fixes (apart from a constant) the value of the commutator. So there is no [itex]a, a^{\dagger}[/itex] or [itex][a , a^{\dagger}][/itex] in the exercise.

Likes JD_PM
I just used the creation and annihilation commutator to show equations ##(1)## and ##(4)##, which lead to equation ##(8)##. I see it was unnecessary to show ##(8)## as in this exercise we're assuming it.

However; don't you accept the equivalence trick I used?

JD_PM said:
I just used the creation and annihilation commutator to show equations ##(1)## and ##(4)##, which lead to equation ##(8)##. I see it was unnecessary to show ##(8)## as in this exercise we're assuming it.

However; don't you accept the equivalence trick I used?
Again, what you have done is the usual textbook method which take the algebra of the operators [itex](a, a^{\dagger})[/itex] as a postulate. In the exercise, the operators [itex](a,a^{\dagger})[/itex] and their algebra are not given to you. So, you cannot use them at all. In other words, you can do the exercise without knowing anything about the operators [itex](a,a^{\dagger})[/itex]. Hint: re-read the post where the exercise was originally posted. That post contains almost all the information needed to work out the exercise.

The purpose of the exercise was to show you the power of symmetry and to teach you something about Lorentz invariance.

Likes JD_PM
It may depend on the textbook, but one way is to use the equal-time (anti-)commutation relations as a postulate ("canonical quantization"). For free fields you can then introduce the mode decomposition with energy-momentum modes to build the annihilation and creation operators. Their (anti-)commutators follow then from the equal-time (anti-)commutators uniquely. The next step is then the calculation of the various two-point correlation functions, one of which is the commutator of field operators with arbitrary arguments, as is discussed here.

Of course the setup of the problem tells you to use the Lorentz/Poincare symmetry properties only and not the commutation relations for annihilation and creation operators.

Likes JD_PM
Hi samalkhaiat

What I see so far is that if we assume

$$\big[ \varphi (x) , \varphi (y) \big] = i\Delta(x-y)$$

And using the following properties you provided

$$\ (\Lambda k) \cdot (\Lambda x) = k \cdot x$$

$$\ p \cdot (\Lambda x) = (\Lambda^{-1}p) \cdot x$$

$$\ \left(\Lambda^{-1}k \right)^{2} = k^{2}$$

We can show that ##\Delta(x-y)## is Lorentz invariant

$$\Lambda \Delta(x-y)=\frac{-i}{(2 \pi)^3} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon(k_{0}) \delta ((\Lambda^{-1} k)^{2} - m^{2}) \ \Big(e^{- i (\Lambda k) \cdot (\Lambda x-\Lambda y)}-e^{ i (\Lambda k) \cdot (\Lambda x-\Lambda y)}\Big)=\Delta(x-y)$$

Where ##\Lambda## is orthogonal and symmetric so ##\Lambda^{-1} = \Lambda^T = \Lambda##

In our case ##\big[ \varphi (x) , \varphi (0) \big] = i\Delta(x)## so

$$\Lambda \Delta(x)=\frac{-i}{(2 \pi)^3} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon(k_{0}) \delta ((\Lambda^{-1} k)^{2} - m^{2}) \ \Big(e^{- i (\Lambda k) \cdot \Lambda x}-e^{ i (\Lambda k) \cdot \Lambda x}\Big)=\Delta(x)$$

JD_PM said:
show that [tex]\big[\varphi (x) , \varphi (0) \big] = C \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon(k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{- i k \cdot x} ,[/tex] with [itex]C[/itex] being an arbitrary real constant.
The issue I have is that I do not see how to show the above equation without using ##\big[ a (\vec k) , a^{\dagger} (\vec k') \big]=\delta_{\vec k \vec k'}##. Might you please give me another hint/give me an analog solved example?

Thank you very much for your time :smile:

The problem says that the commutator is a c-number function. So, you may define the function [tex][\varphi (x) , \varphi (y)] = F(x,y),[/tex] and try to discover its properties:

1) Translation invariance implies that [itex]F(x + a , y + a) = F(x,y)[/itex], meaning that [itex]F[/itex] can only be a function of [itex](x - y)[/itex], i.e., [itex][\varphi (x) , \varphi (y)] = F (x - y),[/itex] or [tex][\varphi (x) , \varphi (0)] = F(x) .[/tex]

2) Lorentz invariance of the commutator implies that [tex]F(\Lambda x) = F (x).[/tex]

3) Since [itex][\varphi (x) , \varphi (0)] = - [\varphi (0) , \varphi (x)][/itex], [itex]F(x)[/itex] must be an odd function, i.e., [tex]F(x) = - F(-x) .[/tex]

4) Since, [itex]\varphi^{\dagger}(x) = \varphi (x)[/itex], we conclude [tex]F^{\ast}(x) = - F (x).[/tex] So, by considering (3), we write [tex]F^{\ast}(x) = F(-x) = - F(x) . \ \ \ \ \ \ (3 + 4)[/tex]

5) Since [itex]\varphi (x)[/itex] satisfy the Klein-Gordon equation, we conclude that [tex](\partial^{2} + m^{2})[\varphi (x) , \varphi (0)] = 0 = (\partial^{2} + m^{2})F(x) .[/tex]

Thus, In one sentence, [itex]F(x)[/itex] is an odd invariant solution of the Klein-Gordon equation.

