1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable calculus/analysis problem

1. Jul 6, 2008 #1
    Hi guys... Haven't been in the forum for a couple years now.
    I have an old analysis problem that I never manage to solve. Would be nice if someone can shed some light on this.

let [tex]f[/tex] be a [tex]C^1[/tex] function from [tex]\mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/tex], [tex]n>1[/tex]. [tex]df[/tex] is invertible except at isolated points (WLOG assume only at 0), prove that [tex]f[/tex] is locally injective, i.e. there is a neighborhood around each point in the domain such that [tex]f[/tex] is injective.

thoughts about this problem: contraction principle doesn't work at all, since df gets really small around 0. The theorem is false when n=1 (like y=x^2), this makes me think the problem should involve some (if not mostly) topology of R^n

I asked my topology professor but he said he can't think of a solution right away, he told me to consider the eigenvectors of the derivative... would be nice if anyone can put this problem to "sleep" once and for all.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, the inverse function theorem implies that f is locally bijective everywhere except perhaps at 0. You must prove that f is injective at 0 also?

4. Jul 6, 2008 #3
    yes, precisely what the problem is about... i think it may be best to look at special cases like [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] first.

5. Jul 6, 2008 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is it true for f(x,y)=x²+y² (the 2-dimensinal version of y=x²)??

6. Jul 6, 2008 #5
    i think you forgot that f has to be a function from [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] to [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] :wink:

7. Jul 7, 2008 #6
    In case anyone is still interested in this problem...in the 2D case, i can show (i think) that there exists a neighborhood U of 0, such that f is injective on U-{0} using Jordon curve theorem. However, I cannot proceed any further.

I don't know if my reasoning is 100% correct. Generally, I first pick a [tex]U[/tex] around 0, small enough such that [tex]|df|[/tex] is bounded by some upper bound. [tex]f(U)[/tex] is bounded, by uniform continuity. I suppose [tex]x,y\neq 0[/tex] and [tex]f(x)=f(y)[/tex], take a path from [tex]x[/tex] to [tex]y[/tex], call it [tex]g:I\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2[/tex], with non-vanishing derivative. it's image under [tex]f[/tex] will be a loop, call it [tex]h[/tex]. if the loop is self-intersecting, we can cut out the self-intersecting part (the pre-image will become line segments, but that is fine). This cutting process must end because we can cover the image of [tex]g[/tex] by finitely many balls under which [tex]f[/tex] is a homeomorphism by inverse function theorem and compactness, so that the length of each sub-loop (the self-intersecting part) must have a non-zero lower bound. the resulting loop is piecewise [tex]C^1[/tex] and has non-vanishing derivative (when it exists) since [tex]dh=df\cdot dg[/tex]. Then [tex]f(U-\{\textrm{finitely many line segments}\})=f(U)-\{\textrm{the modified loop}\}[/tex] has at least two components by Jordan curve theorem, yet [tex]U-\{\textrm{finitely many line segments}\}[/tex] is path connected, a contradiction.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?