My signature as well as those of others are present when I log in

• Thread starter GCT
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about issues with setting and viewing signatures and avatars on a forum website. One person is experiencing the same problem as others and is wondering if it is normal. Another person suggests that the ability to view signatures might be turned off for guests. The topic then shifts to setting avatars, with one person trying to set their profile picture as an avatar. It is explained that the two are distinct and instructions are given on how to set an avatar. The conversation ends with one person successfully setting their avatar despite receiving an error message.
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My signature as well as those of others are present when I log in however all of them disappear when I log off. Is this normal ?

Physics news on Phys.org

That's what happens for me, too. Presumably the ability to view signatures is turned off for guests.

Good so it's not just me. Do you have any idea why this is the case ?

Perhaps I should've started a new post but this seemed like an appropriate thread. I can't set my signature? Does anyone know why or where a reference is for stuff like this? I also don't have an avatar (even though I have one in my profile). After years of infrequent use, I'm finally personalizing my account.

Nevermind. I need to upgrade. I've been planning on doing that anyway. Go ahead and ignore this.

And also related, I just gave myself an avatar. I can see it in my profile but not on my posts. Is there something else I needed to do?

epenguin said:
And also related, I just gave myself an avatar. I can see it in my profile but not on my posts. Is there something else I needed to do?

You've set your profile picture. You need to go back to your My PF page and click the edit avatar option in the sidebar menu.

I do that several time. I get the address of the image in my computer in the box, I click the save changes, it is still the same. :confused:

epenguin said:
I do that several time. I get the address of the image in my computer in the box, I click the save changes, it is still the same. :confused:
As Kurdt said, you have set a profile picture which is distinct from an avatar. Follow the instructions that Kurdt gave and you should be able to set an avatar.

Are you on the following page?

https://www.physicsforums.com/profile.php?do=editavatar

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you. I did that and got the message "upload of avatar failed". I am not very good with computers but had enough experience to know that it had therefore probably succeeded, and it has.
I know computer people have some system of logic into which the above 'therefore' fits; I have not mastered it but that is off topic.

Thank you Kurdt and Hootenenany.

epenguin said:
I did that and got the message "upload of avatar failed". I am not very good with computers but had enough experience to know that it had therefore probably succeeded, and it has.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:​

epenguin 1, computers 0. :biggrin: :biggrin:

What does it mean when my signature and others' signatures are present when I log in?

When you log in to a system or website, you may see your own signature as well as the signatures of other users. This means that multiple users have accessed the system or website and have left their unique mark or identification on it.

Why do I need to have a signature when logging in?

Having a signature when logging in serves as a form of authentication. It confirms that you are the authorized user and have access to the system or website. This helps to protect your personal information and prevent unauthorized access.

Can I change my signature when logging in?

It depends on the system or website. Some may allow you to change your signature, while others may use a standardized signature for all users. If you have concerns about your signature, you can reach out to the system or website's support team for assistance.

What happens if I forget my signature when logging in?

If you have forgotten your signature, you may not be able to log in to the system or website. In this case, you should try to reset your password or contact the system or website's support team for further assistance.

Is my signature secure when logging in?

The security of your signature when logging in depends on the system or website's security measures. It is always best to use a strong and unique password to protect your account and signature. Additionally, make sure to only access the system or website from a secure and trusted device.