1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which Engineering Discipline With Physics (Mechanical or Electrical)

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    I'm currently an "exploratory engineering" major at the university- which pretty much means I'm still taking interdisciplinary courses and haven't chosen a discipline yet. I want to continue with my engineering education but I'm also interested in physics. The college of engineering offers civil, mechanical, and electrical, but I really don't know whether I'd rather go into mechanical or electrical engineering. So my question is, which discipline would go better with physics, mechanical or electrical engineering?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2
    Both have physics heavy research areas within their discipline.

EE you can do electromagnetics (applied E&M), plasma (depending on the department, but this is basically applied E&M), semiconductors and superconductors (applied quantum), nano-electronic fabrication (modern physics).

ME you can do thermodynamics, fluid/gas dynamics, orbital mechanics, material science (applied quantum).

Depends on what part of physics you like.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook