1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My other post was obviously too long, so I'll shorten it to a sentence:

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    Comparing either physics or mathematics, which degree would be more useful to somebody, who has the time to do as much post-grad study as is necessary, to become a theoretical physicist?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2
    General consensus on this forum is physics, wherein you'll end up a good chunk of the math. It's more important to have a broad and through understanding of physics then math.

4. Feb 26, 2010 #3
    Thank you for the reply. Could you recommend any books that are good at introducing someone who has not been in academic study for over 5 years, and left at 17years old, to the world of basic mathematics and physics? I'm travelling at the moment, but would like to sink my teeth into some useful material so I'm not starting from absolute ground zero when the course begins.

I know it's not completely relevant, but just as a thought experiment, looking at the course options available, what route would you suggest taking for someone looking to get into theoretical physics (quantum field/quantum gravity).

Here's the link: http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/b27.htm

I do plan on pursuing a Masters and PhD after the degree.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  5. Feb 26, 2010 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook