My first Proof Tell me what you think please

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving trigonometric functions, specifically sin, cos, tan, cot, sec, and csc. The proof is based on the relationship sin(90-theta) = cos(theta) and involves showing that two triangles are congruent using the ASA (angle-side-angle) theorem. There is a minor mistake in the original proof, but it can easily be corrected.
Miike012
Proving... sin(90-theta) = cos(theta)
along with tan.. cot.. and sec.. csc...
short proof... please let me know if it is correct... thank you.

Attachments

• First.jpg
    First.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
I see one mistake. You have sin(90 - theta) = GR/OM. That fraction should be GR/OR, according to your drawing.

Sorry... that's what I ment to say... but besides that... is it ok?

Yeah. Fix that and you should be good.

In case your instructor is very picky, you can show that OS = GR by showing that the triangles OSR and OGR are congruent. Both are right triangles, and angle SOR = angle GRO. Also, angle GOR = angle ORS. Since two angles and the included side of one triangle are congruent to the corresponding two angles and included side of the other triangle, the two triangles are congruent. (ASA - short for angle-side-angle)

thnks

What is a proof in science?

A proof in science is evidence that supports a hypothesis or theory. It is the result of a scientific investigation that has been rigorously tested and verified.

Why is it important to have a proof in science?

A proof in science is important because it allows scientists to confidently support their claims and conclusions. It also provides a basis for further research and understanding of a particular topic.

How do scientists conduct a proof?

Scientists conduct a proof by following the scientific method, which involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, and analyzing data to come to a conclusion.

What is the difference between a proof and a theory?

A proof is a specific piece of evidence that supports a hypothesis or theory, while a theory is a well-tested and widely accepted explanation for a phenomenon. A proof can contribute to the development and support of a theory, but a theory encompasses a broader understanding of a topic.

Can there ever be a definitive proof in science?

In science, it is rare to have a definitive proof as new evidence and information can always arise. However, scientific proofs are continually tested and refined, leading to a deeper understanding and confidence in the conclusions drawn from them.