Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MySpace Group Hacked And Deleted

1. Dec 11, 2006 #1
    Last night someone hacked the World Artist's Network, which was MySpace very largest forum, and deleted the whole thing.

For hours I couldn't log on and thought it was just a server problem or something someone could easily fix. Instead, today, word started filtering around that someone had deliberately sabotaged the forum.

I am really surprised that someone could do this. By which I mean, that the forum isn't better protected from this sort of thing. Someone said it's happened to other forums there as well.

The moderator instantly contacted the MySpace central control, but, surprisingly, they haven't replied yet or done anything to try and recover the forum. In the mean time he started a new forum where people could gather, and survivors of the deleted forum have been straggling in all day, suffering from withdrawal and shock.

They located the profile from which the hacking took place but the person claims their profile, itself, was hacked and used as a base to perform the sabotage.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2006 #2
    Myspace has never been noted as being well protected. From what I hear, its a easy hack.
    Even the blogs on my own Myspace, are backed up in another site.
    Sorry to hear about that group being hit.
  4. Dec 11, 2006 #3
    If there are alot of people on the group, perhaps your own server/forum website would be a viable option. I don't have much experience with myspace so I am not sure.

It's pretty sad how one or two people can derive pleasure by ruining a good thing. :/
  5. Dec 11, 2006 #4

Gold Member

Does myspace allow backups to be taken? When I helped run a messageboard elsewhere, they were known to be vulnerable so it was routine to backup the database weekly. Then it was simply a case of restoring it to the most recent backup when it went down. Its quite sad the amount of times I've seen a group lost because the owner couldn't be bothered to do this routinely.

Its a shame that people feel the need to do things like that.
  6. Dec 11, 2006 #5
    I have no idea how any of this operates. The moderator and the MySpace owners are going to have to sort it out. There was a massive number of members in this group, but probably only about 100 active members at any given time.

There's a rumor it was the saboteur's revenge for having his artwork criticised and dismissed, but so far that's just a rumor.
  7. Dec 11, 2006 #6
    One of my friends was telling me that he made a script that saved a backup of his forums to his server and to gmail once every few days. Kinda neat. Then once in a while, he would make a hard copy of all of the backups... Worked pretty well.
  8. Dec 12, 2006 #7
    It was, inexplicably, back up and online for a few hours today, then went down again. The moderator has no idea what happened. There's very little communication between the people who start and run these forums and the technical people who keep MySpace operational. They still haven't gotten back to him about any of the problems.
  9. Dec 12, 2006 #8
    Here is a post from the group leader:

This part sounds strange to me:

Is it really possible to be affected by simply viewing something? Doesn't the hacker have to send something into your computer via a cookie or something?
  10. Dec 12, 2006 #9
    For more MySpace related issues with exploits, this gives an interesting look at the security. Or lack thereof, I should say. They have almost frequently gotten targeted by XSS exploits.
  11. Dec 12, 2006 #10
    What are XSS exploits? Some kind of hackers club?
  12. Dec 12, 2006 #11
    Cross site scripting (XSS) is a type of computer security exploit where information from one context, where it is not trusted, can be inserted into another context, where it is. From the trusted context, an attack can be launched.

Some in-depth information about the XSS exploits on MySpace, you could read this
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?