Graduate School Advice: Control Theory vs. Optoelectronics vs. Electromagnetics

In summary, the speaker is a senior studying Electrical Engineering and is currently applying for graduate schools and fellowships. They are considering pursuing a PhD but are unsure which subdiscipline of Electrical Engineering to focus on. They are torn between control theory/control systems engineering, which would satisfy their love for math, and optoelectronics/electromagnetics, which would allow them to learn more about physics. They are also considering industry or government research positions in the future and believe that an advanced engineering degree would make them more marketable. They are seeking advice and examples of potential jobs within each specialization.
Only a Mirage
Hey everyone. I'm hoping to get some advice from you guys. I am a senior studying Electrical Engineering. I am currently applying for graduate schools and for graduate fellowships (everything is mostly due mid-December). I plan to pursue a PhD. The only problem is, I'm not entirely sure which subdiscipline of Electrical Engineering I would like to pursue. I have met with several of my teachers for advice, but I'm still not sure.

I really like math. On the other hand, I really like physics. This has led me to narrow my decision down to two categories: 1) Control theory/control systems engineering, or 2) Optoelectronics or Electromagnetics.

1) Control theory: Control theory seems to be very mathematical, and if I go down a theoretical path in graduate school, it seems like my desire to learn advanced math will be satisfied, while providing me with an advanced degree with decent industry/government prospects. I am taking a control theory course now, and I really enjoy it, particularly the applications of linear algebra. I have also heard of control theory being applied to other non-engineering fields, like biology or economics. The prospect of having the opportunity to work in all sorts of areas is appealing.

The only con is that I may not be learning any physics.

2) Optoelectronics/Electromagnetics (vague, I know): I took two quarters of engineering electromagnetics, and have also read Griffiths which I enjoyed. I also enjoyed learning about semiconductor devices in another course. I am taking senior/first year grad level quantum mechanics in the physics department which I like, but its lack of mathematical rigor is dissatisfying.

Researching in an engineering field that would require me to learn more about these areas of physics is attractive. However, I worry that the level of mathematics will not satisfy me. It sounds as though the relevant math would basically just be things along the lines of solving boundary-value problems and PDEs. This is great and all, but from what I understand, control theory at the advanced level would expose me to differential geometry, calculus of variations, and lie theory to name a few topics.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Note: If I had to choose between learning more math vs. more physics, I would choose math. But obviously if I find out that choice (2) would involve the same level of math as choice (1), that may be the better choice.

I want an advanced engineering degree because my end-goal is to work as an industry or government researcher, possibly starting my own business one day. I feel that an advanced engineering degree would satisfy my intellectual curiosity, while making me more marketable than I would be with, say, a math or physics PhD.

Oh, and what might be examples of industry/government jobs one might have with either of these specializations?

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

1. What is the difference between Control Theory, Optoelectronics, and Electromagnetics?

Control Theory is a mathematical framework for analyzing and designing systems that can be controlled. Optoelectronics is a branch of physics and engineering that deals with the study and application of electronic devices that interact with light. Electromagnetics is a field of physics that studies the behavior and effects of electric and magnetic fields.

2. Which of these fields has the most job opportunities in the current job market?

It is difficult to determine which field has the most job opportunities as it often depends on the specific industry and job market at a given time. However, all three fields are in demand in various industries such as aerospace, telecommunications, and robotics.

3. What are some potential career paths for someone with a graduate degree in Control Theory, Optoelectronics, or Electromagnetics?

Graduates with a degree in Control Theory may pursue careers in control systems engineering, robotics, or autonomous systems development. Those with a degree in Optoelectronics may work in industries such as telecommunications, medical imaging, or renewable energy. Electromagnetics graduates may work in fields such as aerospace engineering, wireless communication, or radar technology.

4. What skills and knowledge are important for success in these fields?

Strong mathematical skills, problem-solving abilities, and a solid understanding of physics are important for success in all three fields. In addition, knowledge of programming languages and software tools, as well as hands-on experience with equipment and systems in the specific field, are also valuable skills for success.

5. Is it possible to specialize in more than one of these fields during graduate school?

Yes, it is possible to specialize in more than one of these fields during graduate school. Many programs offer interdisciplinary courses or allow students to customize their curriculum to include courses from different fields. This can be beneficial for students who are interested in a career that combines aspects of these fields.