Name of a concept in math analysis in English

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept's main theorem, the Implicit Function Theorem. It states that if a function satisfies certain criteria at a given point, then there exists a continuous function that relates the two variables. The definition of this theorem can be difficult to write down, but the key information is that it deals with implicit functions.
nuuskur
Science Advisor
The concept's main theorem goes as follows:
Suppose that [itex]w = F(x,y) [/itex] satisfies the following criteria at point A = (a,b).
[tex]\begin{cases}\exists\delta > 0\colon F\ is\ continuous \forall (x,y)\in B(A,\delta)\\
\exists \frac{\partial}{\partial y}F , continuous \\
F(A) = 0, F_y \neq 0\end{cases} \Rightarrow \exists y = f(x) continous[/tex]

The absolute correct definition is an utter pain to get written down, though that's not my purpose. This is enough information to be able to recognize what I am getting at. We call these things "undeveloped" or "inexplicit" functions, but I can't find anything with those keywords so it's (again) my apparent lack of vocabulary that's at work here :<

Mathematics news on Phys.org
nuuskur said:
The concept's main theorem goes as follows:
Suppose that [itex]w = F(x,y) [/itex] satisfies the following criteria at point A = (a,b).
[tex]\begin{cases}\exists\delta > 0\colon F\ is\ continuous \forall (x,y)\in B(A,\delta)\\
\exists \frac{\partial}{\partial y}F , continuous \\
F(A) = 0, F_y \neq 0\end{cases} \Rightarrow \exists y = f(x) continous[/tex]

The absolute correct definition is an utter pain to get written down, though that's not my purpose. This is enough information to be able to recognize what I am getting at. We call these things "undeveloped" or "inexplicit" functions, but I can't find anything with those keywords so it's (again) my apparent lack of vocabulary that's at work here :<
I think this is the Implicit Function Theorem. In English, the opposite of "explicit" is "implicit", not "inexplicit."

Likes nuuskur
much appreciated.

What is the concept of limits in math analysis?

Limits in math analysis refer to the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It is an important concept in calculus and is used to understand the behavior of functions near a specific point.

How is the concept of limits used in real life?

Limits are used in various real-life applications such as predicting the growth of populations, understanding the behavior of stock prices, and determining the maximum safe speed of a vehicle on a curve. They are also used in physics to describe the motion of objects and in economics to analyze supply and demand.

What is the difference between one-sided and two-sided limits?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function approaching a specific value from one direction, either from the left or the right. A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of a function approaching a specific value from both directions.

How do you calculate limits algebraically?

To calculate limits algebraically, you can use techniques such as factoring, simplifying, and finding common denominators. You can also use the rules of limits, such as the sum, difference, and product rules, to evaluate limits of more complex functions.

What are the common misconceptions about limits?

One common misconception about limits is that they represent the actual value of a function at a specific point. In reality, a limit only describes the behavior of the function near that point. Another misconception is that limits always exist, when in fact, some functions may not have a limit at a certain point due to oscillation or discontinuity.