Now, (5) allows you to write [tex]F(x) = \int d^{4}p \ e^{-ip \cdot x} \ \delta (p^{2} - m^{2}) \ G(p) , \ \ \ \ \ \ (i)[/tex] where [itex]G(p)[/itex] is defined only on the two hyperboloids [itex]p_{0} = \pm \sqrt{\mathbf{p}^{2} + m^{2}}[/itex]. This means that [itex]p[/itex] is a time-like vector.

Next, show that (2) implies [tex]G(\Lambda p) = G(p).[/tex] Now, since [itex]p^{2}[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon (p_{0})[/itex] are the only two invariants which can be formed from the time-like vector [itex]p[/itex], we may write [tex]G(p) = G_{1}(p^{2}) + \epsilon (p_{0}) \ G_{2}(p^{2}) . \ \ \ \ \ (ii)[/tex] Now, if you put (ii) in (i) and use the property [itex]f(x) \delta (x-a) = f(a)\delta (x-a)[/itex], you get [tex]F(x) = \int d^{4}p \ \delta (p^{2} - m^{2}) \left( C_{1} + \epsilon(p_{0}) C_{2}\right) \ e^{- i p \cdot x} ,[/tex] where [itex]C_{n} = G_{n}(m^{2}), \ n = 1,2[/itex] are constants.

Now, from the oddness of [itex]F(x)[/itex](property 3 above) you can easily show that [tex]C_{1} = - C_{1}, \ \Rightarrow \ \ C_{1} = 0.[/tex]

Finally, use (3+4) to show that [itex]C_{2} = C^{\ast}_{2}[/itex], meaning that [itex]C_{2}[/itex] is a real constant. Thus, you end up with [tex][\varphi (x) , \varphi (0)] = C_{2} \int d^{4}k \ e^{-ikx} \ \epsilon (k_{0}) \ \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) .[/tex]

• Love
Likes JD_PM, Abhishek11235 and vanhees71
Finally ##C_2## is determined from the equal-time canonical commutation relation
$$[\Pi(0,\vec{x}),\varphi(0)]=[\dot{\varphi}(0,\vec{x}),\varphi(0)]=-\mathrm{i} \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}).$$

Likes JD_PM

1. What is a commutator in the context of working out ##\big[\varphi (x) , \varphi (0) \big]##?

A commutator is a mathematical operation that involves the multiplication of two quantities in a specific order, followed by the multiplication of the same two quantities in the opposite order, and then taking the difference between the two results. In the context of working out ##\big[\varphi (x) , \varphi (0) \big]##, the commutator represents the difference between the values of the field operator ##\varphi## at two different points in space, x and 0.

2. Why is the commutator ##\big[\varphi (x) , \varphi (0) \big]## important in physics?

The commutator ##\big[\varphi (x) , \varphi (0) \big]## is important in physics because it is related to the concept of causality. In quantum field theory, the value of a field at a given point can affect the value of the field at another point only if the two points are close enough in space and time. The commutator helps to quantify this relationship and is used to derive important physical quantities such as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the propagator function.

3. How is the commutator ##\big[\varphi (x) , \varphi (0) \big]## calculated?

The commutator ##\big[\varphi (x) , \varphi (0) \big]## is calculated using the commutator algebra, which involves using the commutator identities and properties to simplify the expression. In general, the commutator of two operators A and B is given by ##\big[A, B\big] = AB - BA##. In the case of the field operator ##\varphi##, the commutator can be calculated using the canonical commutation relations, which relate the field operator to its conjugate momentum operator.

4. What does the commutator ##\big[\varphi (x) , \varphi (0) \big]## tell us about the field operator?

The commutator ##\big[\varphi (x) , \varphi (0) \big]## tells us about the spatial and temporal behavior of the field operator ##\varphi##. It quantifies the non-commutativity of the field operator at different points in space and time, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. The commutator also helps us to understand the uncertainty in the measurement of the field at different points, as it is related to the commutator through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

5. How does the commutator ##\big[\varphi (x) , \varphi (0) \big]## relate to the quantum field theory Lagrangian?

The commutator ##\big[\varphi (x) , \varphi (0) \big]## is related to the quantum field theory Lagrangian through the equations of motion. The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system, and the equations of motion are derived from it. The commutator of the field operator is used to calculate the equations of motion, which in turn determine the behavior of the field and its interactions with other fields. Therefore, the commutator plays a crucial role in the development and understanding of quantum field theory.