1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name of the set of negative integers

1. Sep 4, 2010 #1
    I know that N (natural numbers) is the set of non-negative integers, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4...infinity, and that Z is the set of all integers, both positive and negative. But what is the name or representation of the set of negative integers?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't recall seeing it given a specific name. I sometimes see decorations like
    [tex]\def\ZZ{\mathbb{Z}} \ZZ^+ \, \ZZ^> \, \ZZ^{\geq} \, \ZZ^- \, \ZZ^{\leq}[/tex]​
    to specify various subsets of the integers (the positive elements, the elements greater than 0, the elements greater-than-or-equal-to zero, et cetera).

4. Sep 4, 2010 #3
    Ugh, it would seem logical that it would have a name independent of denoting a particular part of Z.

5. Sep 4, 2010 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, it really doesn't have one. Frankly it's more common to pull an element n from N and write -n, rather than pull an element m from [tex]\mathbb{Z}^{<}[/tex] and write m.

6. Sep 5, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Why would that seem logical? What do you perceive as the reason for "naming" sets of numbers?

7. Sep 8, 2010 #6
    Because the negative integers are not the non-negative integers?

8. Sep 8, 2010 #7
    Actually N often denotes the positive integers, which again begs the question of why does labeling any set of numbers matter at all.

9. Sep 9, 2010 #8
    There is no strong convention, but Euler considers 0 to be part of the set of natural numbers; I'll go with him on it ;)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook