My proof that the square root of 2 multiplied by r is irrational

In summary, the conversation is about a proof by contradiction for proving that r√2 is irrational, where r is rational and r ≠ 0. The individual asking for tips on how to improve their proof explains their steps, including the use of the proof that √2 is irrational. The responder suggests stating restrictions on variables explicitly, clarifying certain steps, and addressing issues with solving for x. They also mention that there is a simpler proof using the fact that the product or quotient of two rational numbers is rational, and recommend writing the proof as a narrative.
airbusman
Here it is, for you to critique. This is a proof by contradiction. This is a good example of how I usually go about doing proofs, so if you give me tips on how to improve this particular proof, I'll be able to improve all my other proofs.

I just learned how to do proof by contradiction yesterday, so forgive any ugliness in my proof.

Homework Statement

1) Prove: r√2 is irrational, where r is rational and r ≠ 0

variables involved:

r, rational
m, integer
n, integer
a, integer
b, integer
a', integer
b' integer
x, integer
y, integer

Homework Equations

Knowledge of the proof that √2 is irrational was used. That is all.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) r√2 = (m/n)√2 = a/b (this is assuming that Q in the implication P→Q is negated, which is the basis of the proof by contradiction)

2) (m√2)/n = 2a'/2b' = a'/b'

a'/b' = x/y, where at least one of x or y is odd (this is where the contradiction will lie later on)

3) (m√2)/n = x/y

m√2 = xn/y

√2 = xn/ym

2 = ((x^2)(n^2))/((y^2)(m^2))

2y^2m^2 = x^2n^2

.....after solving for x.....

x^2 is even therefore x is even

4) x = 2k

2y^2m^2/n^2 = 4k^2

.....after solving for y....

y^2 is even so y is even

So there is a contradiction; both x and y are even when at least one of x or y should be odd. Therefore, the statement that was required to be proved is true.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a much simpler proof. Hint: the product (or quotient) of two rational numbers is rational.

(I didn't look carefully at your proof as it's way more complicated that it needs to be.)

I would recommend writing your proof as a narrative, giving explicit information about what you are doing.

I think you need to state that ##n \neq 0##, ##b \neq 0##, etc. Or, ##m, n, a, b \in \mathbb{Z}^*##. I understand the restrictions on the variables contextually, but I like to be certain when dividing by a variable that I am not dividing by 0.

Step 2 is not clear. Also, I think you need to say something about a and b being relatively prime. The same for m and n.

There is an issue just before step 4. You don't give the information, you just said you solved for ##x##. But then, how do you know:

##x^2 = 2 \frac{y^2 m^2}{n^2}##

is even? An integer times 2 is even... but here you have a rational number times 2.

I do think you can work from this information, but you have to do something different algebraically.

1. What is the square root of 2 multiplied by r?

The square root of 2 multiplied by r is a mathematical expression that represents the product of the square root of 2 and the value of r, which can be any real number.

2. How do you know that the square root of 2 multiplied by r is irrational?

I know that the square root of 2 multiplied by r is irrational because it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This is known as the irrationality of the square root of 2, and when multiplied by any real number r, the result will also be irrational.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate the irrationality of the square root of 2 multiplied by r?

Sure, let's say r = 3. When we multiply the square root of 2 by 3, we get 3 times the square root of 2, which cannot be simplified to a whole number or a fraction. Therefore, it is an irrational number.

4. How can this proof be useful in real-life applications?

The proof that the square root of 2 multiplied by r is irrational has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It helps in accurately calculating and measuring quantities in the physical world, as well as in developing algorithms and models that rely on precise mathematical calculations.

5. Are there any exceptions to this proof?

No, there are no exceptions to this proof. The irrationality of the square root of 2 multiplied by r holds true for all values of r, as long as r is a real number. This is a fundamental mathematical concept that has been proven and accepted by the scientific community.