Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

N-point Green's function in QFT

1. May 27, 2010 #1
    Hello!
    Something about N-point Green's function in QFT really troubles me......
    In the path-integral formalism,why will we introduce the N-point Green's function? I mean is it enough because we have calculated the 2-point green's function.
    And in the canonical formalism, it seems we can finish the calculation of transition amplitude only with the help of 2-point Green's function(Wick contraction)
    What are the differences?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2010 #2
    What is the equation satisfied by the 2-point Green's function in an interacting field theory?

4. May 27, 2010 #3
    Using the pertubative expansion and the definition of N-point Green's function.Because of the pertubation,i can only calculate the 2-point Green's function.But i really can't find the eqution it satisfies.

5. May 27, 2010 #4
    Funny, because it carries your name. :)

6. May 28, 2010 #5
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but when we renormalize the coupling constant, don't you need to calculate the 4point function?

And in calculating the S matrix, you can get some N point function, which has to be reduced to 2 point functions using Wick's contraction, but with all sorts of symmetry factors which you use Feynman diagrams to account for?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook