Reassigning keys in Win 11 (keyboard shortcuts)

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary: I don't think using a laptop pad would work. My laptop is on the wrong side of the keyboard from my mouse (which is under my left hand).
DaveC426913
Gold Member
As a leftie, I'm at a disadvantage because hot keys (such as Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V) are on the wrong side of the keyboard from my mouse (which is under my left hand).

Worse, my new laptop doesn't even have a right-Ctrl key; only a left-Ctrl.

Instead, they apparently felt that this
1677781245288.png
inscrutable combination of characters was what users needed directly under their right thumb.

Anyway, I can't seem to find a way to reassign the function of a key. At least, not without installing a third-party app.

There's lots of stuff about making "shortcuts" and hotkeys that activate apps, but I'd like to turn that into a Ctrl key, and if that's possible, setup say, right-Ctrl-[ as Copy and right-Ctrl-] as Paste.Suggestions?

Computer science news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
...assumes a right Ctrl key...
:frown:

I know, I know, but look through that search hit list. Nothing else helpful?

Likes Vanadium 50 and DaveC426913
berkeman said:
I know, I know, but look through that search hit list. Nothing else helpful?
Thanks, I hadn't actually thought of looking for alternate shortcuts for lefties.

It might be helpful to think about what key you want to map to the missing Ctrl and search on that,.

Vanadium 50 said:
It might be helpful to think about what key you want to map to the missing Ctrl and search on that,.
Oh. Copy and Paste.

Shift-Insert works for Paste but I could use a right-side-of-keyboard equivalent for Copy.

I do a lot of data entry so it would save me a lot of time.

Also, I am doing it through a VPN into a virtual desktop, and somewhere in that pipeline is a utility that deletes the clipboard as fast as it can. I don't know what component it is but it seems to be able to clear the clipboard buffer about ten times per second. If I want to copy anything - anything at all - from, say a Notepad doc to another Notepad doc both open on the virtual desktop, I have to hammer Copy no less than ten times - then Paste - within one second, or the clipboard is either empty or it's full of whatever is in my IRL desktop clipboard.
Very weird. (If anyone wants to troubleshoot this mystery, I'm happy to provide better deets.)

Anyway, the upshot is that I need to hit Copy about ten thousand times in a day.

"Copy" and "Paste" are not keys. It might be helpful to think about what key yopu want to map to the missing Ctrl and search on that,.

For example, "I want to swap Alt with Ctl".

Vanadium 50 said:
"Copy" and "Paste" are not keys. It might be helpful to think about what key yopu want to map to the missing Ctrl and search on that,.

For example, "I want to swap Alt with Ctl".
Well, as mentioned in the OP:

I'd like this
1677781245288-png.png
to be a right-Ctrl key.

And how do you attempt to use a backslash?

I don't think what you want is what you want. :wink: If you replace a control key by a printing key, you lose the ability to print that letter. You'd come right back and complain you didn;t have access to c:\path\file .

Who would write code to do that?

DaveC426913 said:
As a leftie, I'm at a disadvantage because hot keys (such as Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V) are on the wrong side of the keyboard from my mouse (which is under my left hand).
What about something much simpler, like switching the hand you use the mouse with?

Years ago I was involved in writing a book on programming, and doing a lot of testing of the code in it, which require a lot of mouse button clicks. As a result I started having problems with my right wrist. I don't think it was carpal tunnel syndrome, but the wrist was highly inflamed. To help with this problem, I started using the mouse with my left hand, which eased the irritation in my right wrist.

Likes CalcNerd and berkeman
Mark44 said:
like switching the hand you use the mouse with?
I use my mouse with my non-dominant hand.

I'm a leftie, and I use my dominant hand for my mouse.

Although, counter-intuitively, I do not set the mouse buttons for left-hand use. I hold my mouse thusly:
1677975005543.png

so the left-click is under my index finger.

I have never found mice (mouses?) comfortable with both index and middle fingers on it. There's not enough passive support, and my wrist tendons get tired "hovering" over the buttons, and that makes me accidentally click a lot.

Can you use your laptop pad? Or if you are on a desktop, can you get a USB pad to use instead of a mouse?

berkeman said:
Can you use your laptop pad?
Horrible, evil invention.

Touchpad on a laptop is the equivalent of pedals on an electric motorcycle - only there to meet legal requirements.

DaveC426913 said:
Touchpad on a laptop is the equivalent of pedals on an electric motorcycle
Bad metaphor. I don't have an electric motorcycle, but all of my motorcycles have at least one pedal (for the rear brake) and the two oldest ones have an additional pedal for the clutch.

• Sad
Likes DaveC426913
Mark44 said:
I don't have an electric motorcycle, but all of my motorcycles have at least one pedal (for the rear brake) and the two oldest ones have an additional pedal for the clutch.
I think he means the kind of pedals that you pedal to make the bike go. There's a reason to still put pedals on electric bicycles, but not many people merge their energy into the electric drive, in my experience.

berkeman said:
I think he means the kind of pedals that you pedal to make the bike go.
Yep, I knew that, but a pedal is a pedal, whether it's to make the bike go or to make it stop...

Likes berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
Anyway, I can't seem to find a way to reassign the function of a key. At least, not without installing a third-party app.

DaveC426913 said:
Also, I am doing it through a VPN into a virtual desktop, and somewhere in that pipeline is a utility that deletes the clipboard as fast as it can. I don't know what component it is but it seems to be able to clear the clipboard buffer about ten times per second. If I want to copy anything - anything at all - from, say a Notepad doc to another Notepad doc both open on the virtual desktop, I have to hammer Copy no less than ten times - then Paste - within one second, or the clipboard is either empty or it's full of whatever is in my IRL desktop clipboard.
Very weird. (If anyone wants to troubleshoot this mystery, I'm happy to provide better deets.)

Anyway, the upshot is that I need to hit Copy about ten thousand times in a day.

Sounds to me that re-assigning a key wouldn't resolve that VPN/Virtual Desktop issue.
So, I'd go with a third party app like https://www.autohotkey.com/

Would Microsoft be a "third party"?

Possibly helpful:
https://www.howtogeek.com/830094/how-to-remap-any-key-or-shortcut-on-windows-11/
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/a...o-import-a-custom-keyboard-layout-created-wit

Possibly helpful:
https://windowsreport.com/keyboard-layout-windows-11/
https://keys.direct/blogs/blog/how-to-remap-keyboard-keys-windows-11

For Windows 10 (maybe works on 11?):

robphy said:
Sounds to me that re-assigning a key wouldn't resolve that VPN/Virtual Desktop issue.
It should. The software would send through a Ctrl-C stroke through the VPN, regardless of how it was generated.What does not work is the Context Menu on my kb:
1678068387873.png

which seems to trigger a mouse right-click.

1. How do I reassign keys in Win 11?

In Win 11, you can reassign keys by going to Settings > Devices > Keyboard > Advanced keyboard settings. From there, you can click on "Input language hotkeys" and then "Change key sequence" to assign new shortcuts for specific keys.

2. Can I reassign keys to open specific programs or files?

Yes, you can reassign keys to open specific programs or files by creating a shortcut for the program or file and then assigning that shortcut to a specific key combination in the Advanced keyboard settings.

3. Will reassigning keys affect the default keyboard shortcuts in Win 11?

Yes, reassigning keys in Win 11 will override the default keyboard shortcuts. It is important to keep track of the new assignments to avoid confusion.

4. Can I reassign keys on a per-user basis in Win 11?

Yes, you can reassign keys on a per-user basis in Win 11. Each user can have their own keyboard shortcuts assigned in the Advanced keyboard settings.

5. Is it possible to revert back to the default keyboard shortcuts in Win 11?

Yes, you can revert back to the default keyboard shortcuts in Win 11 by going to the Advanced keyboard settings and clicking on "Restore defaults" under the "Change key sequence" option.