Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Frequency of Stepped Shaft

1. Apr 14, 2009 #1

minger

Science Advisor

Hi guys, I need to find the natural frequencies of a series of pressure rakes. We have a numerical model, but I'd like to confirm with a hand calculation. I would like to model the pressure rakes as a cantilevered beam with varying cross section (i.e. as each tube "stops" the beam decreases in area).

I looked on Ohiolink for journal articles and through Timoshenko's Vibration Problems in Engineering but can't come up with anything. If anyone has an article, or a link somewhere I would appreciate it. Thansk,

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2009 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Your best bet is to plink them. That's what I do. You can get in the area or do a numerical analysis, but it is very difficult to match the boundary conditions they actually see. This way you will get the exact natural frequencies from a quick test that is easy to do.

4. Apr 15, 2009 #3

minger

Science Advisor

Well we're designing them. Ideally we wouldn't want to buy a set, then find out that the parts we just bought have natural frequencies that cross certain excitation lines in our range of operation.

Either way it might be a good idea to plink them after we receive them, but I'd like to have an idea of their response before.

5. Apr 15, 2009 #4
    If I remember correctly you can treat a stepped shaft as a set of torsional springs arranged in series. Have a look at the first chapter of Vibration Problems in Engineering, by Weaver, Timoshenko and Young. I'm pretty sure it covers it in there.

6. Apr 15, 2009 #5

minger

Science Advisor

I 'think' I seen what you are thinking of, but IIRC it didn't quite apply to me. Let me see if I can find it.

Yea,
    OK, so this directly applies to torsional vibration, but I can assume it applies to lateral as well. If so, then how can I calculate equivalent spring constants for the bar?

Would the individual spring constants simply be a long bar, with several hollow cylinders?

7. Apr 15, 2009 #6
    For lateral vibration can't you treat it as a series of masses rotating on a shaft, but with mass and stiffness distributed over the same area? Try a later chapter in that book (or any in the series)...I think it's chapter 5.

Edit: try finding the following paper if your subscription covers it - the approach and references should give you some help.

Yu, S.D. and Cleghorn, W.L.
    Free Vibration of a Spinning Stepped Timoshenko Beam
    J. Appl. Mech. -- December 2000 -- Volume 67, Issue 4, 839 (3 pages)
    DOI:10.1115/1.1331282

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook