Natural direction of pushforwards and pullbacks

In summary, pushforwards and pullbacks are dual operators that allow us to transform vectors and 1-forms from one manifold to another. Pushforwards are easier to visualize since they involve vectors, while pullbacks involve 1-forms. It is a matter of definition and can be described by commutative diagrams. However, the concept can also be extended to transformations between dual spaces.
ergospherical
Given a diffeo ##\phi : M \rightarrow M'## (and with ##f## a function on ##M'##), vectors ##X## can be "naturally" pushed forward with ##\phi_*## from ##T_{p}M## to ##T_{\phi(p)}M'## subject to ##\phi_{*}X(f) \bigg{|}_{\phi(p)} = X(\phi^* f) \bigg{|}_{p}##. And 1-forms ##\omega## are naturally pulled back from ##T^*_{\phi(p)}M'## to ##T^*_p M## subject to ##\langle \phi^* \omega, X \rangle \bigg{|}_{p} = \langle \omega, \phi_* X \rangle \bigg{|}_{\phi(p)}##.

Making use of the inverse ##\phi^{-1}: M' \rightarrow M##, I think it's possible to also push forward 1-forms (##\omega \mapsto \phi_* \omega##) subject to e.g. ##\langle \phi_* \omega, X \rangle \bigg{|}_{\phi(p)} = \langle \omega, {(\phi^{-1})}_* X \rangle \bigg{|}_p##. And similarly I think we can also pull back vectors (##X \mapsto \phi^* X##) subject to e.g. ##\phi^* X(f') \bigg{|}_p = X({(\phi^{-1})}^* f') \bigg{|}_{\phi(p)}##, where ##f'## is a function on ##M## [are these right?].

In any case my question is why do vectors seem to naturally be pushed forward, whilst 1-forms and functions seem too be naturally pulled back... is it simply a matter of definition? Thanks

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
A tangent vector is naturally pushed forward since it is the tangent of a curve ##\gamma## in ##M## and ##\phi\circ\gamma## is then a curve in ##M’## whose tangent is the pushforward.

Likes cianfa72, ergospherical and vanhees71
Intuitively in the general case in which ##\phi : M \rightarrow M'## is not injective we cannot define a pullback of a vector field from ##M'## to ##M## the same way we cannot define a pushforward of a scalar field (function) from ##M## to ##M'##.

In the latter case which would be the value of the function at the point P in ##M'## having as inverse image through ##\phi^{-1}## different values of the scalar field (function) defined on multiple points in ##M## ?

ergospherical said:
In any case my question is why do vectors seem to naturally be pushed forward, whilst 1-forms and functions seem too be naturally pulled back... is it simply a matter of definition? Thanks
I'd say for functions is quite clear, because it is just composing with the map. For dual objects it goes the opposite way. Since vectors evaluate on functions, they are pushed forward. One forms evaluate on vectors, so they are pulled back.

Likes ergospherical
If you have a bijection, then you are automatically disposing of all directions. But bijection in this case means diffeomorphism, which is quite a strong condition.

Pullbacks and pushforwards are dual operators and their existence can be described by commutative diagrams. For short: one is the Jacobi matrix, the other one is its transpose.

Pushforwards are easier to visualize because we can imagine a vector, but not so much a 1-form. It's
$$
(\varphi_*(v))(f)=v(f \circ \varphi) \text{ versus } (\varphi^*\nu)(x) = \nu(\varphi(x))
$$

Your question is a bit like: What if I start with a smooth function ##f^*\, : \,M^*\longrightarrow N^*## on the dual spaces? But don't demand to work this out. I would get lost in directions. However, it's a legitimate setup.

I tried to sort it out here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/pantheon-derivatives-part-iii/
but it is more about definitions than about the why's.

Likes ergospherical and vanhees71

1. What is the natural direction of pushforwards and pullbacks?

The natural direction of pushforwards and pullbacks is the direction in which a function or transformation is applied to a vector or tensor. For pushforwards, this means applying the function to the vector first and then transforming it. For pullbacks, this means transforming the vector first and then applying the function.

2. How do pushforwards and pullbacks relate to each other?

Pushforwards and pullbacks are inverse operations of each other. This means that applying a pushforward followed by a pullback (or vice versa) will result in the original vector or tensor. They are also known as dual operations in differential geometry.

3. What is the significance of pushforwards and pullbacks in mathematics?

Pushforwards and pullbacks are important concepts in differential geometry and topology. They allow for the study of differentiable manifolds and their transformations, and are essential in understanding the behavior of vector fields and tensors on these manifolds.

4. How are pushforwards and pullbacks used in physics?

In physics, pushforwards and pullbacks are used to describe the transformation of physical quantities under different coordinate systems. They are also used in the study of geometric structures, such as spacetime, in general relativity.

5. Can you give an example of pushforwards and pullbacks in action?

One example of pushforwards and pullbacks is in the transformation of a vector field on a curved surface. The pushforward operation would involve applying a function to each vector in the field, while the pullback operation would involve transforming the vectors by the local coordinate system. This allows for the vector field to be described in different coordinate systems and compared between them.