My other post was obviously too long, so I'll shorten it to a sentence:

  • Thread starter Thread starter TalkOrigin
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
TalkOrigin
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Comparing either physics or mathematics, which degree would be more useful to somebody, who has the time to do as much post-grad study as is necessary, to become a theoretical physicist?

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
TalkOrigin said:
Comparing either physics or mathematics, which degree would be more useful to somebody, who has the time to do as much post-grad study as is necessary, to become a theoretical physicist?
General consensus on this forum is physics, wherein you'll end up a good chunk of the math. It's more important to have a broad and through understanding of physics then math.
 
story645 said:
General consensus on this forum is physics, wherein you'll end up a good chunk of the math. It's more important to have a broad and through understanding of physics then math.

Thank you for the reply. Could you recommend any books that are good at introducing someone who has not been in academic study for over 5 years, and left at 17years old, to the world of basic mathematics and physics? I'm traveling at the moment, but would like to sink my teeth into some useful material so I'm not starting from absolute ground zero when the course begins.

I know it's not completely relevant, but just as a thought experiment, looking at the course options available, what route would you suggest taking for someone looking to get into theoretical physics (quantum field/quantum gravity).

Here's the link: http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/b27.htm

I do plan on pursuing a Masters and PhD after the degree.

Thanks.
 
Last edited: