Nanotube diameter versus emitting wavelength

In summary, the conversation is about finding the required diameter of a carbon nanotube to emit a wavelength of 800 nm. The speaker mentions a useful reference for studying the different modes of nanotube radiation, as well as the possibility of the modes being dependent on length. They also inquire about a chapter that discusses the range of wavelengths that can be absorbed by these modes.
Bruce Haawkins
Can somebody please help me I am looking for the diameter required of a carbon nanotube to emit a wavelength of 800 nm. If I could just find a graph of nanotube diameter versus emitting wavelength.

Physics news on Phys.org
tech99 said:
There seem to be several modes for nanotube radiation. I found a useful reference as follows:-
https://Newton.ex.ac.uk/research/qsystems/portnoi/HandbookNanophys_proofs_pubs_data.pdf
One of the modes of nano tube radiation seems to depend on length, just as for a metal rod, but there are others to study.
Thanks do you have a chapter on what range of wavelengths such a set of modes will absorb?

1. What is the relationship between nanotube diameter and emitting wavelength?

The diameter of a nanotube affects the emitting wavelength due to quantum confinement effects. As the diameter decreases, the energy levels of electrons in the nanotube become more restricted, resulting in a shift towards shorter emitting wavelengths.

2. How does the diameter of a nanotube impact its optical properties?

The diameter of a nanotube is a critical factor in determining its optical properties. It affects the bandgap energy, absorption and emission spectra, and overall efficiency of the nanotube as a light emitter.

3. Can nanotube diameter be controlled to tune the emitting wavelength?

Yes, by carefully controlling the growth conditions and manipulating the structure of the nanotube, its diameter can be precisely controlled. This allows for the tuning of the emitting wavelength to fit specific applications.

4. Are there any other factors besides diameter that can influence the emitting wavelength of a nanotube?

Yes, the chemical composition and structure of the nanotube, as well as external factors such as temperature and strain, can also affect the emitting wavelength. However, diameter is often the most significant factor.

5. What are the potential applications of controlling the emitting wavelength of nanotubes?

By being able to control the emitting wavelength of nanotubes, we can potentially create more efficient and versatile optoelectronic devices such as LEDs, solar cells, and sensors. This technology also has applications in biomedicine, telecommunications, and environmental monitoring.