Algebra and Permutations: Determining the Parity of an Element in S_n

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
decerto
Messages
84
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Suppose σ is an element of S_n, if σ^5=1, is σ necessarily odd or even

Homework Equations



[itex]Parity(\sigma)= (\sum_{i=1}^k(|c_i|-1)) mod 2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Really unsure how to even start this, I think I have to use the fact you can decompose every permutation into a product of disjoint or 2 cycles and use their properties to show in what cases it's even or odd but I'm not really sure.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
decerto said:

Homework Statement



Suppose σ is an element of S_n, if σ^5=1, is σ necessarily odd or even

Homework Equations



[itex]Parity(\sigma)= (\sum_{i=1}^k(|c_i|-1)) mod 2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Really unsure how to even start this, I think I have to use the fact you can decompose every permutation into a product of disjoint or 2 cycles and use their properties to show in what cases it's even or odd but I'm not really sure.

##\sigma^5=\sigma \sigma \sigma \sigma \sigma=1##. ##1## is an even permutation. Suppose ##\sigma## were odd. Then what would be the parity of ##\sigma^5##?
 
What does σ5 being even tell you?
 
Last edited: