My professor takes manual attendance for 150+ students

In summary, my professor calls out our names one by one to take attendance because attendance/participation is 15% of our grade, even though there are over 150 registered students in this lecture hall.. :(Maybe he should set up a RFID Reader on his podium and have everyone pass by it instead.How long does that take? Assuming 5 seconds per name, including the in-between, that is more than 10 minutes.Seems like a waste of time. Out of curiosity, how old is your professor?Around 40 maybe?Better yet, put together that system (or barcode, or whatever is on your student IDs), and give it to him as a present (& extra
When I was young, I hated attendance check by my professors. I skipped or dropped those elective classes. And those that were compulsory to take were just a real pain to endure coming in on time. Later in life I've realized no matter how much freedom or what types of work I am offered, I need to finish any within a given time-frame I or some else already set up for me to trade for money, for food and for joy. Also, being quite attentive during someone's performance is a good sign of showing one's respect. Things you have to always remember are that there are no such subjects or courses requiring students to take that are not a programmed part of your major; students usually don't see how important they are until later, which is why I think they need to be pro-active in their communication with their professors or related associates to understand why they should take the course and to eliminate such behaviors or misunderstandings as not to be so lazy for classes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
256bits said:
That's 2 to 1 .
If I was the professor, I would still win, professor vote worth a majority of 51%..
:)

Sure, and I think the students have largely no option. That's the beauty of being the professor, you get to implement whatever inefficient, asinine policies you want. It doesn't mean it's the most educational modus operandi.

I brought a watch today and timed it. It was just under 15 minutes; 14 minutes and some seconds change.

<h2>1. How does the professor keep track of attendance for so many students?</h2><p>The professor most likely uses a spreadsheet or attendance software to record the attendance of each student manually.</p><h2>2. Is it difficult for the professor to take manual attendance for such a large class?</h2><p>Yes, it can be challenging for the professor to take manual attendance for a large class. It requires a lot of time and effort to accurately record the attendance of each student.</p><h2>3. Are there any drawbacks to taking manual attendance for a large class?</h2><p>One drawback is that manual attendance can be prone to human error, leading to inaccurate records. It also takes up valuable class time and can be tedious for both the professor and students.</p><h2>4. Why doesn't the professor use a digital attendance system?</h2><p>There could be various reasons for this. Some professors prefer to take attendance manually as it allows them to interact with each student and get to know them better. Others may not have access to a digital attendance system or may not be comfortable using technology.</p><h2>5. How does the professor handle absences or mistakes in the attendance records?</h2><p>The professor may have a policy in place for handling absences or mistakes in attendance records. They may allow students to provide proof of their absence or may have a system for correcting any mistakes in the records.</p>

1. How does the professor keep track of attendance for so many students?

The professor most likely uses a spreadsheet or attendance software to record the attendance of each student manually.

2. Is it difficult for the professor to take manual attendance for such a large class?

Yes, it can be challenging for the professor to take manual attendance for a large class. It requires a lot of time and effort to accurately record the attendance of each student.

3. Are there any drawbacks to taking manual attendance for a large class?

One drawback is that manual attendance can be prone to human error, leading to inaccurate records. It also takes up valuable class time and can be tedious for both the professor and students.

4. Why doesn't the professor use a digital attendance system?

There could be various reasons for this. Some professors prefer to take attendance manually as it allows them to interact with each student and get to know them better. Others may not have access to a digital attendance system or may not be comfortable using technology.

5. How does the professor handle absences or mistakes in the attendance records?

The professor may have a policy in place for handling absences or mistakes in attendance records. They may allow students to provide proof of their absence or may have a system for correcting any mistakes in the records.