Naming systems physics vs biology

In summary, the conversation discusses the naming systems in physics and biology, specifically the use of eponymous names and the playfulness and formality of naming conventions. While physics tends to use eponymous names for units, theories, and inventions, biology relies more on technical Latin roots. However, there are still examples of humorous and informal names in biology, such as Drosophila genes and diseases named after their discoverers. Overall, there are differences in naming systems between the two fields.
SUDOnym
(I think I could equally have posted this in the biology section!).

I know nothing about formal structure of biology..and hope that I will be enlightened.

My question is to do with naming systems in physics vs naming systems in biology..
In physics nearly all units that you care to mention are eponymouse eg. Newton, watt, joule, gauss,... etc..
Is there an equivelant in biology?
further, in physics (and maths and chemistry) pretty much all theories and inventions are eponymous, eg. feynman integral, einstein coefficients, Newton's laws, Greene's theorem... I could name a hundred million more!
again, Is there something similar to that in biology?

Finally, there is a kind of playfulness or lack of formality in some names thought up physicists and astronomers. an obvious example for playfulness is the acronyms MACHOs and WIMPS. Regarding lack of formality, look at the names of subatomic particle "strange" "charm" "up" "down" etc... In astronomy (as Neill De Grasse Tyson often points out), there is very strong tendency to name things very informally (ie. they are named after what they look like). eg. the "red spot" on jupiter. any nebula you can think of - "cat's eye" "dumbbell" etc...

Does this lack of formallity and sometimes humerous naming exist in biology? - as an outsider (and again this is pointed out by Tyson) much of biology naming systems seem to have very technical latin roots and so on...

All comments appreciated!

Biology news on Phys.org
Well, diseases are often named after the discoverer. A very curious tradition in my opinion, it doesn't really give a family name a positive vibe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genetic_disorders

There are certainly humorous names as well, the Drosophila genes would be the best example. I don't know the best website, but this a nice list to get you started: http://jpetrie.myweb.uga.edu/genes.html or http://sciencereview.berkeley.edu/articles/issue2/flyname.pdf

As an example, the gene that causes Drosophila embryos to lack a heart is called tinman. Flies with swirling wing-hair patterns carry a mutation in Van Gogh. Grim and reaper both play a role in cell death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Monique said, many diseases are named after their discoverers (you might be familiar with Alzheimers, Parkinsons, Hunnington's disease etc). Well you have chemicals like draculin and traumatic acid. Another one I like is Janus family of Protein Kinases (both because of the name followed now and the name that was originally given to it).
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janus_kinase

What is the difference between naming systems in physics and biology?

In physics, naming systems are primarily based on mathematical principles and often use symbols or numerical values to represent objects, concepts, or phenomena. In biology, naming systems are based on the hierarchical classification of living organisms, using Latin or Greek words to describe their characteristics and relationships.

Why is it important to have a consistent naming system in science?

A consistent naming system in science allows for clear communication and understanding between scientists, as well as avoiding confusion and potential mistakes. It also allows for easy organization and retrieval of information in databases and literature.

How do scientists decide on names for new discoveries in physics and biology?

In physics, names for new discoveries are often chosen based on their fundamental properties or characteristics. In biology, names are chosen using the Linnaean system of binomial nomenclature, which includes the genus and species name of the organism.

Are there any similarities between naming systems in physics and biology?

Both naming systems in physics and biology aim to accurately and precisely describe and classify the natural world. They also both require adherence to specific rules and conventions in order to maintain consistency and avoid confusion.

Do naming systems in physics and biology ever change?

Yes, naming systems in both physics and biology can change over time. In physics, new discoveries may lead to changes in terminology or the development of new symbols. In biology, advances in technology and research may result in the reclassification of organisms or the addition of new levels in the hierarchical classification system.