Music to Lift Your Soul: 4 Genres & Honorable Mention

• Music
  • Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift Music
In summary, the classical genre is very popular, with four pieces represented. The best music ever is classical, with JS Bach's "Air On A G String" standing out. Hard rock is also popular, with Fit For Rivals and your Worst Mistake being two examples. Country is another genre that is well-represented, with Jed Zeppelin and Merle Haggard being particularly popular. And finally, there is some great fusion music represented, with Cartoon Theory's "Wizardry Mind" and 826aska's "A Whole New World" being particular favorites.
Yard Birds.

Likes difalcojr
Science news on Phys.org
difalcojr said:
It almost seemed like Melanie actually knew "Ruby Tuesday" (model Linda Keith), and it was a sad eulogy of a sort for a friend, she sang it with such energy.

Don't think it makes any difference of happy vs. sad songs. Sad songs can be inspirational for me too.
Totally agree. My favourite songs and classical pieces uplift me by breaking my heart a little.

Waterloo Sunset. Kinks
God only knows. Beach boys
The only living boy in New York. S&G
Carry on. CSN.
Strawberry Fields. Beatles.
Man with child in his eyes. Kate Bush.
If I can dream. Elvis Presley.
The Eagle. ABBA.
All along the Watch tower. James Marshall Hendrix

There is a sadness in all of them and could pick 20 more easily.

I hope I have posted a few of these. I'll check, it is bank holiday for us (England) tomo!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes difalcojr
strangerep said:
Thanks.

I have another instrument question: Near the start of

at 0:19 there's a brief sound like a rocket launching, just before the thumping bass line drops. What's the instrument producing the rocket-launch sound? Synth? Electric Guitar?

It sounds like a sine wave through a ring modulator. They are either turning a knob or using portmanteau, that classic feature where the synth glissandos from one designated pitch to the next. (Think ELP's Lucky Man.) It would be tricky to do that live so I bet it's recorded. Lots of bands play along with recordings these days. I don't know how they keep in sync with those recordings. Someone like Gaga might play purely with recordings in place of a band.

Chick Corea rest his soul used to play through a ring modulator a lot. You may hear this on Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy. I don't recall which tunes. Jan Hammer used too, though IMO badly. This technique has disappeared completely.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970 and strangerep
pinball1970 said:
Yard Birds.

I like this one from the same album with Eric Clapton on guitar. This is the invention of hard rock guitar solos. Jeff is on the A side of the album, Eric on the B side that has the raveups. Eric quit before the record came out because the Yards were going too pop for him. In Bali I met Paul Whitehead, an artist who had moved in the same London circles. He told me he asked Eric why he joined John Mayall (next after Yardbirds). Eric replied, "I wanted to play the real folk blues." Too bad Mayall's technique back then was so poor. I can't listen to him.

Eric later raved up bigtime with Cream on Wheels of Fire. Third album I ever bought. I listened to it many times and have it pretty much memorized. My vote for the most avant garde gold record ever made. Did you know the wheels of fire are the chakras of rajah yoga renown?

Likes pinball1970 and difalcojr
pinball1970 said:
Totally agree. My favourite songs and classical pieces uplift me by breaking my heart a little.

Waterloo Sunset. Kinks
God only knows. Beach boys
The only living boy in New York. S&G
Carry on. CSN.
Strawberry Fields. Beatles.
Man with child in his eyes. Kate Bush.
If I can dream. Elvis Presley.
The Eagle. ABBA.
All along the Watch tower. James Marshall Hendrix

There is a sadness in all of them and could pick 20 more easily.

I hope I have posted a few of these. I'll check, it is bank holiday for us (England) tomo!

This gave me an idea. Heh heh heh.

I usually don't post my rough drafts but what the heck.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
This gave me an idea. Heh heh heh.

I usually don't post my rough drafts but what the heck.

Your mash ups give me ear worms I cannot extract for months!

Back