Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name of something that is forced to look a certain way

1. Dec 7, 2014 #1
    I was looking up information about phi and how it seems apparent everywhere in nature, debatable. I stumbled upon this photo which is quite funny:

XK6aI1e.jpg

This got me thinking about how people try to fit and force data to match whichever hypothesis they have. This is more jokingly, I think. However, Phi (golden ratio) seems particularly applicable to many scenarios (especially metaphysical) which people apply to many things entirely unfounded/unrelated. It's this way with many ambiguous concepts which seems to have the ability to fit many things. What is this idea called? or the logical fallacy I am sensing? would it just be considered the fallacy of ambiguity?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I read about a similar circumstance where the pyramids were said to be built using pi. At first it was quite surprising that the Egyptian engineers did that until someone said the pyramid height was N cubits tall and the base was N rolls of a cylinder of diameter of 1 cubit.

Here's an article that talks about and how it got debunked:

http://egypt.hitchins.net/the-pyramids/pyramid-myths/khufus-pyramid-does-not.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Dec 7, 2014 #3
    -Wikipedia

5. Dec 8, 2014 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Fox News.

6. Dec 9, 2014 #5
    Confirmation bias does seem to be the one! Thanks all

7. Dec 9, 2014 #6
    I think a lot of the golden ratios people claim exist are just inexact measurements, and if it's close to 1.618, they say "close enough" and it's added to the list of things that conform to that ratio.

8. Dec 9, 2014 #7

Danger

Gold Member

That can be said for just about anything that a partisan group wants to "pigeon-hole". Wars have been fought over such things.

9. Dec 9, 2014 #8

Evo

We don't discuss 'golden ratio' woo woo here, so let's not go there.

10. Dec 9, 2014 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Ooops! You know how much I disdain and ignore math...
    To me, "golden ratio" is a reference to the proportions used when drawing or modelling a human body. (ie: The perfect whole body is 8 heads tall.) :redface:

11. Dec 9, 2014 #10

Evo

It's also the source of a ton of woo woo. I know you do not woo. :biggrin:

12. Dec 9, 2014 #11

Danger

Gold Member

And once again I had to veer off to Google in a total state of perplexity. I have absolutely never seen that term used in print, and certainly not in polite company. The only time that I've heard it was on Yank TV in reference to, uh... lady parts...

13. Dec 9, 2014 #12

Evo

Never even heard of it as in 'to woo a woman" as in 'to court her"? But woo woo is cracked pottery.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  14. Dec 9, 2014 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Sure, but when doubled it apparently takes on an entirely new context.

15. Dec 9, 2014 #14
  16. Dec 9, 2014 #15

Danger

Gold Member

17. Dec 9, 2014 #16
    LOL, he is even worse than me.

18. Dec 9, 2014 #17
    From definition #11:
    I'm pretty sure this is right, that the term started as an imitation of the kind of music they use for atmosphere in paranormal movies and shows. Like the sound of the theremin. I also think the term is more prevalent in the UK than the US.

19. Dec 9, 2014 #18
    I would also mention confirmation bias, but there is also something called apophenia;

20. Dec 9, 2014 #19
    I learned a new word apophenia :D
    However random things in front of me are, if my mood is better soothed with the outcome from their random connections, I think I'm leading a happy life.
    If the connection is done on purpose then that should no longer be called 'random'. I love random fables to bend my thoughts fabulously.

21. Dec 9, 2014 #20

Danger

Gold Member

I'm really starting to wonder what they put in your tea at the home...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook