Multiple Sources At Different Frequencies (Probability)

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of one source producing outputs at a faster rate than another source. After some scenarios are considered, it is determined that the solution is simply 0.1. Further discussion on how to prove this more elegantly is sought.
rollypollybear
Hi

My prob theory is rusty and I am a little embarrassed I can't figure this one out - but:

If we have two sources A and B that are producing an output at different frequencies - say A produces outputs every 100ms and B produces an output every 250ms .. Obviously even if they are perfectly synced, A may be ahead of B at certain times (by up to 50ms)...I am trying to calculate the probability that an event from A will be more recent than B at any point in time

Can someone help me out with some pointers on this?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
OK I did some scenarios on paper and it looks like the solution is stupidly simple - the probability of source A running at 250ms intervals being ahead of source B running at 100ms intervals is 0.1 ... I don't know if anyone knows how to prove this more elegantly though..

1. What is the concept of multiple sources at different frequencies in probability?

In probability, multiple sources at different frequencies refer to the occurrence of events or outcomes that have different probabilities of happening. This means that there are multiple sources or factors that can influence the likelihood of an event occurring, and each source has its own frequency or rate of occurrence.

2. How do you calculate the probability of multiple sources at different frequencies?

The probability of multiple sources at different frequencies can be calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each source. For example, if there are three sources with probabilities of 0.5, 0.3, and 0.2, the overall probability would be 0.5 x 0.3 x 0.2 = 0.03 or 3%.

3. What is the difference between independent and dependent sources in multiple frequencies?

Independent sources in multiple frequencies refer to events that are not affected by each other and have their own individual probabilities. On the other hand, dependent sources in multiple frequencies are events that are influenced by each other and have interconnected probabilities.

4. How can understanding multiple sources at different frequencies be useful in real-life situations?

Understanding multiple sources at different frequencies can be useful in various real-life situations, such as risk assessment and decision making. By knowing the probabilities of different sources, we can make more informed decisions and assess the potential risks involved in a situation.

5. Can the concept of multiple sources at different frequencies be applied to non-probabilistic situations?

Yes, the concept of multiple sources at different frequencies can also be applied to non-probabilistic situations, such as in data analysis and statistical modeling. In these cases, the frequencies may represent the occurrence of certain data points or variables, and understanding their relationships can help in making predictions or drawing conclusions.