1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple engineering disciplines

1. Apr 30, 2015 #1
    I'm currently studying Software Engineering. But I also have a major passion and interest in mechanical systems and electronics (specifically electrodynamics and pretty much anything which involves physics and mathematics). Since I have a giant greed for knowledge, is there a possibility that I could study multiple fields of engineering? Perhaps not simultaneously, but studying another discipline after my initial degree.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's going to depend on how much time and money you can devote to school.

Things like having a job or a life can get in the way of being a full-time professional student. :eek:

4. Apr 30, 2015 #3
    I suppose my main concern is if I will be accredited and acknowledged in the multiple areas of study.

5. Apr 30, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If this is what you want, you'll have to attend a school with an accredited engineering program and obtain a degree, especially if you want to practice in another engineering field.

There may be online courses you can take for certain topics, which count as continuing education credits, for example, if you obtain a professional engineer's license.

Since you appear to be currently in school, why don't you talk things over with your faculty advisor?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook