Mutual Inductance (Require EMF to Distance equation)

In summary, a buggy is being designed to track an inductive wire using two inductor sensors. The wire carries 20Vac pk-pk, 125ma at 10kHz. The sensor circuit has a ratio of 2:1 and outputs a waveform of 10Vac pk-pk, which is then rectified to 5V DC. This is fed into an ADC input on an ATMega328 programmed in arduino. The goal is to calculate the physical distance between the wire and the sensor using the ADC input, but the relationship is not linear and may follow 1/D2 according to Ampere's law. Further information is needed to determine the exact relationship.
MathsDude69
Hey Folks. I am currently designing a buggy which tracks an inductive wire using two inductor sensors. The wire is carrying 20Vac pk-pk , 125ma at 10kHz. I have designed a sensor circuit which has a ratio of 2:1 ie it outputs a waveform of 10Vac pk-pk (assuming 100% mutual inductance). This is the precision recitifed to 5V DC (with some ripple ofcourse). I am feeding this into an ADC input on an ATMega328 programmed in arduino. I am trying to caluculate from the ADC input the physical distance between the wire and the sensor.

Im presuming that the relationship in not linear and is possibly along the lines of 1/D2 in accodance with amperes law, although this ofcourse gives force and not induced emf.

Does anyone know??

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is a phenomenon in which a change in current in one conductor induces a voltage in another conductor that is in close proximity. It is an important concept in electromagnetism and is the basis for the functioning of many devices such as transformers and motors.

2. How is mutual inductance different from self-inductance?

Mutual inductance is the result of the magnetic field created by one conductor affecting another conductor, whereas self-inductance is the result of the magnetic field created by a single conductor affecting itself. Mutual inductance requires two or more conductors, while self-inductance only requires one.

3. How is mutual inductance measured?

Mutual inductance can be measured using an instrument called an inductance meter. This meter applies an alternating current to one of the conductors and measures the resulting voltage in the other conductor. The ratio of voltage to current is the mutual inductance.

4. What is the equation for mutual inductance?

The equation for mutual inductance is M = (N1 * N2 * μ * A) / l, where N1 and N2 are the number of turns in the two conductors, μ is the permeability of the material between the conductors, A is the cross-sectional area of the conductors, and l is the distance between the conductors.

5. How does the distance between the conductors affect mutual inductance?

The distance between the conductors has a direct impact on the mutual inductance. As the distance increases, the mutual inductance decreases. This is because the magnetic field created by one conductor weakens as it moves further away from the other conductor, resulting in a weaker induced voltage.