Music to Lift Your Soul: 4 Genres & Honorable Mention

• Music
  • Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift Music
In summary, the classical genre is very popular, with four pieces represented. The best music ever is classical, with JS Bach's "Air On A G String" standing out. Hard rock is also popular, with Fit For Rivals and your Worst Mistake being two examples. Country is another genre that is well-represented, with Jed Zeppelin and Merle Haggard being particularly popular. And finally, there is some great fusion music represented, with Cartoon Theory's "Wizardry Mind" and 826aska's "A Whole New World" being particular favorites.
Juna Serita : Hallucigenia

Tower Of Power style fast funk.

Hallucigenia is the name of a famously weird worm known only through fossils.

Likes difalcojr
Science news on Phys.org
Sagittarius A-Star said:
4'33 by John Cage

There is an F# hum that is not in the sheet music...;)

Whatever he meant by this I don't get it. To me it is not music, a blank page is not poetry and a bunch of people on the stage not talking or moving is not a musical or play.

Likes PeroK and Freyja
pinball1970 said:
Whatever he meant by this I don't get it. To me it is not music, a blank page is not poetry and a bunch of people on the stage not talking or moving is not a musical or play.
Rests are part of music:
Wikipedia said:
A rest is a musical notation sign that indicates the absence of a sound.
Rests are intervals of silence in pieces of music
Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_(music)

Sagittarius A-Star said:
Rests are part of music:

Source:
Yes rests are important, what is Cage inserting them to "rest" from?

Would it be appropriate for me to write a sentence consisting of a period only? Punctuated with a few commas?

I am sure there is some sort of artistic, high brow explanation given by Cage himself or art critics but I am pretty certain whatever it is would not convince me it is music.
Besides, any piano piece you or I can play and record as well as any concert musician on the planet should raise an eyebrow.
Is it music?
Is it classical music?
Is it music of value?

If you still answer yes to all of those questions, what is your favourite recording of the piece and why that one?

Likes Freyja
Sagittarius A-Star said:
Rests are part of music:

Source:
I feel the same about modern art. Half a lavatory or a banana attached to the wall via duct tape to me is not art either.

• Love
Likes Astronuc and Freyja
pinball1970 said:
I am sure there is some sort of artistic, high brow explanation given by Cage himself or art critics but I am pretty certain whatever it is would not convince me it is music.

Is John Cage's 4'33'' music?: Prof. Julian Dodd at TEDxUniversityOfManchester

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
Sagittarius A-Star said:
Is John Cage's 4'33'' music?: Prof. Julian Dodd at TEDxUniversityOfManchester

I checked out a few others of his. Not my thing.

Likes Sagittarius A-Star
pinball1970 said:
I feel the same about modern art. Half a lavatory or a banana attached to the wall via duct tape to me is not art either.
THIS!!!

There are only very few exceptions to this rule. Modern art is utter garbage. Again, celebration of mediocrity. You know, where everyone needs something to "relate" to, no matter how idiotic. Where excellence is continuously punished, so that nobody feels "less than", even though they are :rolleyes:. Participation trophies and all that jazz. Dictatorship of the lowest common denominator, again and again.

Likes pinball1970

Beach boys

• Love
Likes DennisN and dlgoff
More Beach Boys and is sometimes my favourite song of all time, when it's not Pinball or Strawberry Fields. Top ten for desert Island.

Likes difalcojr and DennisN
While I've grown tired of Pink Floyd in general, I can't deny that lyrically and musically, it's some of the best music I've ever heard:

Likes DennisN, pinball1970 and BillTre
Pythagorean said:
While I've grown tired of Pink Floyd in general, I can't deny that lyrically and musically, it's some of the best music I've ever heard:

I've got all the .MP3 files of those tunes from that album (The Wall).

• Love
Likes DennisN, pinball1970 and BillTre

• Love
Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
There is an F# hum that is not in the sheet music...;)

Here (at 01:00) they also play an introduction before the music 4:33 :smile:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and Hornbein
This is a fun piece written for crumhorns, bombardes, voils and other 16th century instruments

BWV said:
This is a fun piece written for crumhorns, bombardes, voils and other 16th century instruments

That was nuts, I was expecting something would Shakespeare would tap his foot to.
This was more like UFO closing titles.

from 12.37

• Haha
Likes BWV

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
BWV said:

I'm holding out for the Death Metal version.

Hornbein said:
I'm holding out for the Death Metal version.
That was the original version where the quartet members were also supposed to pilot the helicopters while they played

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and Hornbein
BWV said:
That was the original version where the quartet members were also supposed to pilot the helicopters while they played
Kids these days don't know what real music is.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
BWV said:

BWV said:
Playing the violin whilst flying a helicopter…what could possibly go wrong?

I think I will try that mode of transport after visiting my juggling dentist.
The amazing J. Smith. BDS

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes BWV
pinball1970 said:
Playing the violin whilst flying a helicopter…what could possible go wrong?

I think I will try that mode of transport after visiting my juggling dentist.
The amazing J. Smith. BDS
Lol, that part was just my joke

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
BWV said:
Lol, that part was just my joke
You got me!

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
Welcoming Charles Berthoud to our Valhalla of awesomehood.

Solo ebass.

• Love
Likes Astronuc and pinball1970
Hornbein said:
Welcoming Charles Berthoud to our Valhalla of awesomehood.

Solo ebass.

I have seen this guy, amazing technique.

BWV said:

I thought it was going to be some cleverly co-ordinated arrangement!

BWV said:

Actually it made more sense around 6 minutes in ..

BWV said:

Then went very weird at 7.23

I have long thought Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains The Same was great music but unusually poorly recorded and performed. Fortunately there is another version. The Song Remains The Same/The Rain Song There is nothing else at all like it.

Part of the secret is that he's using a twelve string guitar. Unusual that. But even if it were a six string the chords and rhythms and such would remain unique. I think it is based on guitarist Jimmy Page's love for the singular music of Joni Mitchell, but as you may hear he's taken it all a long way further. But enough of this technical stuff. I don't know that I've ever heard anything else so relentlessly energetic. It goes on for quite some time and doesn't flag for an instant. And not a bit of blues or single note playing. It's all two or three part harmony. Dang.

Followed by the quiet of The Rain Song, here featuring the dual role acting of Yao Ren Mao of China. See/hear for yourself.

One day Jimmy Page happened to attend the same party as did Joni Mitchell. Would he care to be introduced? He was too intimidated. No, thank you. Some other time perhaps.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
Rockabilly lives.

Ralph Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending (HD version) - Iona Brown & Sir Neville Marriner/ASMF
And now for something completely different and peppy

Santana, Everything's Coming Our Way, Santana III, September 1971
Carlos Santana, Samba Pa Ti, Abraxas, 1970
Santana, Europa, Amigos, 1976
Santana, Flor d'Luna, Moonflower, 1977
I saw Santana during his Moonflower tour in 1977

Likes difalcojr and pinball1970
“Lark ascending” RVW, was the last concert I went to before lockdown, pretty certain.
Bridgewater hall Manchester, amazing

Likes Astronuc
I'd say this has got to be the punchiest trap drumming in the history of Earth.

I bet Senri weighs less than 100 pounds. The camera is so heavily focused on her that I thought she was playing along with a recording. The band is terrific but has no fame. I believe that for each famous musician there are at least 10 just as good who don't go the fame route. The aren't even credited! That's really extreme. All I could get was this in Montreal so I guess they're locals. And I think the lighting is great.

Last edited:
Back