Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mystery equation written by an 8yr old

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1
    I have a question, at this looks like the most likely place to get an answer. My son wrote an equation on his wall when he was 8 yrs old. He has a learning disability, and could not know this kind of math... Dr. Claude Swanson is working on it right now, but I was hoping someone else could help me dicipher it too. Something to do with Bessel functions? I do not knw what that means.

I have been told the first line is simple, but I do not understand this type of math
    (a + bi) * ( a- bi) = a^2 + b^2

then there is a lot of stuff that I really do not understand...

Hnm = J* Sn Sm = Psi = A [Jm (kr)+rhom (k) Ym (kr)]

does this make sense to anyone??????? Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Is Dr. Swanson a pediatrician?

4. Sep 1, 2009 #3
    berkeman, no he is not a pediatrician, he is a physicist!!! And I do not understand what he was trying to tell me about Bessel functions! He said he would try to find a way to explain it, if he could make sense out of it....thank you for the relpy:) hope you can help me understand it.

Dr. Claude Swanson was educated as a physicist at MIT and Princeton University. During those years he worked at the MIT Science Teaching Center, Brookhaven National Laboratory and a Virginia cyclotron in the summer. At Princeton he received the National Science Foundation Fellowship and Putnam Fellowship. His Ph.D. thesis at Princeton was done in the "Gravity Group," which focuses on experimental cosmology and astronomy, and was headed by Nobel laureate Robert Dicke. His thesis advisor was Prof. David Wilkinson, who later became chairman of the physics department.

5. Sep 1, 2009 #4
    The first equation is difference of squares. It is a standard equation leaned in high school. However, in this example complex numbers are used.

6. Sep 1, 2009 #5

negitron

Science Advisor

He is a crackpot.

http://www.synchronizeduniverse.com/

7. Sep 1, 2009 #6

berkeman

Yoiks! I liked him better as a pediatrician.

8. Sep 1, 2009 #7

negitron

Science Advisor

Would you send your kids to him? :tongue:

9. Sep 1, 2009 #8
    He just wrote Bessel and Neumann functions which describe the behavior of waves in a cylinder. He must have picked up a book on electromagnetism, PDEs or mathematical physics and went over it. With the right guidance he can do well.

10. Sep 1, 2009 #9

berkeman

And with that nice piece of advice by waht, I'll close this thread. Crackpot material is not permitted in the forums.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook