Which Engineering Discipline With Physics (Mechanical or Electrical)

In summary, the speaker is an exploratory engineering major who is interested in continuing their education in engineering and also has an interest in physics. They are unsure whether to choose mechanical or electrical engineering as their discipline and want to know which one would be a better fit for physics. Both disciplines have areas of research that heavily involve physics, such as applied electromagnetics, plasma, and quantum mechanics. The decision would depend on the specific area of physics that the speaker is interested in.
elang
I'm currently an "exploratory engineering" major at the university- which pretty much means I'm still taking interdisciplinary courses and haven't chosen a discipline yet. I want to continue with my engineering education but I'm also interested in physics. The college of engineering offers civil, mechanical, and electrical, but I really don't know whether I'd rather go into mechanical or electrical engineering. So my question is, which discipline would go better with physics, mechanical or electrical engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
elang said:
I'm currently an "exploratory engineering" major at the university- which pretty much means I'm still taking interdisciplinary courses and haven't chosen a discipline yet. I want to continue with my engineering education but I'm also interested in physics. The college of engineering offers civil, mechanical, and electrical, but I really don't know whether I'd rather go into mechanical or electrical engineering. So my question is, which discipline would go better with physics, mechanical or electrical engineering?

Both have physics heavy research areas within their discipline.

EE you can do electromagnetics (applied E&M), plasma (depending on the department, but this is basically applied E&M), semiconductors and superconductors (applied quantum), nano-electronic fabrication (modern physics).

ME you can do thermodynamics, fluid/gas dynamics, orbital mechanics, material science (applied quantum).

Depends on what part of physics you like.

1. Which engineering discipline, mechanical or electrical, is better for someone who enjoys physics?

This ultimately depends on personal preference and career goals. Both mechanical and electrical engineering involve working with physics principles. Mechanical engineering focuses on the design and manufacturing of physical systems and machines, while electrical engineering focuses on the design and development of electrical systems and devices. If you enjoy hands-on work and designing physical structures, mechanical engineering may be a better fit. If you are more interested in electronics and circuitry, then electrical engineering may be a better option.

2. Is a background in physics necessary for studying mechanical or electrical engineering?

A background in physics is not necessary, but it can be helpful. Both disciplines require a strong understanding of physics principles, and having a foundation in physics can make it easier to understand the concepts and theories in engineering courses. However, many engineering programs offer introductory physics courses as part of their curriculum.

3. Which engineering discipline has better job prospects?

Both mechanical and electrical engineering have strong job prospects in various industries. It ultimately depends on the specific industry and job market at the time. Mechanical engineers may have more opportunities in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing, while electrical engineers may have more opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and electronics. It is important to research the job market and demand for engineers in your area to determine which discipline may have better job prospects.

4. Can I switch from one engineering discipline to another after starting my studies?

It is possible to switch from one engineering discipline to another, but it may require additional coursework and time. The core principles of engineering are similar across disciplines, so there may be some overlap in coursework. However, each discipline has its own specialized courses and requirements, so it is important to speak with an academic advisor before making the switch to ensure a smooth transition.

5. Which engineering discipline has a higher salary potential?

The salary potential for both mechanical and electrical engineers can vary depending on factors such as location, experience, and industry. Generally, both disciplines have high earning potential and can lead to lucrative careers. It is important to research the average salaries in your desired field and location to determine which discipline may have a higher salary potential for you.