Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplication between vector and vector operator

1. Jun 30, 2013 #1
    How this is defined?

##\vec{r}\cdot \vec{\sigma}##?
    where ##\vec{r}=(x,y,z)## and ##\vec{\sigma}=(\sigma_x,\sigma_y,\sigma_z)##. ##\sigma_i## are Pauli spin matrices.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2013 #2
    It's a 2x2 matrix... It seems you've stumbled on the way to represent the location of a point in space as a 2x2 matrix instead of a vector. I'm fuzzy on the rigorous details, but it has something to do with the relationship between SO(3) and SU(2).

4. Jun 30, 2013 #3
    In quantum mechanics, both of those objects are operators. The operator [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] operates on state vectors in real space, whereas the operator [itex]\sigma[/itex] operates on spinors in spin space. You can treat (symbolically) the dot product between [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] and [itex]\sigma[/itex] as a normal dot product between two vectors, i.e.

[tex]\mathbf{r}\cdot\sigma=x\sigma_x+y\sigma_y+z\sigma_z[/tex]

where the [itex]x,y,z,\sigma_x,\sigma_y,\sigma_z[/itex] are all operators. Say we have a state [itex]|\psi\rangle=|\phi\rangle\otimes|\chi\rangle[/itex] where [itex]|\phi\rangle[/itex] is a state vector in real space and [itex]|\chi\rangle[/itex] is a spinor. Then

[tex]\mathbf{r}\cdot\sigma|\psi\rangle=x\sigma_x|\psi\rangle+y\sigma_y|\psi \rangle+z\sigma_z|\psi\rangle[/tex]
    [tex]=x|\phi\rangle\otimes\sigma_x|\chi\rangle+y|\phi\rangle\otimes \sigma_y|\chi\rangle+z|\phi\rangle\otimes\sigma_z|\chi\rangle[/tex]

where the operators [itex]x,y,z[/itex] operate on the real space state vector [itex]|\phi\rangle[/itex] and the operators [itex]\sigma_x,\sigma_y,\sigma_z[/itex] operate on the spinor [itex]|\chi\rangle[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook