1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple choice Current through Bulb A

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

o9ntw2.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

First I originally tried using kichhoff's rules, but didn't get far.

What is throwing me off is they are giving me the current of the battery instead of the voltage. Since I know circuits in parallels all have the same voltage, I don't really know what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2

lewando

Gold Member

Are you familiar with a current divider? Which path do you think allows more current--through A or through B-C?

4. Oct 19, 2012 #3
    the path through A allows for current, since the path through B-C gets split up into two small currents.

5. Oct 19, 2012 #4

lewando

Gold Member

Both paths allow for current. Path A allows for more current because it has less resistance. Knowing this you can solve the multiple choice question by process of elimination.

Knowing what a current divider is and how to use is helpful: http://physics.eou.edu/courses/phys_223/sg2/node6.html

If you want to solve another way, find the equivalent resistance [edit-- oops no resistance specified. So assume 1Ω per bulb. You will get a resulting voltage], then find the voltage, then find the individual currents. All three of these paths lead to the same answer.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook