Multistage/cascaded refrigeration system

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a multistage refrigeration system and a cascaded refrigeration system. Multistage refrigeration systems use multiple compressors to achieve higher pressure ratios and more efficient results in wider temperature ranges. There is confusion between whether multistage refers to using the same refrigerant in two cycles with a common heat exchanger (A) or using a multistage compressor in a single cycle (B). Cascade refrigeration systems use different refrigerants in two cycles with a common heat exchanger and have wider temperature ranges. The speaker is still confused and looking for clarification.
ank_gl
:grumpy::cry::frown::frown::cry::grumpy:
i am not getting what is the difference between a multistage refrigeration system and a cascaded refrigeration system. i know why staging refrigeration is used.
1# to achieve higher pressure ratio with two or more compressor or multi staging in compressors, thus increasing volumetric efficiency.
2# to get efficient results in wider temperature ranges.

So far, i am confused in following situations.
A#multi staging might refer to refrigeration in 2 cycles with a common heat exchanger(between evaporator for upper cycle and condenser for lower cycle) with same working fluid(refrigerant)
B#multi staging might refer to use of a multistage compressor in a single cycle
C#cascade refrigeration system might refer to refrigeration in 2 cycles with a common heat exchanger(between evaporator for upper cycle and condenser for lower cycle) with different working fluid(refrigerant).

B is out of question, i am confused between A and C, the numerical problems states so. in multi staging, same refrigerant is used and the temperature range is like -20C to 35C and in cascaded numerical, different refrigerants are used, and temperature ranges are wide, -70C to 40C, but then in some other book, i found it all being mixed up, i am totally confused now:confused:.

Engineering news on Phys.org
anyone?? i m totally confused, professor won't let me go ahead until i clear this up

noooooooooo, can't anyone help

1. How does a multistage/cascaded refrigeration system work?

A multistage/cascaded refrigeration system works by using multiple stages of refrigeration cycles to achieve lower temperatures than a single-stage system. The first stage uses a refrigerant with a higher boiling point to cool the second stage, which then uses a refrigerant with an even lower boiling point to achieve even lower temperatures.

2. What are the advantages of using a multistage/cascaded refrigeration system?

The main advantage of a multistage/cascaded refrigeration system is its ability to achieve much lower temperatures than a single-stage system. This makes it ideal for applications that require extremely low temperatures, such as in industrial and scientific settings. It also allows for better energy efficiency and cost savings in the long run.

3. What types of refrigerants are used in a multistage/cascaded refrigeration system?

A variety of refrigerants can be used in a multistage/cascaded refrigeration system, depending on the specific needs and requirements of the application. Some common refrigerants used include ammonia, carbon dioxide, and various hydrocarbons. These refrigerants are chosen for their specific thermodynamic properties and compatibility with the system.

4. How is the performance of a multistage/cascaded refrigeration system measured?

The performance of a multistage/cascaded refrigeration system is typically measured using the coefficient of performance (COP). This is a ratio of the amount of cooling produced to the amount of energy consumed. A higher COP indicates better efficiency and performance.

5. What are some common applications of multistage/cascaded refrigeration systems?

Multistage/cascaded refrigeration systems are commonly used in industrial and scientific applications that require extremely low temperatures. This includes cryogenic processes, medical and pharmaceutical storage, and food preservation. They can also be found in some commercial refrigeration systems and air conditioning units that require high levels of cooling.