Multinomial functions of matrices

In summary, the branch of mathematics that studies multinomial functions of matrices is linear algebra if scalar fields are involved, abstract algebra if it is a ring, functional analysis if the matrices are infinite-dimensional linear operators, Lie theory if they are part of a Lie group, topology if continuity is the main property, and algebraic geometry if the zeroes of the function are of interest. The Borel Calculus and other types of functional calculus provide a rigorous framework for applying standard "Calculus-like" functions to linear operators, such as matrix valued functions. When considering multinomial functions of square matrices, it is important to clarify the terminology as constant matrix factors may affect the function.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
What branch of mathematics studies multinomial functions of matrices?
What branch of mathematics studies multinomial functions of matrices? ( i.e matrix valued functions of square matrices such as ##f(A,B,C) = ABC + BAC + 2A^2 + 3C##)

Physics news on Phys.org
Linear algebra if we are talking about scalar fields, abstract algebra if it is a ring. Functional analysis if the matrices are possibly infinite-dimensional linear operators, Lie theory if the matrices are part of a Lir group, topology if continuity is the main property, algebraic geometry if the zeroes of ##f## are the subject of interest.

If I understand your question correctly, the Borel Calculus and other types of functional calculus provide a rigorous framework for applying standard "Calculus-like" functions to linear operators so that you can define , e.g., expressions like ##e^{A} ##; ##A## a matrix. I only remember minor details.

I see that a multinomial function of square matrices amounts to "simultaneous" multinomial functions of the entries of the matrices. For example, if we have 2x2 matrices ##A,B## and the 2x2 matrix ##F## is a multinomial in ##A,B## then ##F_{1,2}## is a multinomial function of ##A_{1,1}, A_{1,2}, A_{2,1},A_{2,2}, B_{1,1}, B_{1,2}, B_{2,1}, B_ {2,2}##.

But is the converse true? i.e. If we are given 4 arbitrary multinomial functions ##F_{i,j} ## of those variables, can we find a matrix multinomial function in ##A,B## that gives identical ##F_{i,j}##?

-----
[An edit , added later:]
When applied to variables that are matrices, the terminology "multinomial" may require some clarification. For example, if the variables are ##X,Y## and ##C## is a constant matrix, then ## CXY##, ##XCY## and ##XYC## may be different functions. Do we wish to allow all three examples to be multinomial functions of matrices? - or do we wish to restrict the definition of a "multinomial" function of matrices so that constant (matrix) factors can only appear as the leading factor, or perhaps insist that constant factors must be multiples of the identity matrix?

Last edited:

1. What are multinomial functions of matrices?

Multinomial functions of matrices are mathematical functions that involve multiple variables and matrices. These functions are used to manipulate and analyze data in various fields such as statistics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What are some examples of multinomial functions of matrices?

Some examples of multinomial functions of matrices include determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, matrix multiplication, and matrix inversion. These functions are used to solve equations, find patterns in data, and perform transformations on matrices.

3. How are multinomial functions of matrices different from other types of functions?

Multinomial functions of matrices are different from other types of functions because they involve matrices, which are arrays of numbers. These functions also have multiple variables, which can represent different aspects of the data being analyzed. In addition, multinomial functions of matrices often have more complex structures and properties compared to other types of functions.

4. What are the applications of multinomial functions of matrices?

Multinomial functions of matrices have many applications in various fields. In statistics, they are used to analyze data and make predictions. In engineering, they are used to model and solve problems related to systems and processes. In computer science, they are used for data compression and image processing.

5. What is the importance of understanding multinomial functions of matrices?

Understanding multinomial functions of matrices is important because it allows us to analyze and manipulate data in a more efficient and accurate manner. These functions also have many practical applications in different fields, making them essential for problem-solving and decision-making. Additionally, understanding multinomial functions of matrices can lead to the development of new mathematical techniques and advancements in various industries.