Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name for the connection between a receptor and neuron?

  1. Aug 7, 2016 #1
    Hello, is there an official word that describes the connection (or "information exchange") between a receptor (or effector) and the neurons that they touch?

    I know that between neurons, there is a synaptic connection, and between muscles, that would be kinesthetic connection (I am guessing) but what would be the connection between a muscle cell and a neuron be termed?

    Thanks for any thoughts!
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2016 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    2017 Award

    Synapse is a general term for a junction between two cells. Most commonly it refers to chemical synapses in the nervous system, but there are also immunological synapses that mediate communication between immune cells.

    The term for the synapse between neurons and muscle cells is a neuromuscular junction.
  4. Aug 8, 2016 #3
    Perfect! Thanks @Ygggdrasil!

    By the way, is there a word for a junction between sensory cells and afferent nerves? I tried googling it but didn't find anything. ("Neurosensory junction"?)

    Thanks again
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted

Similar Discussions: Name for the connection between a receptor and neuron?
  1. GABA(A) Receptors (Replies: 2)