Products of disjoint cycles. Explanation please.

In summary, Tamintl is struggling to understand cycles, and may have missed something. The product of cycles is (1,2,3).
tamintl
Hey all,

Currently trying to revise products of disjoint cycles. I am struggling to get my head around the idea however. Its strange, i can generate disjoint cycles easily however i can't quite see the product of cycles. Mabye I've missed something.

eg of what i don't quite get.

What is the product of
(1,2,3)(1,2)

My textbook says the answer is (1,3) but i can't understand how this is?

Please shed some light!

Kind regards
Tamintl

Physics news on Phys.org
The cycles are applied right to left.

The cycle (1 2) means that 1→2→1.
The cycle (1 2 3) means 1→2→3→1.

So 1→2 by the second cycle and then 2→3 by the first cycle.
In the same way 3→3 by the second cycle, and then 3→1 by the first cycle.
Finally 2→1→2, so 2 does not change.

So the combination of the 2 cycles is 1→3→1 or (1 3).

Cheers!

Welcome to PF!

Hey Tamintl! Welcome to PF! :smile:

So far as I know, you have to do it for each element separately (starting at the right).

So 2 goes to 1 and then 1 goes to 2.

3 goes to 3 and then 3 goes to 1.

1 goes to 2 and then 2 goes to 3.

That makes (1,3). :wink:

tamintl said:
Hey all,

Currently trying to revise products of disjoint cycles. I am struggling to get my head around the idea however. Its strange, i can generate disjoint cycles easily however i can't quite see the product of cycles. Mabye I've missed something.

eg of what i don't quite get.

What is the product of
(1,2,3)(1,2)

My textbook says the answer is (1,3) but i can't understand how this is?

Please shed some light!

Kind regards
Tamintl

(1,2) abbreviates the function g(x) defined as follows:
g(1) = 2
g(2)= 1
g(x) = x for all other values of x

(1,2,3) abbreviates the function f(x) defined as follows:
f(1) = 2
f(2) = 3
f(3) = 1
f(x) = x for all other values of x

The product (1,2,3)(1,2) abbreviates the composition of functions h(x) = f(g(x))

h(1) = f(g(1)) = f(2) = 3
h(2) = f(g(2)) = f(1) = 2
h(3) = f(g(3)) = f(3) = 1

This can be summarized as
h(1) = 3
h(3) = 1
h(x) = x for other values of x

Hence h(x) can be abbreviated as (1,3)

Of course, you can find simpler ways to visualize the multiplication so you don't have to write out the process in that much detail. Start with an ordered set (a,b,c) and apply the permutations to it and note the relative postions of the letters when you finish. Express how the letters are displaced as a product of cycles.

Wow thanks guys.. i see it now! I didnt realize you visualised the disjoints as permutations on their own, and then link them together

Thanks

I'm impressed that you got a cycle of 3 people answering the same question at the same time.
Especially tiny-tim who achieved to publish his post in the same minute as I did! :smile:

1. What are products of disjoint cycles?

Products of disjoint cycles refer to a type of permutation in which elements are rearranged in a specific order. Disjoint cycles are cycles that do not share any elements, meaning that they are completely separate from each other.

2. How are products of disjoint cycles written?

Products of disjoint cycles are written using cycle notation, where each cycle is enclosed in parentheses and the elements within the cycle are separated by commas. For example, (1 2 3)(4 5) is a product of two disjoint cycles, with the first cycle rearranging the elements 1, 2, and 3, and the second cycle rearranging the elements 4 and 5.

3. How are products of disjoint cycles calculated?

To calculate a product of disjoint cycles, you can simply follow the cycle notation and apply the rearrangements in order. For example, if we have the product (1 2 3)(4 5), we would first rearrange the elements 1, 2, and 3 according to the first cycle, and then rearrange the elements 4 and 5 according to the second cycle.

4. What are the properties of products of disjoint cycles?

Products of disjoint cycles have several properties, including being commutative (the order of multiplication does not matter), being associative (the order of parentheses does not matter), and having an identity element (the product of an empty cycle).

5. How are products of disjoint cycles used in mathematics?

Products of disjoint cycles are commonly used in group theory and abstract algebra to study and classify different types of permutations. They are also used in cryptography to encode and decode messages, as well as in combinatorics to count the number of possible arrangements. Additionally, they have applications in other areas such as computer science and physics.