Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Logarithm of Negative Numbers

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    Well I came across this when someone asked me this question:

(-2)^n = 16

I can clearly see n=4. However, he did this:

ln((-2)^n) = ln(16)
    n*ln(-2) = ln(16)
    n*ln(2)+n*i*pi = ln(16)

How can I show that n=4 from this???
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2
    It's because n=4 isn't the only possible solution. Remember that log is a multivalued function (like arcsin) -- so introduce the necessary parametrisation, and see that it can be set to zero.
  4. Sep 12, 2007 #3
    Log is a multivalued function since [tex] e^x [/tex] is a periodic function. Remember that Euler showed that

[tex] e^{ix} = \cos{x} + i\sin{x} [/tex] and hence we have that [tex] e^x = e^{x + 2\pi i n [/tex] and more general since [tex] a^x = e^{\ln{a} x} [/tex] it's true that [tex] a^x [/tex] is a periodic function.
  5. Sep 12, 2007 #4
    Can someone please Exemplify??? I get what they say; but I am still stuck...
  6. Sep 12, 2007 #5

D H

Staff: Mentor

You can't, because your friend made a mistake. As written, n=4 is not a solution. He should have used

\ln(-2) &= \text{Ln}(2) + (1 + 2k) \pi i \\
    \ln(16) &= \text{Ln}(16) + 2m\pi i

where [itex]\text{Ln}(x)[/itex] is the principal value of the natural logarithm and [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] are abitrary integers.

Applying the above to [itex]n\ln(-2) = \ln(16)[/itex] yields

[tex]n(\text{Ln}(2) + (1 + 2k) \pi i) = \text{Ln}(16) + 2m\pi i[/tex]

From this you should be able to show that n=4 is but one of infinitely many solutions and also that n=4 is the only pure real solution.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  7. Sep 13, 2007 #6
    Thanks for all your input. In the end I see that it is quite a simple problem. However, thanks for putting me on track...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?