Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My professor takes manual attendance for 150+ students

1. Aug 28, 2014 #1
    So at the beginning of every lecture, my professor calls out our names one by one to take attendance because attendance/participation is 15% of our grade, even though there are over 150 registered students in this lecture hall.. :(

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2014 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe he should set up a RFID Reader on his podium and have everyone pass by it instead.

4. Aug 28, 2014 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How long does that take? Assuming 5 seconds per name, including the in-between, that is more than 10 minutes.

5. Aug 28, 2014 #4

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

Seems like a waste of time. Out of curiosity, how old is your professor?

6. Aug 28, 2014 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Perhaps that's his way of protesting that he has to teach such large classes.

7. Aug 28, 2014 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But why make the students pay, even if that is the reason the prof is doing that? I doubt it is their fault . If I was going to take a class with someone whom I knew did that, I would ask everyone in the class to change their name into a much longer one, like Joseph Robert Andrew Lorenzo Charles Jackson-Garcia D'Angelo. That should put the prof. out of breath after around 30 names.

8. Aug 28, 2014 #7
    I haven't been able to time it because no cell phones are allowed in class and I don't have a watch. But I am able to review the entire day's lecture by the time he finishes, which is sort of good I guess so I can familiarize myself with the material beforehand (even though I do it before every lecture anyway).

Around 40 maybe?

9. Aug 28, 2014 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Better yet, put together that system (or barcode, or whatever is on your student IDs), and give it to him as a present (& extra credit project). :biggrin:

10. Aug 28, 2014 #9

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

Another option that he has is to ask clicker questions in class.

11. Aug 28, 2014 #10
    I doubt our destitute school would ever approve of funding that, even if it was for one class. We can't even afford projectors for our lecture halls

12. Aug 28, 2014 #11
    Would a ten minute snap quiz to hand in at the end of the lecture be a waste of student time or being making them pay? Professor could evaluate the quizes as 15% of grade.

I don't see how sitting for 10 minutes and waiting is a waste of time, Make the best of it.

13. Aug 28, 2014 #12

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

Because at least a ten minute quiz at the end seems like it motivates the students to study or pay attention. This is ten minutes of sitting listening to names being called. I think this is almost objectively a waste of everyone's time.

14. Aug 28, 2014 #13
    This is all a subjective argument about waste of time.

If the professor would start the class 10 minutes later, without a role call, the students would then be in a position to make "better" use of that ten minutes. Would they?

I think it is nitpicking on what this one professor does, since all of the other professors do not.
    If role calling was standard for all classes, the argument would go away.

One waits for the bus, the doctor, the line-up in the bank, the taxi, the traffic, the red light.
    A measly ten minutes for role call seems hardly something to gripe about.

15. Aug 29, 2014 #14
    How many lectures has he done this for?

16. Aug 29, 2014 #15

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well considering there's only a ~ 15% attendance/participation probably not very long to count at all :wink:

Dave

17. Aug 29, 2014 #16

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Look on the bright side.

Now when you pass her in the quad you can say "Hello miss "????" " to that beautiful girl who sits a couple rows ahead of you.

Good luck.

Y8AuCrUJWQI [/youtube] old jim

18. Aug 29, 2014 #17

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

And if the class lasts an hour they are wasting 13% of the class on calling roll. Instead, if they used that time to lecture, the students would receive (conservatively) at least 10% more lecture from the professor. Presumably the students are paying for lecture time from the professor and so this guy is wasting their money. Other professors don't call roll because it's a stupid idea that has no place in a college classroom.

19. Aug 29, 2014 #18
    I agree with ZombieFeynman, this is not a good argument.

What about 11 minutes? 12? 20?

Students are paying money to go to lectures and be taught. The professor is there to instruct, not to babysit. I understand the idea of ensuring students are there (and in university I had professors do this with quizzes or clicker questions), but to waste 10 minutes or more of class time calling role? No, that is a waste of the students' time and money.

What to do about it? I don't know, probably nothing, just learn to deal with it. Sometimes there are crummy situations in life which you can't do much about.

20. Aug 29, 2014 #19

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What?? How on Earth does that make sense! 15% would jump your grade where I'm from and you get that just for turning up?!

21. Aug 29, 2014 #20

CAF123

Gold Member

My uni used to do this for the first years to count the attendance at the lectures. While the electronic clicker system is still in operation, they no longer take attendance because they found that students would give the clickers to their peers to register attendance for them. It confuses me that people go to such a bother. Surely by uni stage you have developed an interest for your subject and are mature enough to not care for these 'canny' tactics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook