Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My signature as well as those of others are present when I log in

1. Aug 16, 2008 #1

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My signature as well as those of others are present when I log in however all of them disappear when I log off. Is this normal ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Signature

That's what happens for me, too. Presumably the ability to view signatures is turned off for guests.

4. Aug 16, 2008 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good so it's not just me. Do you have any idea why this is the case ?

5. Dec 20, 2008 #4

Perhaps I should've started a new post but this seemed like an appropriate thread. I can't set my signature? Does anyone know why or where a reference is for stuff like this? I also don't have an avatar (even though I have one in my profile). After years of infrequent use, I'm finally personalizing my account.

6. Dec 20, 2008 #5

Nevermind. I need to upgrade. I've been planning on doing that anyway. Go ahead and ignore this.

7. Dec 20, 2008 #6

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And also related, I just gave myself an avatar. I can see it in my profile but not on my posts. Is there something else I needed to do?

8. Dec 20, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've set your profile picture. You need to go back to your My PF page and click the edit avatar option in the sidebar menu.

9. Dec 21, 2008 #8

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I do that several time. I get the address of the image in my computer in the box, I click the save changes, it is still the same. :confused:

10. Dec 21, 2008 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As Kurdt said, you have set a profile picture which is distinct from an avatar. Follow the instructions that Kurdt gave and you should be able to set an avatar.

11. Dec 21, 2008 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

12. Dec 21, 2008 #11

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thank you. I did that and got the message "upload of avatar failed". I am not very good with computers but had enough experience to know that it had therefore probably succeeded, and it has.
    I know computer people have some system of logic into which the above 'therefore' fits; I have not mastered it but that is off topic.

Thank you Kurdt and Hootenenany.

13. Dec 21, 2008 #12

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ​

epenguin 1, computers 0. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?