Multiplying non-disjoint permutation cycles

In summary: I recommend trying it out.In summary, the author has been having issues with multiplying non-disjoint permutation cycles and is looking for help. There are several tutorials available, one of which explains the cycle notation.
Saint Medici
Maybe I'm just being dense, but I've been having issues with the multiplying non-disjoint permutation cycles (as you may have guessed from the topic title). Simple products like (1, 4, 5, 6)(2, 1, 5) [an example from my textbook], as well as in the opposite order. Mayhap that I'm tired.

Disjoint cycles are quite easy, so I'm not sure what's going on in my head that fails me so.

-x

Physics news on Phys.org
Just keep track of each element, keeping in mind that the order is reversed, eg, ab is the permutation b followed by the permutation a. So, in your example, 1 is sent by the second cycle (in the order they're written) to 5, then 5 is sent by the first to 6, so 1 ends up at 6. 6 is unmoved by the second cycle, then moved by the first to 1. Thus one of the cycles in the product is the transposition (1 6) (usually these are written without commas).

Here are some links with nice tutorials:

1) Permutation groups in the blog "The unapologetic mathematician" here
This is where I first learned about the cycle notation.

2) Tom Davis http://mathcircle.berkeley.edu/BMC3/perm/perm.html contains a chapter on the
http://mathcircle.berkeley.edu/BMC3/perm/node3.html . Read the next pages too.

3) Short article at Wolfram Mathworld

4) Sarah Kitchen's notes on Permutation groups and polynomials. Read the chapter on "Cycle Decomposition" on page 2 and 3.

5) Jaap's puzzle explains permutations with diagrams

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found an awesome interactive flash video on permutations.
First of all watch the graphics http://nrich.maths.org/public/viewer.php?obj_id=2781&part=index.

Then watch the tutorials on how to use the interactive flash video:
http://nrich.maths.org/public/viewer.php?obj_id=2789&part=. Watch the first tutorial "Making Shuffles"
and then try out producing some shuffles with the
http://nrich.maths.org/public/viewer.php?obj_id=2741&part=index. Then watch the second tutorial "Manipulating Shuffles".
You should then be able to calculate
your example (1 4 5 6)(2 1 5) with the Shuffle Factory Program.

(i) Just start by creating the (1 5 2) shuffle and the (1 4 5 6) shuffle.
Note that (2 1 5) is the same as (1 5 2).
Of course, both shuffles have to consist of "6 pearls".
Make a copy of both and put them on the right side.

(ii) Now work with the copies:
Put the (1 4 5 6) below the (2 1 5) shuffle like this:

(1 4 5 6)
(2 1 5)

Then merge them together and see the result by first clicking on the PLAY button
in the right bottom corner of the merged shuffle. You can follow the path of the pearls.
Then press the button in the left bottom corner of the shuffle to finally merge the two shuffles together.
See the result.

This is really fun!

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of multiplying non-disjoint permutation cycles?

The purpose of multiplying non-disjoint permutation cycles is to combine two or more separate permutation cycles into one, resulting in a new permutation cycle that represents the composite permutation of the original cycles. This is useful in certain mathematical and scientific applications.

2. How do you multiply non-disjoint permutation cycles?

To multiply non-disjoint permutation cycles, you simply perform the permutation cycle operations in order from left to right. This means that the permutation operation on the right will be applied first, followed by the operation on the left. The resulting permutation cycle will be the composite of the two original cycles.

3. What is the difference between multiplying disjoint and non-disjoint permutation cycles?

The main difference between multiplying disjoint and non-disjoint permutation cycles is that disjoint cycles do not share any common elements, while non-disjoint cycles do. This means that when multiplying non-disjoint cycles, you may need to adjust the indices of certain elements in the resulting cycle to account for the shared elements.

4. Can I multiply more than two non-disjoint permutation cycles?

Yes, you can multiply any number of non-disjoint permutation cycles. The process remains the same - simply perform the permutation operations in order from left to right. However, as the number of cycles increases, the resulting composite permutation cycle may become more complex and may require more careful adjustment of indices.

5. What are some real-world examples of multiplying non-disjoint permutation cycles?

Multiplying non-disjoint permutation cycles is commonly used in cryptography and coding theory, where it is used to generate complex encryption algorithms. It is also used in the study of group theory and combinatorics to analyze the properties and structures of mathematical objects. Additionally, it has applications in computer graphics and animation, where it is used to manipulate and transform digital images and objects.