Multiplying Voltage for Coil Gun - DIY Project

• Thread starter poekrel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the conversation discusses the best method for multiplying voltage for a coil gun project. The person is seeking resources for designing and creating the necessary multiplier, and some suggest using a 120v wall adapter instead of a battery pack. It is recommended to use a transformer for safety purposes.
poekrel
I'm just starting a project that I've been thinking about for quite some time. i would like to make a coil gun. my question is this: what would be the best method of multiplying the voltage from, say, two 9V batteries up to an amount fit for charging four 400V 6300uf capacitors. i don't want anything too big like a dc/dc converter but something that i can assimilate into the coil gun design. And considering my laughable experience with circuits (about two courses of electrical classes) do any of you have resources for me to learn how to design and make the multiplier that i need?

Engineering news on Phys.org
so I've talked to a few professors at my college and several suggested that instead of trying to step up the voltage from a battery pack that i might consider using a 120v wall adapter as my source voltage.it would limit its mobility but if it makes the circuitry significantly easier and decreases the charging time on the capacitor banks then I am willing to trade for it. any suggestions for me from any one?

Perhaps they have in mind the Cockcroft-Walton multiplier rectifier? http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/8.html

It would be highly advisable to use a transformer, in any case, to provide a measure of safety while you construct and test it, as well as for the operator.

Sorry, we won't help you build a coil gun here. Thread closed.

Related to Multiplying Voltage for Coil Gun - DIY Project

1. How does a coil gun work?

A coil gun uses electromagnetism to accelerate a projectile by passing a high voltage current through a series of coils, creating a magnetic field that propels the projectile forward.

2. What materials do I need to build a coil gun?

The basic materials needed for a coil gun include a power source, such as a battery or capacitor, a series of coils, a projectile, and a switch to control the flow of current.

3. How do I multiply voltage for my coil gun?

Multiplying voltage for a coil gun can be achieved by using a device called a voltage multiplier, which uses a series of diodes and capacitors to increase the voltage of the power source.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a coil gun?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when working with high voltage and electrical components. This includes wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and ensuring all connections are secure before testing the coil gun.

5. Can I use a coil gun for hunting or self-defense?

No, coil guns are not suitable for hunting or self-defense purposes as they are not as powerful or accurate as traditional firearms and can be dangerous if not properly built and handled.