I did a proof (I think, please check my reasoning)

• Thread starter Jamey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, when given the conditions a and b are real numbers, and a < b < 0, it can be proven that a^{2} > b^{2} using the properties of inequalities. This can be accomplished by first recognizing that both a and b are negative, since they are less than zero. From there, it follows that ab > b^{2} and a^{2} > ab. By transitivity, it is evident that a^{2} > b^{2}, and thus the proof is complete.
Jamey

Homework Statement

Suppose that a and b are real numbers. Prove that if [itex]a < b < 0[/itex], then [itex]a^{2} > b^{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Properties of inequalities?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I did the final proof:

Given that a and b are real numbers and [itex]a < b < 0[/itex], we notice that both a and b are negative since they are less than zero. It follows that, [itex]ab > b^{2}[/itex] and [itex]a^{2} > ab[/itex]. Because [itex]a^{2} > ab[/itex] and [itex]ab > b^{2}[/itex] it is evident that [itex]a^{2} > b^{2}[/itex]
Q.E.D.

Please let me know if my reasoning was, well, reasonable. If not, give me some suggestions for proof. This is a problem out of chapter 3 in Velleman's How To Prove It, Second Edition.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are allowed to use "if a< 0 and b< c then ab> ac" yes, that is a valid proof.

There are only three axioms for < in the definition of the real numbers, and one of them is about the concept of "least upper bound". The other two are:

1. For all x,y,z, if x<y then x+z<y+z.
2. For all x,y, if x>0 and y>0 then xy>0.

You shouldn't use any statements that involve inequalities other than the assumptions that go into the theorem, these two axioms, and theorems that you have already proved in this way. But you are of course allowed to also use the axioms about addition and multiplication, and theorems derived from them. In particular, you can use that ##(-a)^2=a^2##.

If you would like to prove this theorem in this way, without using any other theorems about inequalities, I suggest the following approach: First use the assumption and axiom 1 to prove that 0<-a, 0<-b and 0<b-a. Then use these results with axiom 2. At some point, you should use that < is a transitive relation. (If x<y and y<z, then x<z).

1. What is the purpose of doing a proof?

The purpose of doing a proof is to demonstrate the validity of a statement or claim using logical reasoning and mathematical principles. It allows us to verify whether something is true or not.

2. How do you know if your proof is correct?

A proof is considered correct if all of its steps are logical and valid, and it follows the accepted rules and principles of mathematics. It should also clearly explain the reasoning behind each step and lead to the desired conclusion.

3. What should be included in a proof?

A proof should include a clear statement of what is being proven, the assumptions or given information, and a step-by-step logical argument that leads to the desired conclusion. It should also use proper mathematical notation and language.

4. Can a proof be wrong?

Yes, a proof can be wrong if it contains mistakes in its logical reasoning or uses incorrect assumptions or principles. It is important to carefully review and check each step of a proof to ensure its accuracy.

5. How do you check if your proof is correct?

One way to check if a proof is correct is to try to disprove it by finding a counterexample or a situation where the given statement is false. Another method is to have someone else review and critique the proof for any errors or inconsistencies.