1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivalued limit of (i + i/n)^n

1. Dec 10, 2015 #1
    I realised that (i + i/n)n approaches 4 discrete values (e, ei, -e and -ei) as n approaches infinity (if n is integer). (If I take that i2 = 1, then it approaches two discrete values (e and ei)). Does this kind of "multivalued limit" have some other name so I can learn more about it or where it has been applied ?

Why is ei not equal to this limit (since e1 is equal to the limit (1 + 1/n)n as n approaches inifinity) ? I know it's a matter of definitions but why isn't it defined this way ?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi ff,

"approaches 4 discrete values" is a little bit self-contradictory. Perhaps it's more sensible in this case to replace n by x (x a real number) and speak of a limit cycle (the circle ##|{\bf z}| = 1##) in the complex plane

"Why is ei not equal to this limit (since e1 is equal to the limit (1 + 1/n)n as n approaches inifinity) ?"

That is because ##e^i = \lim \,({\bf 1}+i/n)^n\ \ \ ## :smile:

--

4. Dec 10, 2015 #3
    Hi BU,
    Thanks for the "cycle". I think you meant ##|{\bf z}| = e## in this case though.

5. Dec 10, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I certainly do :smile: ! Sorry for the mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook