Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multistage/cascaded refrigeration system

1. Dec 26, 2007 #1
    :grumpy::cry::frown::frown::cry::grumpy:
    i am not getting what is the difference between a multistage refrigeration system and a cascaded refrigeration system. i know why staging refrigeration is used.
    1# to achieve higher pressure ratio with two or more compressor or multi staging in compressors, thus increasing volumetric efficiency.
    2# to get efficient results in wider temperature ranges.

So far, i am confused in following situations.
    A#multi staging might refer to refrigeration in 2 cycles with a common heat exchanger(between evaporator for upper cycle and condenser for lower cycle) with same working fluid(refrigerant)
    B#multi staging might refer to use of a multistage compressor in a single cycle
    C#cascade refrigeration system might refer to refrigeration in 2 cycles with a common heat exchanger(between evaporator for upper cycle and condenser for lower cycle) with different working fluid(refrigerant).

B is out of question, i am confused between A and C, the numerical problems states so. in multi staging, same refrigerant is used and the temperature range is like -20C to 35C and in cascaded numerical, different refrigerants are used, and temperature ranges are wide, -70C to 40C, but then in some other book, i found it all being mixed up, i am totally confused now:confused:.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2007 #2
    anyone?? i m totally confused, professor wont let me go ahead untill i clear this up

4. Jan 3, 2008 #3
    noooooooooo, cant anyone help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?