My big confusion about what to study

In summary, Pursue a field that arouses your interest: whether it's physics, engineering, or something else. Don't pursue engineering solely because you think you can make a difference in reversing climate change.
Mayank Jately
Hi,
i am currently in class 10 and have a lot of interest in physics(mostly quantum ,particle and astrophysics) and want to pursue it further but climate change occurring vigorously around us worries me a lot .what should i do ? pursue physics or pursue a course like engineering which will help in reversing climate change?Mayank

Physics news on Phys.org
Pursue physics.

Likes bhobba
Mayank Jately said:
Hi,
i am currently in class 10 and have a lot of interest in physics(mostly quantum ,particle and astrophysics) and want to pursue it further but climate change occurring vigorously around us worries me a lot .what should i do ? pursue physics or pursue a course like engineering which will help in reversing climate change?Mayank
Pursue whichever you are most interested in, but keep you mind open to other subjects.

What is "class 10"?

Mayank Jately said:
Hi,
Pursue a field that arouses your interest: whether it's physics, engineering, or something else. Don't pursue engineering solely because you think you can make a difference in reversing climate change. Even if you do come up with technical solutions, you will find that implementing those solutions will largely be out of your hands: political and business interests will substantially drive what actually gets done (or not), even if technological solutions are available.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
symbolipoint said:
What is "class 10"?

I am sure he means grade 10.

Thanks
Bill

Mayank Jately said:
climate change occurring vigorously around us worries me a lot .what should i do ?

I think you are a bit too worried about climate change. It is real and a problem, but the general media doesn't usually point out we have a lot of very talented people working on solutions if it gets out of hand; which is not as certain as some alarmists make out it is. If you want to work on the solution then that's fine, but just be sure its what really interests you.

If you like QM I would suggest at grade 10:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691024170/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471827223/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465075681/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0465062903/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks
Bill

1. What are some factors to consider when deciding what to study?

Some factors to consider when deciding what to study include your interests, skills, career goals, job market demand, and personal values.

2. How can I narrow down my options when choosing a field of study?

You can narrow down your options by researching different fields, taking career assessments, talking to professionals in various industries, and considering your strengths and weaknesses.

3. Is it important to choose a major that aligns with my career goals?

While it is not necessary to choose a major that directly aligns with your career goals, it can be beneficial in terms of gaining relevant skills and knowledge for your desired career path.

4. What if I am interested in multiple subjects and can't decide on one to study?

You could consider a double major or minor in both subjects, or look for interdisciplinary programs that combine multiple fields of study. You could also explore career options that incorporate aspects of both subjects.

5. How can I ensure that I am making the right decision about what to study?

Making the right decision about what to study can be challenging, but you can increase your chances by researching your options, talking to academic advisors and professionals in your desired field, and gaining hands-on experience through internships or job shadowing.