My brother needs to borrow my copy of WinXP

• Thread starter Mallignamius
  • Start date
In summary: Indian accent. I think she was from India, and she was really nice. After explaining the situation, she decided to activate XP for me over the phone.In summary, my brother needs to borrow my copy of WinXP Pro, but I'm not clear on whether or not I can install it on another computer. Microsoft needs to be more clear about their license agreement.
chaoseverlasting said:
I want to know something, will video games work on linux? Its the only reason I haven't switched over yet, cause I hate microsoft's guts. Bill Gates was a smart dude and made his pile, but his company still stinks.

Will games like NFS/Counterstrike/etc work on Linux?
Short answer is if you have to ask you'll probably not get it working anyway. Most do work & decently too if you have the patience for it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
m.. Yea.. You can buy OEM windows online.. Click here for an example.. Also, who said that genuine windows checks and registration was the same thing? I didn't. I even explained the effect of failing a genuine windows check. Maybe you're the one confusing things here. ;)
Really?
The End User License Agreement (EULA) for OEM software, including Windows XP, states that the software is licensed as a single integrated product in connection with the hardware. However, it's important to remember that the end user cannot see nor accept the electronic EULA until the software is installed on a fully-assembled computer system. So, even though the original OEM software unit may have been distributed with a component, like a hard drive, it isn't until the software is installed on a fully-assembled computer system that it becomes "married" to the hardware.
http://oem.microsoft.com/downloads/Public/sblicense/English_SB_License.pdf
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/enroll.mspx

Go read more about it at microsoft.com

newegg are selling OEM software with hardware. I know exactly how it works. As I said you don't buy a standard copy of OEM on the internet. Just to clarifty that you can't legally without breaking the Licensing buy a copy of OEM software on the net. There are ways around that which is the exception to the rule. Not the rule its self!
Companies like Newegg are getting around the restriction of selling OEM software by bundling Windows Vista with a small piece of hardware, such as drive cables or other inexpensive accessories. Microsoft warns though, that support becomes the end user's responsibility.
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=210069&start=0
OEM has to do with support issues (hence the name, Original Equipment Manufacturer). If your company had OEM computers and they removed the stickers from the cases or the cases from the computers, then they invalidate their support from whoever they bought the computers from and Microsoft won't give support because it's the seller of the OEM software that is responsible for providing that support.
Its called Original Equipment Manufacturing because it has to be bundled with hardware, yes if you break the license you break your support: From your link:
Original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, is a term that refers to a situation in which one company purchases a manufactured product from another company and resells the product as its own, usually as a part of a larger product the original company is selling
Now, if you'd like me to teach you more about OEM, you should've just asked me! I guess it's my fault for just trying to provide the best advice for the person who created this thread.
:rolleyes:
P.S. You shouldn't state "facts," unless you know they are actually true. It's a waste of everyone's time, including your own. I say this for your benefit.
I never do that, but thanks for your condescending little quip

Last edited by a moderator:
But Anttech, you wrote, "You don't ever buy a standard copy OEM on the internet you get it bundled with a PC. That is why I was referring to the "Dell" CD you get with a new laptop."

That's just what I did. I didn't buy a new PC. It might be against the license agreement, but that's still what was done.

If you didnt buy *any* hardware with your OEM copy, and you arent going to assemble a PC with it, yes you broke the license.

Ok perhaps I should have said you can't do it legally

I broke it?? I thought it was required by the license to sell with hardware. I was expecting the hardware component but didn't get it. How does that mean I broke it? The advertisement stated that it would "ship with a nonperipheral component."

Last edited:
Mallignamius said:
I broke it?? I thought it was required by the license to sell with hardware. I was expecting the hardware component but didn't get it. How does that mean I broke it? The advertisement stated that it would "ship with a nonperipheral component."
Fair point, I am not a lawyer, all I know is that the OEM license is broken if its not followed, and it seems it hasnt been followed in your case.

Who is actually to blame for that is another thing all together.

Have you demanded in writing the hardware you are referring to?

In other news, 3.3 is out & I'm a little kid at christmas all over again.

Should I bother? I'm thinking that they might try to protect their behinds by claiming it was sent, and I loathe the thought of playing "He said She said." I don't know how I could prove otherwise, unless anyone has any ideas.

Anyways, I think I will hang up this thread now. I do appreciate the help you've all given and will consider everything very carefully in the next few months. *hits print button*

No problemo. Good luck. :)

Eh, don't mean to start this thread up again, but I have installed (transferred) my XP Pro disc on many computers before. If it didn't activate immediately, all I did was call and tell the person that it was only being put on one PC. They say ok and that's it. I didn't even need to tell them something broke. I simply said I was reformatting or said I got a new PC and that XP wasn't on the previous PC anymore. What exactly is the issue here?

The issue is helping me to understand the terms of the EULA for an OEM WinXP Pro that was already installed on an old computer, with the intention of later transferring it to a new computer. The differentiation is clarified between a standard version and an OEM version.

Oh ok. Sorry about that. I thought you were upset because you couldn't transfer it period.

I am. Or so a strict interpretation of that particular EULA seems to be.

Oh. Well you can transfer it. Just call Microsoft to help you if it activate on its own. I do it all the time.

GTdan said:
Oh. Well you can transfer it. Just call Microsoft to help you if it activate on its own. I do it all the time.

The person doesn't want to break his software contract. He knows it won't have any consequences for himself and would be very easy to do so, but he wants to follow the rules here.

Thanks for the comments though. :biggrin:

BoredNL said:
The person doesn't want to break his software contract. He knows it won't have any consequences for himself and would be very easy to do so, but he wants to follow the rules here.

Thanks for the comments though. :biggrin:

I see. Well...o:)

If there was no limit to the computers that you could install it on then they wouldn't sell much of their os at all because one person could just host it on the internet and then everyone could install it. Boom, no more profits.

That's precisely what was happening, but we're talking about OEM software here, which is different than retail.