Neurons, DNA, Memory and Learning

In summary, neurons in the body have mostly the same DNA, but mutations can occur in some cells causing mosaicism. Neurons do not get instinct behaviors directly from DNA. There is no limit to how many different stimuli a nerve cell can transmit, but in vivo the typical neuron pulses at less than 10 per second. Learned behaviors are not stored in single neurons, but rather in modified "Hebbian cell-assemblies" and can be weakened or strengthened through synaptic connections.
Here's another question about the brain:

I wonder if there has been any research in figuring out specifically which parts of the brain are involved in the processes that allow humans (and some other social animals) to have the "theory of mind" ability? Would that be only the pre-frontal cortex or some other parts too? (including the amygdala of course)

Also, humans clearly have the ability of performing high end rational, computational functions, and the ability to ask and answer the question "why", and be able to say things like "I know that you know that I know". Have by any chance these functions been assigned to a specific area in the brain that only humans (and no other animals) possess?

Biology news on Phys.org
icakeov said:
Would that be only the pre-frontal cortex or some other parts too? (including the amygdala of course)

The amygdala is, at best, distally related to any "theory of mind" capacity. You're more on the mark with the prefrontal cortex. Again, as I've said in other posts, it is not helpful to try to compartmentalize brain functions with specific regions. In the literature, we call this "localizationalist" models of brain function. "Theory of mind" models are well-presented in the literature, but they are at present speculative enough to be be relegated to the psychological journals.

Likes icakeov
icakeov said:
And thanks DiracPool. I am really realizing after reading all the answers here why it is said that the brain is such a complex system.
With the way it works, it sounds like, the brain as a whole is constantly active, and depending on what environment a specific organism is in, it will learn different things, perhaps not the best learning at times when the brain is not exposed to it, but the neurons are firing regardless, hungry to accumulate learning.

Yeah, another book I recommend is Walter Freeman's "Society of brains."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805820175/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It was actually (still is) a favorite book of mine. I held out to get the paperback version cause I'm a cheap a#$. But I did meet him at a conference in 2003 in Memphis and had him sign the book. Of course, somehow I lost the book.

The principal message in that book, though, is that the brain is a dynamic system that creates it's own activity, it doesn't necessitate external stimuli for the most part. What the brain does is USE environmental stimuli to drive behavior. This as opposed to a model where the environmental stimuli DRIVES behavior. This is an important distinction.

Basically, since it is impractical to segregate brain functions into specific brain areas, because they are so deeply integrated throughout the whole brain, perhaps it would be a bit more descriptive and helpful to say that for this specific example, it is the "socially intelligent species" that have developed brain capacities of "theory of mind" and "empathy". Keeping it descriptive like this could be much more practical than trying to point out a specific brain area, except of course, for the prefrontal cortex, as one example of a brain part that performs very specific task in certain species.
And thanks for that book recommendation, I will check it out, sounds really interesting and exactly what I am looking for to answer all these questions. :)

Here is another thing I am curious about:
Instant traumatic emotional conditioning. If it takes a brain many reinforcements to learn something, how is it that when it comes to traumatic experiences, something can be conditioned in an instant, for life?
Is this some kind of a big "cluster" of reinforced patters firing back to back a thousand times in a few seconds, creating a very strong neural pathway?
Or is there some other procedure, perhaps a simpler one, at work?

Likes atyy
icakeov said:
Here is another thing I am curious about:
Instant traumatic emotional conditioning. If it takes a brain many reinforcements to learn something, how is it that when it comes to traumatic experiences, something can be conditioned in an instant, for life?
Is this some kind of a big "cluster" of reinforced patters firing back to back a thousand times in a few seconds, creating a very strong neural pathway?
Or is there some other procedure, perhaps a simpler one, at work?

I think this is not fully understood. However, simple considerations like what you mention suggest there are, as said before, different types of learning in different parts of the brain. They differ in whether they constantly store memories, or only when memories are "emotional" enough, as well as in how many times something has to happen before it is remembered, or how quickly it is forgotten.

You can google "one-shot learning" to see what you get. There are animal models too, eg. the link given in post #7.

Likes icakeov
Here's another question, this one is more in lines of memory/learning/communication transfer between different species.
Although we can't "talk' to whales, dogs or cats, we clearly are able to communicate with them on some level. I am imagining that there is certain types of interactions that we share with animals, perhaps on an emotional level? Or authoritarian level?
I've read stories of children running away from home and being adopted by wolves for a few years. And similarly, humans have pet animals that they coexist with.
But can any of this "co-living" be labeled as proper "social communication and/or interaction"?
I found this chart that seems to be pretty descriptive:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_relation
Where on this list would the interaction between humans and their pets be? And vice versa, if a human lived amongst animals (another example that comes to mind is that guy that hangs out with lions and hyenas)
Even thought we can't pass on mathematics on to our pet cats, can we pass on behavioral learning. Can we "compare" or "equate" the learning cats get to the ones humans have. Do they have same (or similar) types of neural pathways that deal with that kind of learning? Or are they in their "own world", acquiring type of learning in their neural pathways that is completely different from ours? I would imagine it would be basically the same, as all mammals evolved to have the amygdala, unless its function drastically changed since we parted in evolution from our ancestors.
On that note, I can imagine that cetaceans might have a way of thinking and communicating that is completely foreign to us and we couldn't understand even if we tried, mainly because our brains don't have the cortex evolved in the same way as them.

icakeov said:
Where on this list would the interaction between humans and their pets be? And vice versa, if a human lived amongst animals (another example that comes to mind is that guy that hangs out with lions and hyenas)
Even thought we can't pass on mathematics on to our pet cats, can we pass on behavioral learning. Can we "compare" or "equate" the learning cats get to the ones humans have. Do they have same (or similar) types of neural pathways that deal with that kind of learning? Or are they in their "own world", acquiring type of learning in their neural pathways that is completely different from ours? I would imagine it would be basically the same, as all mammals evolved to have the amygdala, unless its function drastically changed since we parted in evolution from our ancestors.
On that note, I can imagine that cetaceans might have a way of thinking and communicating that is completely foreign to us and we couldn't understand even if we tried, mainly because our brains don't have the cortex evolved in the same way as them.

I think you're pretty much on the mark here. Humans have the ability to use a formal structure to perform operations on recorded manifestations of stimuli in an unhindered fashion. This is what gives rise to language, art, mathematical ability, and the "texting" phenomenon in teenagers. Non-human animals do not have this capacity, but they pretty much have everything else.

Likes icakeov
I'm pondering another angle to this thread.
Which animals have the capacity to culturally transmit information?
I saw a reference from the "thinking ape" book that intelligence is ability to respond flexibly to new or complex situations, to learn and to innovate, and social intelligence the ability to pass on to others this new innovated information that is not genetic.
And currently there are a few identified socially intelligent animals besides humans, such as cetaceans, apes, elephants, then there is crows, rats, more birds. Even fish seem to be able to do simple copying behaviors, such as "follow" the movement of their school and retain that information, which I imagine wouldn't necessarily fall into the category of "intelligence" as they don't necessarily respond to complex situations nor innovate.
I am wondering if there is any information out there that describes a necessary prerequisite for an animal species to be able to start culture transmission amongst their brains? For example, certain part of the brain that would have evolved at one point, without which no animal can stand a chance to retain and transmit information in their community through generations?
Hope I was clear enough with this question. Thanks again :)